Adding a Tell Tale question

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why does it suggest to drill the head instead of the piece that is between the Head and the thermostat cover?

Seems like that would be easier to drill, safer since you don't have the possibility of drilling into the combustion chamber, and you can blow out any metal shavings that get into the engine.

It's on the same side of the Thermostat as the head, and should recieve the same pressure as the recommended spot.

This is regarding THIS thread...

EDIT: I did it! See below for my results.

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Adding a Tell Tale question

What engine are you working on?
I think the only time I installed one on the head was because of interference with the lifting bracket.
It doesn't really matter where as long as it's up high.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the late reply..I kinda forgot about making this post.

I'm working on a 70EL77S.

The photo below shows my interpretation of where they want you to drill(RED DOT) and where i think would be a good place to put it(GREEN DOT). The green dot is actually physically higher than the red dot, so it shouldn't cause a problem and should behave exactly the same in use. Drilling the green dot while the thermostat cover is off allows you to see what you're doing and remove any metal that may get into the engine as well.

Ranger158V010-1-1.jpg

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

FYI - I had a 1995 Evinrude 60 and the fitting was located at the red dot.

jbjennings

Captain

CHeck the port side of the engine, just port side of the red dot. There may be a small plug there already, so that you don't even have to drill. It's already 1/8 pipe thread as well. At least, it was there on the '70 model 60hp that I just did yesterday. So maybe it's on yours, since it's also a 3-cylinder. Good luck,
JBJ

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CHeck the port side of the engine, just port side of the red dot. There may be a small plug there already, so that you don't even have to drill. It's already 1/8 pipe thread as well. At least, it was there on the '70 model 60hp that I just did yesterday. So maybe it's on yours, since it's also a 3-cylinder. Good luck,
JBJ

I'll take a look! Thanks for the suggestion!

Was it just plugged with a bolt?

jbjennings

Captain

It as just a plain plug, slotted for a flat-head screwdriver. When I saw it, I had to smile. I believe it took about 5 min. to complete the whole project! Hopefully yours has it...
JBJ

iwombat

Captain

I believe if you put it in the t-stat housing, your tell-tale will only be operating while the t-stat is open. It may also interfere with the proper operation of the t-stat.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe if you put it in the t-stat housing, your tell-tale will only be operating while the t-stat is open. It may also interfere with the proper operation of the t-stat.

I'm not putting it in the Tstat housing. I'm putting it in the head cover, which is before the water goes past the thermostat. It's on the same side of the thermostat as the original placement as the service manuals says to put it. The fitting will not interfere with thermostat at all physically and allowing water out at that point won't hurt the performance at all.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you install the fitting where the green dot is, I believe you will only have a tell-tale when the thermostat opens. The thermostat seats into the head and will seal off the tell-tale. Remove the thermostat cover and take a look, I might be wrong.
I have always installed the fitting in the red dot area.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, i'm finally ready to do this.... I have pictures of why i think putting it on the green dot is the same as the red dot.

In these picture you can see that the thermostat seats on the head cover and not the head itself. Putting the green dot and the red dot on the same side of the thermostat. Right? The water comes up from inside the circular hole of the thermostat when the engine is running.

DSCN4972.jpg

DSCN4979.jpg

Here i'm showing that the placement of the Red dot, is going into the same cavern that the green dot would be going into. As you can see in the above picture without the thermostat installed, there is a ledge inside that comes down from the top.

This is the measurement to the far back wall
DSCN4976.jpg

Here is the measurement to the front of the ledge.
DSCN4977.jpg

Looking at that, it seems to me that i'm going to be drilling into the same area anyway. Am I missing something?

BonairII

Commander

Dip your drill bit in grease...it'll catch the shavings. I just added a telltale to my 3-cyl 75hp a few days ago. Easy as pie.

If a couple shavings get in the water jacket, you can put a dab of grease on a thin screwdriver and just pluck them out. A few shavings shouldn't hurt anything at all.

I located mine at the red dot area. I used a 'delrin tube'(i think) as the outlet fitting...see vid at 45 sec mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp40DFFQuFM

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to complete the thread for searching purposes...

The green dot pictured above is a good place to put the tell tale. I just completed it and it works as desired. It's on the same side of the thermostat as the red dot, so it shows water pumping at all times just like the red dot placement.

Advantages:
1. That part of the engine is cheap and easy to replace, unlike the head(if you happen to screw up).
2. Easier to get at
3. Easier to keep metal chips out of the engine..even dipping the drill bit in grease left a lot of shavings inside hte engine that was caught by the paper towel i had stuffed in there. Same with tapping the hole.

Disadvantages:
...None...

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

Put it by the red dot , the center point must be 6mm from the gasket face meeting the block , you can also put one in the front of the thermostat cover , but this one wont **** if the thermostat is closed , it is a good idea to put one there because it tells you the thermostat is opening & closing , my first choice would be the red dot , ive done this for my rad con to bleed the system k

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put it by the red dot , the center point must be 6mm from the gasket face meeting the block , you can also put one in the front of the thermostat cover , but this one wont **** if the thermostat is closed , it is a good idea to put one there because it tells you the thermostat is opening & closing , my first choice would be the red dot , ive done this for my rad con to bleed the system k

You didn't read the entire thread, or even the entire first post did you?

durban

no , sorry if i got the wrong end of the stick or i must be on the wrong boat , one of the 2

durban

well done , good job

motoman

Seaman

I have looked around and where are the kits to add tell tale available to purchase?

Haffiman

Commander

Not the correct place to drill, and how long do you expect that clear plastic hose to last with about water 140F temp?