johnson 70 signal wire for tach?

linda mae

Cadet
hey hey everyone!! new to boats, we have a 12.5 foot fiberglass vangaurd skibee, with a 1980 johnson 70. one of my many questions is does any one know what wire is the signal wire to the tach? i need to no what wire to tap into on the motor so that i can get the tach wokin. i know that one wire goes to the key (hot) and one for the bulb. i just dont no wich wire is the signal wire on the motor. man im such a rookie but i am very motivated!! any advice would be great!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: johnson 70 signal wire for tach?

Gryy to send, purple to ignition (both from inside of control box), black (from a ground source) to ground, and a lead off of the switched side of the running or panel light switch, to power the internal lightbulb in the tach.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

And you shouldn't need to tap into them at the motor - they run all the way to the control box. Depending on the type of box you have, you may even have a 3-pin plug already on it with feeds from all three wires...
- Scott

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Linda Mae, Off the subject, but, a 70HP motor on a 12.5 footer is pretty unusual. I suspect you will be doing some "ChineWalking". Keep the "open side" up!

Sorry Chinewalker....

linda mae

Cadet

Gryy to send, purple to ignition (both from inside of control box), black (from a ground source) to ground, and a lead off of the switched side of the running or panel light switch, to power the internal lightbulb in the tach.

very informative response. thank you

linda mae

Cadet

And you shouldn't need to tap into them at the motor - they run all the way to the control box. Depending on the type of box you have, you may even have a 3-pin plug already on it with feeds from all three wires...
- Scott

hey scott my name is ryan. wow thanks for turning me in the right direction! i do indeed have a three pin end on the control box. its a omc no numbers on it though. it has the female end but no plug to go into. im gonna call the parts place and see if i can get one. again thanks scott

linda mae

Cadet

Linda Mae, Off the subject, but, a 70HP motor on a 12.5 footer is pretty unusual. I suspect you will be doing some "ChineWalking". Keep the "open side" up!

Sorry Chinewalker....

hey chris 1956 what is chine walking?

acpatt

Recruit

I believe the part you are looking for is #174732. It is called PLUG-IN CONNECTOR KIT. It runs around $31.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

hey chris 1956 what is chine walking?

The chines are where the sides of a boat meets the bottom. Chine walking is when the boat bounces from one chine to the other. Till it flips over. You don't want to know what happens next.