25el72r reserection

mikec04

Cadet
I bought it with no lower unit. Picked up used (eBay)very reasonable. One melted piston and scored block. Picked up block and piston (eBay, again) Like new. Got it reassembled.
To my surprise, it runs. :) Has good compression on both cyls (no gauge for numbers, thought).
The basic problem now, I beleive is carburation. The motor starts fine at full choke and full throttle. Will not idle down. Dies when I release the throttle. Coughs when running.
Am I on the right path thinking it's carb?
I will remove power head to finish a few things that I did not do, because I wasn't sure it would run. (new base gasket and reed valve plate gaskets (replace the silicone)
Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated. Also, where could I get the external ing. wiring harness and key switch?
Thanks

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 25el72r reserection

ebay for controllers, with the harness and cables.. does it have the round red plug. if so any controller with that plug will work. you're on the right track.

mikec04

Cadet
Re: 25el72r reserection

The plug is the old style-looks like a rounded off Chev Bow Tie, with 6 terminals inside. Saw one on eBay a year ago, went for a lot more than I cared to spend.