Advice plz. Aluminum vs Glass boat choice to make

Advice plz. Aluminum vs Glass boat choice to make

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Advice plz. Aluminum vs Glass boat choice to make

Starcraft x2 About the only thing that goes bad is the wooden floor, and that is easy to replace yourself. Had a 191 Islander. Great boats.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a completely and totally objective, impartial, outside observer, I agree with you:D

Classic! lmao

Thanks everyone. Starcraft sell agreed to $3000, so I'm sure I'll pick it up.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

well that was easy!

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

So he sent me pics of the hull which shows some Repairs. I'm not sure what to think about it, and what's underneath the white 'stuff'.
Anyone seen repairs like this and or know what kind of damage is likely underneath? I wonder if he'll let me try and scrape some off and see if there's a hole or something.
He's had the boat out only a half dozen times, and amazingly didn't know about these repairs. I believe him, as he's certainly not very 'mechanical' or knowledgeable of boats, by the sounds of things.

IMG_8210.jpgIMG_8213.jpg
IMG_8209.jpgIMG_8211.jpgIMG_8212.jpg

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_8208.jpgIMG_8207.jpg

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Best of luck to ya!!! I've never owned an aluminum boat; but my Father-in-Law has a 17' Grumman stick steer with a 40hp Johnson. That baby MOVES!!! I like Starcraft a lot. I'm sure you'll be really happy with it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don't even consider the Glasstron or whatever it is with the Chrysler, scratch it off the list (sorry Frank).

The Starcraft may be OK, but you need to find out what is under all that stuff smeared on the transom.

Last edited:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That stuff looks like automotive bond-o, not iboats Bond-O..oh nevermind..lol
Bet thats where somebody decided thats the area that allowed the water in and instead of learning how to seal it properly, smeared that junk on it.

Again, gluv-it would be your friend here. $3,000 is a bit high by my Florida market, but use that half arse patching as a way to get the $$ lower.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't even consider the Glasstrong or whatever it is with the Chrysler, scratch it off the list (sorry Frank).

The Starcraft may be OK, but you need to find out what is under all that stuff smeared on the transom.

Thanks. I think its someone's bad idea on how to "seal" a few leaky rivets. Impossible to tell from the pictures though.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

looks like it could be Gluvit or something similar, it is used to seal leaks so you can be sure the boat leaks from somewhere and there are no pics of the keel area.

In the first pic it is on a rocky shore which you can do for awhile then it wears thru the keel which can be a real bear to fix, the good thing is you can rebuck an aluminum boat and even though it probably leaks the hull itself will never rot so all you would need to do is rebuck some rivets but to do that you would have to remove the interior of the boat to get to them.

The second thing that xomes to mind is if the boat leaks the foam is almost certainly water logged which again isn't a super big deal but you need to tear all the decking off to repair that too.

SO worse case scenario you have to tear the boat down, remove wet foam, rebuck rivets and redeck, this also means the $3500 is too much for this boat but itcould be a really good boat once you do all that.

I have a 31 year old Sea Nymph that I have done all this too and I love the boat, it was worth the efort but then again I enjoy working on it and I don't mind tearing things down, if you want a turn key boat this may not be the one for you.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like they tried to seal up some leaking rivets. Doesn't look to bad to me. I feel that 3000 is way to much for that boat personally. Overall the hull looks to be in good shape with no major damage.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I know our Canadian neighbors have to pay a premium for their boats but with potential problems with the hull, I agree, a bit pricey.

Still, if I'm a betting man, I'd lean towards somebody trying to fix some leaky rivets which is not a biggie.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I picked her up, and I'm happy I did. 100-105 on all three pistons, and the white stuff is Silicone, believe it or not. The Keel has a couple broken rivets at the very back/starboard, yet I think I can either have them fixed for fairly cheap, or get at it myself. I don't think the floor will need to be lifted, but maybe cut back a lil if the opening isn't enough room to work.

I got it for a couple hundred under 3000 so I feel it was a fair price. I'm not sure I'll tear it apart this year, as its in good condition, yet I will address the 2 broken rivets and do a temporary seal of the seams. In a year or so I'll strip it and paint it pretty. It's a lot bigger then I expected, maybe I'm so used to my 14', so I'm a little intimidated to flip it upside down for painting, as I was thinking I'd do it right away.

Anyways, thanks for all your opinions and suggestions, for and against. I'm very glad I got this one, as owning a speed boat isn't in me. Plus all I do is fish, so I have no use for a 'pretty' boat. The wife was disappointed, but now that she seen the Starcraft, she's happy too. I'm on cloud 9, but SO impatient for the hard-water to beat it.

2012 is going to be one awesome year. Happy new year guys and gals.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the Starcraft brohood!:D

Sandbank

Seaman

I've owned 3 fibreglass and one aluminium. In that size would vote alum any day. My last one was done with two pack and I putsome carpet over maribe ply floors inand was a treat. If you go the FB make sure u check up under the gunnels as a classic sign of rot (realised that after taking delivery of boat No 2!!- after 12 years after I owned it I happened to see it on the web striped down and on an auction site the other day- 25ft Tiara- brough tears tomy eyes!!.)
Dont know what other think but a well placed tap test on the transom might not be such a bad idea either.

Good luck!!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Congrats on the "new" boat, thee si lots you can do to burn the time between now and the thaw that will ensure you have a great first year.

I would start by changing the lower unit oil and the water pump and all the gas lines between the gas tank and the carbs and also get at least a fuel filter on it.

When you drain the lower you will be able to see if it needs resealed, if the oil is milky at all I would do a reseal and the water pump is just a good idea since you don't know when it was changed last.

I remember when I got my boat, I couldn't wait to tear into and make it mine.

southkogs

Staff member

Don't tell Oops we lost another one to the "tinny" side! :D

Congratulations on the buy! Get some pictures up - show her off!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Don't tell Oops we lost another one to the "tinny" side! :D

I do believe we need another batch of...,
kool-aid.jpg

Yessssssss:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Smart choice.
Welcome to the Starmada!