Volvo 3.0 Blown Hose Part Deux, Drive Removed, Interesting Pix...

After my situation in this thread -> http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=193754

I continued to follow advice, i removed impellar, (turned out in a1 shape), all hoses, nothing in them, removed riser , nothing clogged there either, removed thermostat (turned out to be sheety shape) i decided to press on and do some maintenence. When removing the outdrive, i found THIS where the exhaust bellow meets the outdrive....interesting.... im wondering if this caused excess backpressure, robbing me of HP and more importantly not allowing the water to flow out...could this be the issue behind my blown water pump hose????

Attachments

• IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo 3.0 Blown Hose Part Deux, Drive Removed, Interesting Pix...

Ayuh,..............

I Think you've found a Very Well Done Flapper Valve........... It looks Alot like something My Love just took out of a Frying Pan.......
And,........
It's Entirely Possible,........ Down Right Probable, that it is indeed the Root Issue of your Troubles............

That's the Why for most Hard Core Boaters that take their boats apart every year,......
Just for the Fun of it............;)

Ayuh,..............

I Think you've found a Very Well Done Flapper Valve........... It looks Alot like something My Love just took out of a Frying Pan.......
And,........
It's Entirely Possible,........ Down Right Probable, that it is indeed the Root Issue of your Troubles............

That's the Why for most Hard Core Boaters that take their boats apart every year,......
Just for the Fun of it............;)

im assuming this flapper valve is something similar to the flappers on top of semi truck's exhaust....if so im guessing this flapper valve is located up near the riser at the top of the downpipe. is this part really necesary? or is it a saftey in case water somehow manages to rise above the riser? just wondering.... thanks for you response man, appreciate your time!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.............

Without it you run a High Risk of Backwash causing a Hydro-Lock with possible Catastrophic results.........

But it's up to You........

Ayuh,.............

Without it you run a High Risk of Backwash causing a Hydro-Lock with possible Catastrophic results.........

But it's up to You........

sooooo what your saying is it's probably a good idea to run one? :)

although i have one small issue left, the engine model number on my engine is an OMC sticker stating "302cpncs" with a serial number of t01292280r but i cant reference that on volvo penta .com

thanks chief, feels good finding out wtf was causing this issue. cant wait to get her back together with new hoses,thermostat, bellows, exhaust flapper etc and see how she runs now!