gas shooting carb question

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am no expert but im guessing a thick stream of gas should not be shooting out of here when i try to start my boat- what does this mean?
Were they rebuilt wrong or is it something i can adjust?
summer2009013.jpg

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: gas shooting carb question

Float bowl vent tube is what the fuel is coming out of. Could be caused by a stuck inlet needle, the float could have a hole in it if its the old style brass type, could need the float level reset or a combination of one or more. The gas is shooting out because the fuel pump is pumping beyond the proper level in the bowl. Tap on the carb lightly and see if it stops shooting out. Vent the engine compartment out while your doing this, I can hear the "tick" "tick" "tick" from here.

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just replaced the rotor and cap- could timing have something to do with this?

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

had similar problem. the brass floats will get holes in them and sink and the composite ones will get heavy and sink eventhough they look ok. i don't think floats come in rebuild kits and must be purchased seperately. they should be replaced if the carb is rebuilt.

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So if I buy new floats and replace them - I should be good? Are they fairly easy to replace?

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the carbs rebuilt using a rebuild kit I provided - (did not include float)
if the float is the issue then I can't really hold the guy who rebuilt them responsible. Should I take the carb off and look at the float?

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you cutting corners on something that could lead to bigger problems. Higher gas consumption due to improper fuel to air ratio richness, gas leakage into bilge, starting issues, exhaust fumes, engine performance due to either too rich or too lean, burned valves because its too lean, fouled spark plugs cause its too rich.
Now your question "should I take the carb off and look at the float". Do you know the correct height to set the float at? Not all floats are set level. Do you know for a fact that the exact proper rebuild kit was used (correct inlet needle)? If you do pull the carb apart shake the brass float if it has one and see if you feel or hear any fuel sloshing around. If so get another float. While it is apart recheck everything for being at rebuild specs. Check to see if it wasn't just a piece of debris obstructing the needle from seating. Make sure the inlet needle seat is not loose and it has the right seal below it. I have had one or two floats just get stuck because they traveled lower than their normal bowl empty range and the needle was at a slight angle and could not free itself. Meaning its just hung up, and that's why I mentioned earlier to just tap lightly and see if its still a problem.

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I guess I learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. I had a person rebuild these carbs who apparently didn't really know what they were doing. Rather than bring them back to him I guess I will be having them re- rebuilt from someone more dependable. Thanks for the help today- Anyone know of a good carb person I could ship these to?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

look for a shop that does restoration work,or possibly a high performance place,look for a mechanic over 50 years old, someone who grew up with carburation, and yes buy a new float

Last edited:

cr2k

Captain

"Look for someone over 50.." I'm close to 60 and all I can say is that's an old damn carb.

Your problem is the float level, either bad float, improperly adjusted or bad needle and seat. Was the kit fresh or old? Some old kits didn't have the viton end on the needle valve and are all brass and can be a pain to get to seat.
Some kits come with 2 gaskets for the seat part one thicker than the other, if they used the wrong one it can cause this.

I would check around with some boat dealers (not repair shops), they most likely know some older guys that do stuff on the side that will be able to help you at a decent cost.