Going to buy a new to me motor...any tips

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice
Going to buy a new to me motor from a dealer. 1981 Johnson 85 horse. Comp. 135 all cyl. Look at wires to make sure not cracked and broken.... This is my first motor purchase, what else should I look for. Motor and all controls 1300.00 said I could hear it run as well. I want to make a wise choice so any help would be so cool!!! Thank you all in advance!!! Brad, Trish, and the kids<br /><br />This is a 1980 motor--sorry my mistake

D

DJ

Re: Going to buy a new to me motor...any tips

Brad-n-Trish,<br /><br />That was a good engine. Make sure to have the lower unit tested (pressure and vacuum) too.<br /><br />It would be best if you could hear it run in a test tank. That way it can be run under load with the correct exhaust backpressure.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would offer 1/2 as much, or make him throw in a boat an trailer. A lot of dealerships won't even work on motors over 20 years old, so make them give you a deal. I have a buddy who bought from a dealer a 1974 Glastron boat with a 1974 65 hp Evinrude and the trailer for $450.00 for all. Another friend bought a 1980 Hydrosport bass boat with a 150 Merc for $750.00. Both were tradins. The dealerships get them for free. Make them deal.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The 1981 should be a 90 hp. The last year for the 85 was 1980. Get the model number just to be sure what year youre getting. If there isn't a model number let us know - there ate a few small differences that will narrow it down some.<br /><br />Good luck!

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

What am I looking for when I am checking for presure and vacuum--what is the range it is suppose to be in? Why won't most dealerships work on a motor that old? Thank you--Brad, Trish and kids

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

2 reasons:<br /><br />1 - Sometimes can be difficult to get parts for older engines.<br /><br />2 - They make money selling new boats, not fixing old ones.<br /><br />I am running a 1969 Johnson 115hp so I am all for older engines, but dealerships aren't.<br /><br />Let me give you another example. I have a fishing buddy that got dissatisfied with his old engine. He bought a new 120 hp Evinrude from a dealership. $7,000. They gave him a $100.00 trade-in for his old 115hp Johnson. I sure they gave it a tune up and sold it for a nice profit.

J Clarke

Cadet

A pressue test is a test to see if will leak any gear oil. A vacuum test is a test to see if water will leak into the gear case under lake pressure.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There is no tolerance or range for the lower unit pressure and vacume test. It should be zero. Or you will end up with water in the lower unit.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with all the guys that a lot of$ for that motor I sure would offer alot less go to nada.com and see what its worth good starting point

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets start with the model number. Right now we dont even know what we are dealing with. Lets hope its a 90 and not an even older 85.<br /><br />Let us know!

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

The dealer is 400 miles away. He says the price is firm and in great shape. Has new power trim and has had a recent tune up. 135# per cly all controls go with. I have looked high and low around Iowa, and surrounding states. The problem is that I drive all the way there I am in court, He will think he can get his price because I am that far. I did try to ****er with him and he said how can you ****er on what you have not seen. I agreeed. Maybe a fool. I see the blue book value is really low compared to the price 335.00 high side retail I am really shocked. I am at a loss. What to do???? PLEASE shoot me some tips before I leave tomorrow!!! Did not know there was a blue book value out there. Thanks Brad, Trish and kids :eek:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'm kinda at a loss except to say again - there was no such thing as a 1981 85. If you dont look into it, you may end up with a motor thats even older. If youre sure its an 85 hp it could be a 1980 or it could be a 1970.<br /><br />Good luck! Really!

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

I am sorry I did miss type it's a 1980 not 1981 my fault. Still not sure what to do. I suppose the time of year is in the dealers favor!!! Like I said 1300.00 is asking price I just don't think a guy that know I drove 400 miles just to get there is going to give much! Brad :confused:

ledgefinder

Ensign

OK, 1980 85 makes sense. The 1979 and newer 85 - 140 hps are the same size engine (99 cubic inches), so the 85 is conservatively rated. There's not as much difference between that and the 140 as you might suspect from the numbers. Stout midrange, great for skiing - plus a hair less likely to melt a piston if the timing or carbs go off tune. <br /><br />$1300 is top dollar & I wouldn't be in any panic to acquire this one - there'll be others. Do dealers ever offer a warranty on used motors? If they can offer 30 days, and if the motor's REAL clean & low-hours, with prop and controls, $1300 might be quite reasonable - if it's really in prime shape. <br /><br />I wouldn't sweat the age too much - OMC made virtually the same motor as the 88SPL up until I think 1992.

basszzilla

Seaman

the old v-4 johnson and evenrude motors are one of my favorites, very dependable, easy to service, loads of torq and new and used parts are easily available. they are somewhat heavy(maybe why there so tough). i agree with everyone, to many $$$$$. :eek: come to oklahoma and you can easily buy one for $800 and they will throw in a boat and trailer.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I just picked up a 1995 Nissan 90hp for $400 with a 3 blade stainless steel prop, a 4 blade stainless prop, a brand new starter (in the box), and all wiring/controls...<br /><br />I'd keep looking if I were you...<br /><br />Shawn

G DANE

Commander

Brad-n-Trish <br /><br />Brad - I suggest you call the deales and tell him you are interested in the motor, but at the asking price you wount even be willing to take the trip to see it and negociate the price with him. I just bought a 1991 115 HP in great shape here for $ 1500 here. A high price at you, but fair here in DK. Surely he will give you a second price.

Yeah i agree, i looked for 3 years for a decently priced 25hp evinrude engine. (2-300$ range). 2 weeks ago i picked up a mint (could've been stolen) 1996 Evinrude 25hp engine for 50$ yes fifty. I bought it from a man who looked like a criminal, but the price was right. I thought it was a 91 but i was wrong. KEEP LOOKING<br /><br />MIKE

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I'm in Iowa as well. How about up at Okoboji or Algona?<br /><br />I had a tough time finding a used outboard as well. I ended up getting one shipped here from FL. Although I had a dead boat without it...so I know the feeling. I picked up a 92 90HP Force for $1800.00, more than book, but less than the cost to rebuild the one it was replacing, plus I now have a donor for parts.<br /><br />Just make sure you're comfortable with the deal, I'm sure if I'd have waited I could have gotten a better deal, but then I wouldn't be on the lakes this summer either.