90 HP 1988 Mariner

jjholland

Recruit
Motor starts fine but wll not run under load. It will somtimes run under load. I have replaced all the gas lines, rebuilt fuel pump, and cleaned carbs. Can anyone help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 90 HP 1988 Mariner

Howdy, JJ.<br /><br />Hmmm. Wont run under load but sometimes runs under load.<br /><br />Can you be more specific? Is it down on power? What rpm do you get? What rpm is normal for your rig?<br /><br />Or does it just die (wont run) when you put it in gear?<br /><br />Let us know. :)

jjholland

Recruit

What I meant was that it has no power. I sound as if it is starving for fuel. I do not know the RPMs. I can be going along fine and then it just dies to the point that the boat will not plane. It will run like this for a few minutes and then it will take off at full speed again with out any changes on my part. It has been a progressive problem and now is to the point that it does not run properly more that it is running.

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

'Mornin' jjholland,<br /><br />let's see if we can narrow down the possible sources of the problem. <br />Was the motor stored (for several months or more) with fuel in it?<br />When were the carbs serviced last?<br /><br />Is the pimer bulb collapsing or is it full and firm when the problem occurs. <br />Try squeezing the bulb when she acts up. If that doesn't help, carry a sqirt/spray bottle filled with 2-stroke mix (be careful with this), when she starts acting up, spray some 2-stroke mix into the carbs.<br /><br />This should tell you if/where there might be a fuel supply issue.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

for what it is worth. just had the same problem with my new merc out of the box. mid range or above the engine would hunt and had a mind of its own. found the fuel line really kinked where it and the control cables enter the motor. found it before it went back to the dealer.

jjholland

Recruit

Thanks Guys<br />To give you some more info I have cleaned the carbs for the past 2 years. I have tried squeezing the ball while it is bogging down and that does not have an affect. The ball does not collapse. I talked with a machanic at a dealer and he told me it should not be the carbs because it changes from not running to running bogged down and back again while I am on the water (more not running). I will try the fuel in the spray bottle and see if it that will narrow down the problem.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

JJholland, I would invest in a gauge and check compression. It is a very inexpensive tool and will tell you A LOT of your motor. If you have bad compression on 1 cylinder, it is a waste of time looking for other problems.<br />It's one of the few necessary basic tools to work on motors, and I never did regret buying it, even a cheap one will do the job ($ 35.00).