78 Starcraft, V5-22, What do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 78 Starcraft, V5-22, What do I have?

you commented on how thick your transom is/was

check out my thread and the I/O transom on my grumman
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362705&highlight=grumman

Mine is three 3/4 inch thick sheets of ply.
Another member said there is a minimum thickness or the input shaft of the drive will bottom in the splined coupler.

Not sure what your older drive would be, but I suggest you keep things about the same because you don't want to bottom it, and you also don't want to reduce the spline engagement too much either.

Actually my 2 " thick plywood is cut out around the intermediate and outdrive so I am not changing any of that geometry or thickness. I think the plywood is for lateral stability of the boat side walls and to reinforce for the tow hooks and swim platform mounting areas.

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

That all looks great.:eek: How much did it set you back? and where did you order from? That beast will be great for the big water when done.:D

Hello, brand new console 500.00
brand new instruments 150.00
Ebay!

5 speed

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

OK well that sure narrowed it down for me is there a eBay store that sells the new stuff for Starcrafts or did you just get lucky and find that stuff from some seller. whats the link.:D

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Ahhh! Yea OK I know of that place. I thought the you were saying the CC was Starcraft too. I see now the gauges are

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Wow 5Speed...gonna be styling for sure...very nice!!!

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've decided that I am not going back in with the plywood. I am going to use .125 square tube and reinforce the transom and tie it into the side walls for strength. It will be way stronger, lighter, and about the same price as messing with multiple sheets of plywood. I'll be designing it once I get the plywood out of the boat. :cool:

5 speed

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I've decided that I am not going back in with the plywood. I am going to use .125 square tube and reinforce the transom and tie it into the side walls for strength. It will be way stronger, lighter, and about the same price as messing with multiple sheets of plywood. I'll be designing it once I get the plywood out of the boat. :cool:

5 speed

Hmmmm..can ya doodle that on a napkin and post a pic???
Having a hard time picturing that and all kinds of torque and stress questions are popping into my little brain

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I can! The engine and outdrive is all attached to the centerline of the boat. Remember all I have attached to the engine/outdrive and the transom is a rubber boot because the engine tilts. The plywood transom doesnt even attach to the side walls... it's just a big wood doubler to transfer weight acrost the plywood from the swim platform, trailer/towing hooks and of course have a place to hang wire holders for the loom.

5 speed

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great work 5speed, those gauges look sweet, I just hope I can get some too since I think Jim is placing bids on the other set while I type this:D

I agree with Kev, I think we could use a schematic for your plans to give it the old SC club approval;)

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great work 5speed, those gauges look sweet, I just hope I can get some too since I think Jim is placing bids on the other set while I type this:D

I agree with Kev, I think we could use a schematic for your plans to give it the old SC club approval;)

It's buy it now so geterdone!! Lol Here is my vision:

thickness.bmpdrawing.jpg

thickness.bmpdrawingrepair.jpg

http://s996.photobucket.com/albums/af81/5speedhemi/
I doodled up something quick for your approval...:rolleyes:

5 speed

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Im an old man (44 special) and am having a hard time seeing those..
Really, my approval doesn't carry any weight whatsoever..
But if it isn't too much trouble do ya have that on photobucket or someplace I can blow em up so I can have a good look?

I am just really intrigued and have not heard of such an idea before..
Maybe some of the old guys with OMC's could chime (chine? lol) in.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

"I am just really intrigued and have not heard of such an idea before..
Maybe some of the old guys with OMC's could chime (chine? lol) in."

I added the links to the above little pictures to photobucket. I hope that helps you understand what idea that I have to replace the plywood transom. I hope that you all understand that I work with aluminum and aircraft parts everyday. I build 737 wing slats for a living and I also am a FAA certified "A & P" (Airframe and Powerplant) mechainic with an Inspection Authorization rating and 20 plus years working on aircraft. Drilling and inslalling rivets in a structural fashion is 2nd nature to me. I will be making it as strong or stronger than it was brand new.

5 speed

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just to clarify 5 speed..
I dont doubt your ability or background...I was just trying to get my peanut sized brain around your idea..

Now I will go look at your plans..
p.s. Have you seen the Alum skiffs in the completed boat projects? That guy is a goldmine of info!

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

"I am just really intrigued and have not heard of such an idea before..
Maybe some of the old guys with OMC's could chime (chine? lol) in."

I added the links to the above little pictures to photobucket. I hope that helps you understand what idea that I have to replace the plywood transom. I hope that you all understand that I work with aluminum and aircraft parts everyday. I build 737 wing slats for a living and I also am a FAA certified "A & P" (Airframe and Powerplant) mechainic with an Inspection Authorization rating and 20 plus years working on aircraft. Drilling and inslalling rivets in a structural fashion is 2nd nature to me. I will be making it as strong or stronger than it was brand new.

5 speed
father in law was an a&e greenland ww2 and is now 82.
that's all he did his entire life untill retirement.
sharp man, knows about anything you want to talk about and that's no joke.
worked for frontier most of that time.
to be honest if you know fabrication and aluminum as well as you say you already know if it will work.
lucky as i doen't need to replace but may in the future.
my thinking is making a honeycomb panel such as techlam makes.
sounds like your thinking ribbed panel and should work fine i would think.
we ride 15 to 20 miles in our bicycles every morning and will be a good subject.
that's just the beginning of what i want to do to these starcrafts providing i get things in order.
take care 5speedhemi, this is 6speedcummins.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

dang had to come back, you know it will work!
think about tying the stringers and transom together as one unit.
the dog house could be a ribbed aluminum unit the becomes a structural member when clamped in place.
let's go farther, think ribbed hardtop, ya!
just the beginning.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

dang had to come back, you know it will work!
think about tying the stringers and transom together as one unit.
the dog house could be a ribbed aluminum unit the becomes a structural member when clamped in place.
let's go farther, think ribbed hardtop, ya!
just the beginning.

That's exactly right! I am going to make the dog house and a battery bay in with this design. It will be strong and light as well as I am going to make it all lockable to stow my valuables!!

5 speed

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

multi row radials making thousands of hp hung from aluminum.
don't think our boat engines come close to that.
should be no problem with expansion/contraction using all aluminum.
found out also that plastic sparkplugs were used on piston aircraft stored for a long times.
the plugs were silica-gel filled to absorb moisture.
just think about using PVC filled with silica for boat storage.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes those plugs are on all newly overhauled engines or new engines. They must be replaced when they turn color to keep the moisture down. I'm not working on the transom today... raining and 6 to 10 inches of snow heading this way! I did manage to take apart my Binacle throttle about 4 times to figure out what makes it tic :D and cleaned it up, timed it, and lubed it. Works excellent now and that must of been the problem being seized up. I though it was the cables until I disconected them and nothing changed. Looks like I saved some cash there!!

Throttle.bmphandle.jpg

Throttle.jpg

The nice chrome cover was missing when I bought it so I can either paint the green black or make a cover in the machine shop out of billet aluminum...;)

5 speed

sprintst

Commander

That will be some nice custom alum work you're planning there. You'll be rated to 500 mph :)

I wish I had the alum skills as I would do the same for my engine cover, etc. I'd like to redo my dash and guage setup in alum if I can find someone who can do the bending for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.