Gear lube leak

genesis78

Cadet
Re: Gear lube leak

FYI, I had to change my impeller this year (had someone show me how), after doing that, I found that the lower shift cable was triggering my interrupt switch and had to have the boat serviced to have it changed. While in the service bay the mechanic found that the lower unit was leaking gear lube at first I thought we must have done something wrong when we changed the impeller but he found that it had ingested some fishing line which had shreaded the shaft seals causeing it to leak. Just thought I would throw it out there.

Dukksoup

Seaman Apprentice

that also is good to know, hopefully My issue isn't a seal problem, I did get new gear oil today and 2 new plugs WITH gaskets for the bottom leg, filled it up with oil and will test 2 morrow evening

Dukksoup

Seaman Apprentice

Well, took the boat out with fresh clean lube in the leg and a fresh cleaned out gear oil resivior, with 2 new lower leg gear oil drain plugs with gaskets installed.I road the boat hard for 1 hour, and NO water was entering the resivior, the problem was the lower magnetic drain plug and gasket, was allowing water to enter the resivior (forceing the water in). Learn't that ALLWAYS change the gaskets when removing drain plug at leg, One thing I noticed is the small leak of gear oil is actually comeing into the boat from the transom , its just above the drain plug? Very tight area to pinpoint,The resivoir , hose and 45 degree fitting that screws into the transom is NOT leaking, could some one tell me what seal that could possibly be? as I am losing about a 1/4 '' every 5 days or so when the boat is on trailer, is this a big job?? thanx to all whom replied with suggestions, much appreciated

Dukksoup

Seaman Apprentice

Well, took the boat out with fresh clean lube in the leg and a fresh cleaned out gear oil resivior, with 2 new lower leg gear oil drain plugs with gaskets installed.I road the boat hard for 1 hour, and NO water was entering the resivior, the problem was the lower magnetic drain plug and gasket, was allowing water to enter the resivior (forceing the water in). Learn't that ALLWAYS change the gaskets when removing drain plug at leg, One thing I noticed is the small leak of gear oil is actually comeing into the boat from the transom , its just above the drain plug? Very tight area to pinpoint,The resivoir , hose and 45 degree fitting that screws into the transom is NOT leaking, could some one tell me what seal that could possibly be? as I am losing about a 1/4 '' every 5 days or so when the boat is on trailer, is this a big job?? thanx to all whom replied with suggestions, much appreciated

also, as long as I'm topping off the oil, am I doing any harm to any thing else? plan on bringing to shop after the weekend, thx

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to download manual 14 from the adult only section of this forum http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=251571

Look in section 4 of the manual. Attached is a picture of what I think is the most logical place for the leak you describe. This assumes the drain plug you're refering to is the bilge drain and not some other drain.​

Look at item 40, 41, 42. This is the line and connector at the transom assembly. Be careful, since the nipple on item 42 is easy to break. This is from page 4B-8 in the manual.​

As long as the drive is full of oil, you probably aren't doing any harm, but it's difficult to tell sitting here at the computer. ;)

Glad to hear that you fixed your previous problem, but I have to say your diagnosis doesn't make sense, at least to me, but I know that at this point it doesn't really matter.​

Attachments

• Alpha Drain Line.jpg
    Alpha Drain Line.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 0

Dukksoup

Seaman Apprentice

You need to download manual 14 from the adult only section of this forum http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=251571

Look in section 4 of the manual. Attached is a picture of what I think is the most logical place for the leak you describe. This assumes the drain plug you're refering to is the bilge drain and not some other drain.​

Look at item 40, 41, 42. This is the line and connector at the transom assembly. Be careful, since the nipple on item 42 is easy to break. This is from page 4B-8 in the manual.​

As long as the drive is full of oil, you probably aren't doing any harm, but it's difficult to tell sitting here at the computer. ;)

Glad to hear that you fixed your previous problem, but I have to say your diagnosis doesn't make sense, at least to me, but I know that at this point it doesn't really matter.​

thanx for the reply and info to read up on Zackman, the leak I'm trying to explain is just above the bilge plug drain, sorry for mabey not explaining myself clearer?? What diagnosis dosen't make sence, sorry for my ignorance as I am learning more and more about this each post, your help is much appreciated!!!

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

What diagnosis dosen't make sence

You state you were getting water into the reservior but there was no water in the drive. Yet you believe that water was entering via one of the drive's drain plugs.

If it was one of the drain plugs on the drive you would have been leaking oil out not drawing water in, since the drive operates at a positive pressure as it reaches normal operating temperature.

I would have thought when the boat was at rest or on the trailer gear lube would be leaking from that drain plug, if it was bad enough to allow water in while running.

Again, kind of difficult to diagnosis through my computer ;) But just some thoughts. Glad to hear that you did correct the problem, however.​

Dukksoup

Seaman Apprentice

You state you were getting water into the reservior but there was no water in the drive. Yet you believe that water was entering via one of the drive's drain plugs.

If it was one of the drain plugs on the drive you would have been leaking oil out not drawing water in, since the drive operates at a positive pressure as it reaches normal operating temperature.

I would have thought when the boat was at rest or on the trailer gear lube would be leaking from that drain plug, if it was bad enough to allow water in while running.

Again, kind of difficult to diagnosis through my computer ;) But just some thoughts. Glad to hear that you did correct the problem, however.​

When I put new drain plugs and gaskets on the lower leg water stopped filling up the gear lube resivior, I did take the boat out and all is well except for the leak of gear lube comeing in thru the transom, I was losing about 1/4'' overnight, but now since I took it out the last 2 days it drained the complete gear lube bottle over night, from the diagrams you posted it seems that the gear lube tube goes thru the transom and and appears to be clamped on some sort of fitting, I'm hopeing that its just a clamp loose, or even the hose rubbed thru causeing this oil leak to get even worse, Does this make sence?? I am taking the boat in to the dealer tomorrow, and will post results when I get it back, thx again for your response

Dukksoup

Seaman Apprentice

Well I took the boat to the dealer , and they told me the drive shaft seal is leaking, for a total of $490.00 they can replace the seal but offer no warranty, unless I reseal the complete leg, with a complete gasket kit, upper kit, lower kit and impeller for $975.00. I'm looking for any suggestions on this as I really don't know if these prices are normal or not?? I would think the best way is to reseal everything , Thx to all who respond with opinions as I am still learning about all this

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

For $400 more you can get a complete new aftermarket drive on this site.Then you would have all new gears,bearings,shafts,seals,impeller and cases plus a 3 year warranty!

Dukksoup

Seaman Apprentice

Gave them the go ahead to reseal the complete leg, upper and lower,. Called a few other marine dealers and was quoted anywhere from $1500-$2000, so at $1200 for everything, oil, tax and diagnosis in. I guess thats not a bad price , the boat is a 94 model and never have had any problems b4, also piece of mine will be included by resealing everything, thanx to all whom replied to this thresd..................Dukk;)