Allright Guys, Could this be the ONE?!?

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been cruising Craigslist. Think I can buy this boat for $200 after talking to the guy. I'm going out there this week. ASSUMING I can get it to turn over and the compression is good and all parts seem to be there for the motor, what do you think? Not REAL excited about a tri-hull, but my plan is to do a cheap (as possible and still feel like I did a decent job) restore/learning project, then sell and try my hand at a boat I think I'd really like to KEEP. PLUS, I am pretty sure that is a Merc 800 on the back, and I have had pretty good luck working on my Dad's 500. Really want to find a 115 to redo and then buy a hull to fit it, but haven't found one that wasn't completely trashed.

Comments? Input? Suggestions??

Like to hear what anyone has to say. Been here for a few months now soaking up info. I am about done with my Dad's bass boat that everyone has been helping with, all I have left is to pull the carbs and do a link-n-synch. Then I'd have quite a bit of time this summer for this project.

Thanks in advance for the comments, I LOVE this site!!!!!!!

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Allright Guys, Could this be the ONE?!?

I'm a novice at this too but one thing I've learned is nothing is cheap. As for potential of the boat being a good learner project, it probably is. The hull looks like you could pop it apart pretty easily. Just go ahead and figure you're going to sink at least a couple of grand into it. If it ain't worth that, look for something else.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input, FB!

I have two kind of scenarios in my head:

1. Buy the boat and do a restore as cheaply as possible for the practice. Sell as a running boat/motor. IF I'm lucky, I could get what MONEY I spent back. Would probably lose a few hundred dollars, but gain valuable experience.

2. Buy the boat for the MOTOR ONLY. This would be something I'd consider if the boat hull is completely trashed. Restore the motor to running condition, clean up, paint, and wire the trailer, and sell those two components like that. Would PROBABLY break even MIGHT actually make a little. All depends on the motor condition. I have aquired enough working knowledge from here (I THINK!) to make that determination when I go to look at it. Know I need to do compression test, check for tilt/trim (CO doesn't know what that is! LOL), look at cables and steering, check condition of wiring. If those things are reasonably decent and it isn't missing the carbs, or disassembled, etc, pretty good chance I'd be o.k. on this scenario. Again, would gain valuable experience.

Just what I'm kicking around in my head...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Keep looking...you can do better than that for a first project. It's been sitting out in Arp, Tejas, for five years, uncovered. The floor and stringers will be mush, which rules out your cheap first project idea. However, check it out anyway and if the motor has compression and looks good...offer him $100 for it. Keep the motor and trailer and haul the hull to the dump...they may make you chainsaw it in half after you get there. Trihulls are good boats, but buying one that has been out in the weather is a bank loan waiting to happen...bet the guy doesn't have the titles either...don't buy a boat in Tejas that doesn't have a title.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input tm!

He CLAIMS he has titles. We'll see!

I grew up here and have been around boats, so I am familiar with most of the issues I'd have from a title standpoint. It IS possible to file lost title, etc, but I'd make him do it, not me, unless he just gave me the boat with a bill of sale.

I know from talking to him that he is starting to realize he is wrong about the "motor alone worth $500".

I think it's worth the trip. I may be able to get it for even less once I'm there. It will cost me $50 in tires just to get it to my house. But it's less than an hr. from me, I'm gonna go have a look.

Unfortunately, this is the wrong time of year to buy!!:mad:

May end up waiting after all, who knows...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Correct-a-mundo...dead guys can't sign titles.
I'm just guessing that it has been sitting out in the weather, that's true most of the time. If you can get it for less than $200 and the motor checks out, get it and keep the trailer and motor...dump the hull if necessary. Old boats are a dime a trillion in Tejas...time works in your favor, just have to be patient. Best way to figure out what you like, or where you want to start, is visit a marina when its busy...walk around and ask folks what they like about their kind of boat...most will even give you a ride if they know you are comparing/shopping. Then figure out what you want to do with your boat and pick the type best suited for that. What's the weather in Jefferson?...haven't been down there in years...it's hot and dry out here on big flat (Lubbock).

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

don't buy a boat in Tejas that doesn't have a title.

X eleventy billion

and don't forget your TPWD form to have him fill out and sign.

wambs8

Seaman

Keep looking. Get a boat that you really want to own after you fix it up. The previous poster is correct about dropping 2 grand into that boat. You will never be able to get your money back and will take a hit. Where were you when I bought my boat. I would have gladly bought all the supplies and you supply all the labor so that you can get that experience your looking for. and after your finished you give me 400 bucks and I get a nice refurbished boat. That's a sweet deal for me.:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you want to get on the water cheaply, I recommend an outboard powered aluminum hull.

tallcanadian

Captain

Nice boat, very nice. But, what do you mean your not crazy about tri hulls? I'm hurt. Don't you like losing fillings after a day of boating on choppy water? Don't you enjoy having everything thrown all over your boat when you hit a big wave? And really, don't you enjoy having your eyes balls bounced out of their sockets after hitting a big wake from another boat? I don't get it. But on the upside, for 200 bucks who cares. If the boat is good it's worth it. If the motor is good, it's worth it. If they are both good, bonus. Good Luck.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat, very nice. But, what do you mean your not crazy about tri hulls? I'm hurt. Don't you like losing fillings after a day of boating on choppy water? Don't you enjoy having everything thrown all over your boat when you hit a big wave? And really, don't you enjoy having your eyes balls bounced out of their sockets after hitting a big wake from another boat? I don't get it. But on the upside, for 200 bucks who cares. If the boat is good it's worth it. If the motor is good, it's worth it. If they are both good, bonus. Good Luck.

Now, see, I should shop for boats with you Canadian!! LOL. One of my grandparents had a small tri hull like this when I was a kid, and one of my cousin and I's favorite pastimes was "bow-bouncing"! We'd sit up at the bow, grab the handrails, and beg grandpa to go faster so the boat would bounce us of the seat!

Haven't heard back from the guy, he was supposed to call today to set up a time. Maybe he sold it already??? Will keep you posted!

And ezmobee--I would love to, but I have seen next to NONE starcraft (metal at least), lone star, etc. style boats for sale around here. IDK if it's the area or what??

Realgun

Commander

Personally get the boat you want cause you really don't want to do this twice. Well I know I dont! :)

200 bucks would be ok but if you have the cash you can get a nice dependable boat for just over 2000. Unless you're like me and like to dump loads of cash into your 425.00 project that you love deeply and would rather not tell your wife about.

Because boat projects will consume you.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally get the boat you want cause you really don't want to do this twice. Well I know I dont! :)

I may not want to either, by the time I'm done! :)

My logic was, learn on the first one, do it as good as I can on the one I want to keep. IDK, may only do it once after I try it! Then she IS a keeper. Maybe your logic is more sound?!?!?!:confused:

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

200 bucks would be ok but if you have the cash you can get a nice dependable boat for just over 2000. Unless you're like me and like to dump loads of cash into your 425.00 project that you love deeply and would rather not tell your wife about.

Because boat projects will consume you.

I totally agree. If I had $2500, I could have bought several great boats in the last few months. Here's an example of what I'd like:

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa/1749162912.html

It will still be there for ya'll to look at for a while because the guy is off his rocker if he thinks he'll get $8500 for it.

But I have seen several similar to it in the $2500-$3000 range. Even looked at a Stratos that was in my area. Just don't have that kind of money to spend in a lump. BUT, like a lot of you, I can nickel and dime for quite a while and the better half doesn't realize how much it ends up being in the end! LOL.

Also is the sense of accomplishment, the knowledge that YOU built it (for better or worse!) and that it's almost assuredly done better than the factory did it anyway. Plus the benefit that to an extent, it's like Buger King, you get it your way! :):):)

This particular boat is off the radar anyway. When he finally called to set up a time to look at it, all of the sudden he doesn't actually HAVE the titles (he didn't know they were titled seperately, for starters), but he'd be able to GET them, and why didn't I just come on and see it, and if I wanted it I could buy it and he'd "get them to me".....

Also, my poor old truck is apparently jealous of the attention spent on boats lately, and now either my slave cylinder is bad on my tranny, or the clutch is going out...time to break out the transmission jack and spend a few hundred on her, I guess.:mad:

I love not having a payment, but occassionally I wish I had more money and could buy the stuff I REALLY want. Like a new truck. (Uh-Oh, hope she didn't hear that....she may just throw another problem my way to keep me in line! LOL)

Oh, well. My goal is to have EITHER a boat OR a motor or both to fool with this winter. Wish me luck, and thanks again for the input!