78 Starcraft, V5-22, What do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 78 Starcraft, V5-22, What do I have?

I'm good with that! I will be looking more closely at the hull to see where the it possibly could be leaking...

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Technically, according ot the Starcraft website, it was a 1978 Islander 22 Mark IV V-5. This being a I/O and the Islander being an OB. I show 1500# on my data tag and Starcraft shows 1600# in their article. How much do you suppose the 351 engine and OMC Stringer 800 outdrive weigh? The basic boat can't weigh that much...

5 speed

Rickairmedic

Commander

5 speed the member near me is ( mrdjflores ) . He has a complete stringer outdrive and a 302 motor he pulled out of a deckboat. I have his phone number but you will have to PM me for it :D. I know he had everything on CL for a while but am quite sure he still has it all.

Rick

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

So now we have to start calling it a 78 Starcraft Custom CC:):)

Kida like this??:D

IMG00398-20091129-1521.jpg

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow I like that center console!! I have been looking for a replacement for mine and all it takes is money!! :eek:

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Time for surgery... 1984 ( Sea Ray) OMC 800 on the left, 1978 (Starcraft) OMC 800 on the right.

donor OMC.jpg

40 degrees, windy, no sun... perfect for a transplant! Picture taken yesterday, 65, sunny, calm :mad:

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anybody have a clue to how much capacity my fuel tank is? Now that we all know it's a 1978 Islander 22 Mark IV V-5. I would guess at least 40 gallons but I can't find a similar boat with a V8 inboard...

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since all of the investigation as to find out what my boat is/was ... I thought well I should call Steve back at Starcraft and tell him. I told Steve and then it all made perfect sence, to him anyway... He is going to mail me literature on my boat as it was back in 1978. I then can use that information to figure out capacaties, weights and such. Why didn't I think of this earlier! :confused:

5 speed

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats on getting her figured out, she looks to be quite the ride...I'll be watching your progress fer sure.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I found my center console replacement. It's brand new surplus fiiberglass with a stainless grab bar and the option to add a windshield later. It has a 11 gallon live well built in the front and also is another seating surface. It's almost 4' x 4' and 90 pounds!

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the small discount that I was hoping for from the manufacturer... 10% so it's gonna cost me 540.00 and 125.00 shipping because it's a bulky item. After getting this info today I was eager to get home and take the cover off the boat and officially Begin my Restoration! I hooked up the battery and started taking out all the old leaves and crap out around the engine. I did notice that this engine and intermediate is way better than the doner engine/intermediate was! The intermediate is actually bright white and not a drop of oil anywhere in the bilge! I turned on the bilge pump and it worked! It's a Attwood 760 I think so I run with that for awhile. I think tomorrow I am going to tear out the transom plywood and clean the bilge area spotless. I also want to drain the engine oil and get some fresh oil in there. The fuel gauge worked and is showing sixteenth of a tank so I think I will get some fuel and fuel stabilizer in the tank. I had 3 out of 6 instruments light up and the wires all need new connectors on them to the breakers. I got the exterior paint picked out for below the water line. I'm going with a light marine gray as to not show roller scuffs as easily. It's 70 bucks a gallon but I can put it on thick and be a water barrier from the outside. Another good thing is it is water based so super simple to use and clean up! I'll let you know how tomorrow goes and what else I stumble onto!

5 speed

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ya gonna hafta add a gear and be 6 speed brother..lol

I saw your OMC posts in the I/O forum BTW..

I couldnt help cuz I know jackdiddlydoohicky bout em..(cept not to get one..lol)

Im glad ya have an I/O though..TOO MANY puny OB's hanging off the backside of these SC's..;)

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya gonna hafta add a gear and be 6 speed brother..lol

I saw your OMC posts in the I/O forum BTW..

I couldnt help cuz I know jackdiddlydoohicky bout em..(cept not to get one..lol)

Im glad ya have an I/O though..TOO MANY puny OB's hanging off the backside of these SC's..;)

The 5 speed is what I have in my 2500 Dodge Hemi. A sixth gear would just get me into more trouble :D

5 speed Hemi

sprintst

Commander

That's going to be a super cool boat when you're done. Strip everything out so you can get at the floor and do a leak test. Put the bow down and fill it up to a safe level with water to see where you are leaking. Hopefully it's just a leaking rivet or two or from non selaed screws/bolts through the transom.

A good scrubbing and a couple cans of Gluvit to seam the rivets/seams from the inside should seal it up nice.

It's good to hear it was a fresh water boat as that will mean less or no corrosion.

I has to overcome inertia as I was kind or leary or digging into it but once you've started it's not that bad. My next big step is getting the transom right :)

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't get much done Saturday because it was 34! I did manage to put some marine fuel Sta-bil in the tank and 5 gallons of alcohol free fuel. I went out to uncover the boat Sunday and smelled fuel so I'm thinking the fill hose is cracked or there are some other issue I need to deal with. I took out the instruments and disconected the steering from the old console. I can toss the old console when I get my new one in January. I then started in on the transome removal and the rubber bumper is a challenge to get out. I managed to get it out of the rear and then I just double nutted the last 4 screws on both sides of the rear bumpers to gain access to the 5 pop rivets on each side of the upper transome aluminum panel. I am amazed how thick the transome plywood is! I was't expecting that at all! I started taking out through screws and miscellaneous hardware. I ran out of sunlight so I'll have to pick that up when I next get a chance.

Center top transome.jpg

right inside transome.jpg

transome edge.jpg thickness.jpg

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the information on my boat from Smoker Craft, Inc today! Man what a beast my boat used to be! I have a 50 gallon fuel tank too!

Bow.bmpbrochure.bmp2.bmpa.bmpb.jpg 96" beam, 240 HP , 50 Gal fuel, 45" tall transom

Bow.bmpbrochure.bmp2.bmpa.jpg I/O, 1600 pounds, same fwd and aft rails

Blended together... 1978 Islander Mark IV 22V-5 I.O.
and then modified to a lean mean Custom Center Console Machine!

5 speed :D

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

And. . . I got more done after work!

middle transome.jpgThats a big chunk of plywood!

intermediate.jpg Look how clean the intermediate is!

Transome.bmpa.jpg1 more swim platform and 2 exhaust
pipes to go!

5 speed

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you commented on how thick your transom is/was

check out my thread and the I/O transom on my grumman
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362705&highlight=grumman

Mine is three 3/4 inch thick sheets of ply.
Another member said there is a minimum thickness or the input shaft of the drive will bottom in the splined coupler.

Not sure what your older drive would be, but I suggest you keep things about the same because you don't want to bottom it, and you also don't want to reduce the spline engagement too much either.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

That all looks great.:eek: How much did it set you back? and where did you order from? That beast will be great for the big water when done.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.