• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Submerged mercruiser

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submerged mercruiser

I recently purchased a 2001 boat with a 3.0 liter mercruiser engine and outdrive. I was told by the previous owner that the boat filled with rain water while on the trailer and the plug was still in the boat. The water line is half way up the engine. I was told the engine could be turned by hand with a wrench.

How can I turn the motor by hand? Is it at one of the pullies in the front of the engine? I need to get alot of leverage in case the motor is seized. I have read the posts on how to restore a submerged engine. I want to turn the motor every day or so until I get time to really work on it.
    Thanks for the help

Re: Submerged mercruiser

Turn it at the Crank, Bottom pully.

Comment

How do you get anything in there to turn it?

Comment

I hope the oil has been drained, refilled and the engine run. If there is water in the crankcase, no hand turning is going to save the motor! Additionally, I would be suspicious that everything under the floor is soaking wet and liable to cause the floor (and more) to rot from the bottom up.

Comment

Originally posted by JCFERG View Post
          How do you get anything in there to turn it?
          Put a socket on the hex bolt in the front of the crank. Turn clockwise.

Comment

IF you try turning it by the bolt inside the vibration dampner, DON"T use too much pressure or you could snap the bolt off in the crank.

wncrjb

Comment

I'm with Boomyal. If it has not been running since it was trailer sunk, it's already toast and there's no need to try to turn it at all. You literally have hours to get the water out in order to save it...
              Full Gallop
              1998 Larson 176 Flyer
              VP 4.3GSLK
              VP PJX PowerJet

Comment

Originally posted by bjcsc View Post
                I'm with Boomyal. If it has not been running since it was trailer sunk, it's already toast and there's no need to try to turn it at all. You literally have hours to get the water out in order to save it...
                This is not true dont scare the guy away. You should tell him to pull the dipstick and look for water in the oil. Do you see any? If no and the engine turns over by hand you should be O.K. I`v seen many boats with water above oil pan (salt water) and the engins are fine. You should have no oil in the engine if your gaskets and seals are good. Floor rotting in a few years is possible but come on and steer the guy in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Flukinicehole View Post
                  This is not true dont scare the guy away. You should tell him to pull the dipstick and look for water in the oil. Do you see any? If no and the engine turns over by hand you should be O.K. I`v seen many boats with water above oil pan (salt water) and the engins are fine. You should have no oil in the engine if your gaskets and seals are good. Floor rotting in a few years is possible but come on and steer the guy in the right direction.
                  First, I agreed with Boomyal's post which said:
                  If there is water in the crankcase, no hand turning is going to save the motor!
                  To me, this advises to check the dipstick/engine for water.
                  Your statement assumes that no water made its way into the engine, which certainly is possible and probably is more likely to be the case in most similar scenarios. If, in fact, that were the case, yes, the engine could be OK. In fact, it would be running. But, the PO said the engine could be turned by hand, which is a given (and irrelevant) on a running engine, or an engine that has not seen water, i.e. they will all turn by hand. The fact that the PO made that statement and that JCFERG referred to it as a submerged engine and inquired about getting a lot of leverage to hand turn it all lead me to believe that water made it in. In my opinion, (which is what I have to offer here) it's not worth rebuilding non-exotic (most) marine engines with the damage that results from untreated water intrusion.

I'm not trying to scare anyone and advising not to waste time/money/energy can be as much of a "steer in the right direction" as specific instructions in my experience...
                  Full Gallop
                  1998 Larson 176 Flyer
                  VP 4.3GSLK
                  VP PJX PowerJet

Comment

Ayuh,...........

If you take the Spark Plugs Out,+ the Outdrive Off,.....

The motor should turn easily by Hand........

And,....... Just Looking for Water on the Dipstick isn't enough,.....
                    If you only see Oil,..... Is the oil level Higher than it should be,..??.....
                    That'll be because there's Water under the Oil......
                    If that happens to be the case,.... Drain it immediately,+ refill with oil.....
                    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

The question is how to turn the engine over, not whether he can save it.. If he wants to try, you don't need to discourage him. Anyways, the real issue is the mounting.

The 3.0L is center mounted, he isn't able to get to the crank pulley with the way it is. He will have to remove the engine to really be able to turn it over by hand. The other option is to block the engine up and remove the front engine mount, or put the front on a hoist and remove the mount. This will expose the crank bolt. (Unless there is a slot in there I am forgetting about, but I don't remember having one on my old 3.0L...)
                      If you hear hoof beats and it looks like a horse, and it smells like a horse.... there is a pretty good chance it is a horse. So you go ahead and think "horsey", not "unicorn".

1996 Bayliner 2050 SS

Comment

Ayuh,......

With the Spark Plugs Out,+ the Outdrive Off,......

You can just grab the Belt,+ roll it over....................
                        Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
                          Ayuh,......

With the Spark Plugs Out,+ the Outdrive Off,......

You can just grab the Belt,+ roll it over....................

Ditto, but I use strap wrenches on another pulley
                          90 Chaparral 2150SX 350 MAG Alpha 1
                          Vortec Heads, LT4 HotCam Upgrade
                          GM BowTie 1.6 Roller Rockers
                          Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Intake
                          Edelbrock 600CFM Marine Carb * New MPH* 65.2
                          Laser II 21 Prop 5400 RPM's Corsa Exhaust

Comment

Why not just bump it over with the key ignition? That will tell you if it's seized, unless you have a bad starter.
                            '90 Chaparral 2000SL
                            5.8 Cobra
                            '67 MFG Westfield Regal
                            80hp V-4
                            (No private messages)

Comment

water that high, the starter is probably junk, along with maybe the alternator.....Buddy had a 3.0 and did the same thing...Luckily oil was clean and was changed as soon as it was noticed, but that didnt help the starter alternator, and I believe battery, and maybe even his trim solenoids...I forget but it was a costly mistake

Comment

Working...
                              X