89 evinrude 40 hp timing module?

COYOTE54

Cadet
Hi all,<br /><br />I just purchased a used boat with a late '80's Evinrude E40TTLCCS. It starts fine, idles fine, wants to die when placed into gear (either reverse or neutral), seems to run fine wide open if you can goose it a little when putting it into gear to keep it from dying, won't stay running when returning to idle while engaged in gear unless I keep hitting the choke button.<br /><br />Mechanic said that the ignition advance module is missing, which caused the timing to advance too much at full throttle and now I need a $2000 dollar overhaul because #1 cylinder has a knock.<br /><br />Does all of this sound right? I thought I just needed a tuneup.<br /><br />How much damage could have been done to the number 1 hole? Could I get by with just replacing a piston?<br /><br />Thanks.<br />Tim

alcan

Commander
Re: 89 evinrude 40 hp timing module?

Hi Coyote<br />Welcome to the board. This story doesn't line up for me. Your ignit module may be failing to fire at times (missing),but not gone from the motor. You may have damage to the #1 cylender,I don't know. You state that you "hit the choke" to keep it running and "gooseit a little". The choke in this case is actually a primer,it squirts a little fuel into the intake. The goosing sort of does the same. This makes me think that your #1 carb has a problem. This could cause damage to the cylender. The thing to do is compression test the motor. This will determine if there is damage. Then maybe we can figure out what caused it.

COYOTE54

Cadet

Thanks Alcan,<br /><br />The mechanic said 105 psi on #1 and 135 psi on #2.<br /><br />The guy I bought it from said they were both 130 psi.<br /><br />Buyer beware I guess.<br /><br />Tim

alcan

Commander

Hi Coyote<br />Well thats not the best numbers, i've seen worse. How ever I don't think this is bad enough to keep this motor from service. Are you still running the VRO, or are you premixing? I have a 90 40hp evin, this motor had no measurable compression on one cylender when I bought it. I knew this pre sale. The rings were just glued in the lands (stuck). I soaked them up with a little decarb juice and it's fine. You may want to give this a shot. I would also look into the fuel system as well, the entire system. I would also think about disabling the VRO, if your still using it. If your bent on keeping it then make sure it works and service it regularly. If I were you I think I get a second opinion.

COYOTE54

Cadet

Well, at the risk of sounding stupid, what is a VRO?<br /><br />I am premixing. Since you asked that question, I assume a VRO is some sort of automatic oil injection. If so, should my E40TTLCCS have that? There is no oil reservoir on my motor.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br />Tim

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just a thought - the E'rude doesnt have an advance module like some other brands. Also your 40 is a 1988.<br /><br />Good luck!

clanton

Rear Admiral

Like DH said, no timing module, one problem is the little plastic rollers on the timing and carb linkage. when they loose the clear plastic sleeve the timing bounces back and forth 4 to 6 degrees.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clanton,<br /><br />I did not realise the importance of the clear plastic sleeve on the rollers. Mine has been missing on both motors since I bought the boat. In fact I have grooves worn into the black rollers. I take it that I'd need to replace them? The clear sleeves, how thick are they? could I use a plastic hose?<br /><br />Thanks