I need some help on this #@%^&*$ gasket!

alrednek

Cadet
I am replacing the cylinder cover gasket on my 1976 Mercury 85hp due to water leaking around the spark plugs. I really don't want to have to do this again and want to do it right. Should I use some type of gasket sealant on this gasket? If so, which sealant should I use? I think the factory originally installed the gaskets dry, but don't know for sure. The manual doesn't say anything about sealant, but I don't want to have a problem with water leaking around plugs again. Any help or advice is appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks, Mike

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I need some help on this #@%^&*$ gasket!

Hi Mike I think its suposed to be dry. I always use Permatex Hitac to keep the gasket in place. Its a can with a brush its purple and very sticky. Its not a gasket sealant. But it adds a safty factor<br />steve

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Install dry. I don't know wheather you mean the head gasket or exaust port plate gasket, but they are both assembled dry. Be sure the surfaces are clean, and not warped. A leak will sometimes cause them to warp.<br />If so, they must be re-surfaced.<br />There is a torque and tightening sequence on these.

Walker

Captain

He's talking about the water jacket cover over the cylinder heads 12Footer. I would use anon-hardening gasket sealer myself. That Merc cover is just a bad design with no bolts towards the centers.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Double-post deleted (sorry bout that)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Oh ok. Walker is right. Permatex red is one such non-hardening gasket sealer .