Adding a Tell Tale question

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Adding a Tell Tale question

Not the correct place to drill, and how long do you expect that clear plastic hose to last with about water 140F temp?

@ a rated temperature of 220?F...a long time...

If you would've taken the time to read the entire thread, i already mentioned multiple times it's not where the service bulletin says to drill(however, that service bulletin doesn't cover my exact engine...). I also mention that it's safer to drill there and gives you a lot more room to work while performing exactly the same as the suggested location. So what's the difference?

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have looked around and where are the kits to add tell tale available to purchase?

All you need are two parts:

P#0321886
P#0321885

And some hose to connect the two.

Tools:
11/32 drill bit
11/16 drill bit
1/8 NPT(pipe tap)
Some thread tape

Pretty simple procedure

Drill the 11/32 hole, thread it with the pipe tap, put the thread tape on the fitting, thread it in.

Drill the 11/16 hole in the lower cowling on the starboard side, insert the fitting.

Connect the two with hose and make sure it's out of the way of any moving parts.

Haffiman

Commander

@ a rated temperature of 220?F...a long time...

If you would've taken the time to read the entire thread, i already mentioned multiple times it's not where the service bulletin says to drill(however, that service bulletin doesn't cover my exact engine...). I also mention that it's safer to drill there and gives you a lot more room to work while performing exactly the same as the suggested location. So what's the difference?

The 'tell tale' has two main functions:
1: Keep the exhaust covers water cooled by circulation even when the thermostat is closed.
2: Water pump pressure indicator.
I believe on all engines this 'tell tale' outlet is installed BEFORE water enters the cylinder cooling system itself and mainly after the exhaust cover. Some variations on the loopers where it is routed, in some cases, to the outlet side of thermostat. In no engines it is taken from the cooling circuit of the cylinders. As done in your pick, it will have the same effect as a leaking thermostat and/or pressure valve. Pulled out before the water enters the cylinder cooling circuit it will not in any way affect the circulation or temp regulation of the engine. If a clear hose like shown was considered a safe solution, I guess the factory would have used them long ago due to cost reason, unless you have got some special 'NASA' quality hose?? May look nice and simple, but not what I would recommend to be done. Here a pick of where to properly locate it, BEFORE water enters the cylinder part:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/92/ajohnsonpict5137jpg1hf.jpg/sr=1

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 'tell tale' has two main functions:
1: Keep the exhaust covers water cooled by circulation even when the thermostat is closed.
2: Water pump pressure indicator.
I believe on all engines this 'tell tale' outlet is installed BEFORE water enters the cylinder cooling system itself and mainly after the exhaust cover. Some variations on the loopers where it is routed, in some cases, to the outlet side of thermostat. In no engines it is taken from the cooling circuit of the cylinders. As done in your pick, it will have the same effect as a leaking thermostat and/or pressure valve. Pulled out before the water enters the cylinder cooling circuit it will not in any way affect the circulation or temp regulation of the engine. If a clear hose like shown was considered a safe solution, I guess the factory would have used them long ago due to cost reason, unless you have got some special 'NASA' quality hose?? May look nice and simple, but not what I would recommend to be done. Here a pick of where to properly locate it, BEFORE water enters the cylinder part:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/92/ajohnsonpict5137jpg1hf.jpg/sr=1

This is a 35 year old outboard. As long as this thing allows me to see the water pump is pumping water, I don't really care what else it does. I have about 3 hours of cruising and probably an hour total of idle/slow speed on the engine since this was done with no ill effects. The hose I bought was labeled as a 220? max temp hose...i'm not sure what else to tell you about that. I guess i'll go buy some other hose just in case, what would you prefer?

fishkiller10

Recruit

I am planning to add a telltale and put a new impeller into my 1985 85 hp Force this weekend. I've heard rumors that they can reduce the cooling in the motor but haven't heard anyone say, " My motor burnt up because I added a telltale". Has anyone ever heard of any factual problems with this?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You should start your own thread, but to ansewer your question. No, adding a tell-tale will not cause your engine to overheat.
On some engines it actually helps purge the air out of the cooling system and prevents hot spots.
I was talking about OMC engines, I see you have a Force, you might want to jump over to their forum and ask the question.