What makes a marine engine a MARINE engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What makes a marine engine a MARINE engine

This is why I always have a survey done on any boat I buy. If I were looking at two identical boats for sale and all things were equal but one had a truck motor in it I would buy the one with the marine engine...my logic behind that would be, what else did they cut corners on...but that's just me.

Ayuh,... Again, What are your Precieved Differences,..??

Truck motors are what Marine motors start out as,... The Brass coreplugs are the Biggest difference...
And,...
Replacement Truck motors are now coming from GM with those already....

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

marineenginesales.com seems to have cheaper long block prices than rapido.

looks like they're about $150 less. Does anyone have any experience with them? They do also have one warranty advantage over Rapido, they pay a portion of labor and all parts expenses with their warranty...iirc.

Only reason I advised to go with Rapido is their reputation on this site and one guy I know personally who did business with them. He actually had a problem with his motor after 10 hours. Raul offered to replace it free but my friend decided to buy a factory new engine...Raul gave him every dime of his money back. That said alot to me about Raul and his company.

Having said that, marineenginesales looks like it's worth a look. I'd like to hear some personal experiences from some of their customers.

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... Again, What are your Precieved Differences,..??

Truck motors are what Marine motors start out as,... The Brass coreplugs are the Biggest difference...
And,...
Replacement Truck motors are now coming from GM with those already....

We're not talking about a replacement motor from GM, the advice I was questioning was a $450 used motor on CL...big difference.

The differences might be minor to you, that's fine. But I can't believe if given the same option in the example I gave, which you quoted, you would choose the boat with the truck engine versus one with a marine engine. Again, I would have to ask myself what else the p.o. did to cut corners.

But again, that's just me...

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another thing that would be interesting to see would be a side by side comparison on a dyno between a marine and a truck 5.7 of the same year. If the torque and hp numbers are the exact same from 1500-5000 then I'd say it's a toss up...I'd still upgade to the marine water pump and brass freeze plugs.

And from personal experience, unless I knew the motor and the person selling it, I would never buy a used motor. That's never worked out for me unless it was to just get a car running to sell it...

Again, JMO...

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

did you decide to use a used truck motor in your boat because it was the best possible option for your boat, or because it was cheaper?

The engineers at GM and MerCruiser don't just come up with specific application motors just to charge more money. Every engine has a specific design and application.

This is why I always have a survey done on any boat I buy. If I were looking at two identical boats for sale and all things were equal but one had a truck motor in it I would buy the one with the marine engine...my logic behind that would be, what else did they cut corners on...but that's just me.

350 truck engine beats a marine 305 IMO.

Obviously if we were talking about two identical boats, one with truck engine and one with marine, we would all probably choose the marine engine. That's pretty much a no brainer, but that is not the situation here. When I started this post, I was just trying to find out what parts of a marine engine are essential for a marine application so I could decide whether it's acceptible to use basically a truck long block to make a marine engine. I just needed to know which parts needed to be marine and which parts didn't. I wouldn't expect to just slap a truck engine in as is. Long ago in this thread, we discussed which components are essential for marine applications. Which aren't that many.

In my case I'm converting from a 305 to a 350, and I was lookin for the most economical route to go while maintaining a fair amount of reliability. If I could afford to do the absolute best thing for my boat, I would never have had need to ask these questions. Got to weigh the options and make compromises where they can be made safely to save money.

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have been asked several times to state the differences.

That's because the question is impossible to answer without more specific information with regard to which two engines we are comparing. On the surface the differences are some brass parts that are exchanged to make a marine engine...what are we comparing here? A used engine on CL that we know NOTHING about vs a marine engine that has been competely overhauled???seriously?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Are you guys really suggesting a USED car or truck 5.7 for marine use? If your main criteria is cheap...that'll get a 5.7 between the stringers for sure.

Again, I wouldn't recommend a car motor for a boat...but what do I know?;)

Some are trying to find out what you know.

BigBoatinOkie

That's because the question is impossible to answer without more specific information with regard to which two engines we are comparing. On the surface the differences are some brass parts that are exchanged to make a marine engine...what are we comparing here? A used engine on CL that we know NOTHING about vs a marine engine that has been competely overhauled???seriously?

In my case, the engine in question, would be a truck engine that I deem worthy of being rebuilt by me and fitted with the essential marine parts which were discussed earlier. Whatever parts from the marine 305 that I have that can be used, will be used. I mentioned a CL engine for $450, but I would never purchase it until I've had a look at it and conclude that it is worth rebuilding. If that's the route I wanna go.

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

350 truck engine beats a marine 305 IMO.

Then that's what you should do...

If budget wasn't your primary limiting factor, would you buy a used truck motor off of CL? If the answer is yes then that's what you need to do.

It's funny, I don't have any agenda here, I quite honestly couldn't care less what the final decision is...It's your boat, but you asked for some education in the first post, indicating that you don't know much about this.

My advice was geared toward the best, not the cheapest, solution...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Got to weigh the options and make compromises where they can be made safely to save money.

Enroll in a night engine class at your local technical college.
With the equipment in the engine shop, you can save $1500 or more doing the machine work yourself.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The bigest difference on the block it self is the brass freeze plugs, easy enough to replace before it goes in the boat. The rest of the marine applications are the starter, altornator, water pump, and so on...wich the ones on the 305 can all be used off the 350. There would be nothing wrong picking up a crate engine from craigslist, adding the few needed marine parts, and you have a marine motor. There just is not a big difference beside the marine assesorys that make a marine motor different from a truck motor.

You could have a 350 in your boat, running well, with all the marine assesorys on it for $600.

BigBoatinOkie

Then that's what you should do...

If budget wasn't your primary limiting factor, would you buy a used truck motor off of CL? If the answer is yes then that's what you need to do.

It's funny, I don't have any agenda here, I quite honestly couldn't care less what the final decision is...It's your boat, but you asked for some education in the first post, indicating that you don't know much about this.

My advice was geared toward the best, not the cheapest, solution...

I totally appreciate all points of view here, and I know there's no agenda. Budet is a limiting factor, but not at the expense of doing something that's foolish. I don't like to say that I'm seeking the cheapest solution, rather trying to find the best bang for the buck so to speak. I don't intend to put anything in my boat that will be unreliable or dangerous. Honestly, after the discussion we've had here I feel like a reman long block may be the best bang for the buck. If I had a truck engine lying around, I would definately use that, but I don't. This has been a fun thread for me so far. I've learned alot also.

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some are trying to find out what you know.

Then why don't you ask me? It would seem that your assumption is that I don't have a clue...most of the engines I've built have been for cars, that's true. But I understand more than just the basics about engine building and putting together the correct components for a specific application.

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I totally appreciate all points of view here, and I know there's no agenda. Budet is a limiting factor, but not at the expense of doing something that's foolish. I don't like to say that I'm seeking the cheapest solution, rather trying to find the best bang for the buck so to speak. I don't intend to put anything in my boat that will be unreliable or dangerous. Honestly, after the discussion we've had here I feel like a reman long block may be the best bang for the buck. If I had a truck engine lying around, I would definately use that, but I don't. This has been a fun thread for me so far. I've learned alot also.

I can appreciate all of that. I guess I assumed from your op that you didn't know anything about engines either. My mistake. I agree, if you have a motor laying around the shop that you know, I'd use it. I've just been burned too many times buying used motors from CL.

If you decide to go with marineenginesales.com let us know how it works out. They might be another good option for replacement engines...best of luck to you!

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Are you guys really suggesting a USED car or truck 5.7 for marine use? If your main criteria is cheap...that'll get a 5.7 between the stringers for sure.

Again, I wouldn't recommend a car motor for a boat...but what do I know?;)

Explain?

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I need to look at one of my sbc blocks, I'm almost positive the auto blocks aren't tapped for water jacket drain plugs....

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't buy used engines...is that too difficult for you to understand???

I'm done with your "mine is bigger than yours" contest...I have nothing to prove to YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.