89 Tracker Evinrude 40 Hp ; prop or engine?

Re: 89 Tracker Evinrude 40 Hp ; prop or engine?

Checked reeds,they looked fine. Ordered carb rebuild kits, cleaned I carb the other is soaking right now. I cranked the engine with the mix fuel line in a bucket and it pumped like crazy. I rigged up a spark tester and checked the spark on both cylinders, they both jumped a 7/16" gap and looked strong. The advance plate moves freely from stop to stop. Checked the compression again and got 130 psi on both cylinders. Also installed 2 new QL78YC plugs gapped at .030".<br /><br /> Now here is where I'm at going back to internal combustion engine basics you need 4 things to make one run. right?<br /><br /> 1. compression- got it.<br /> 2. spark- got it.<br /> 3. air- got it.<br /> 4. fuel- I'm not sure about this one, but when I get done with the carbs I should have it.<br /><br /> I,m thinking of cleaning my pistol while I'm cleaning these carbs just in case I need it to put this motor out of its misery. :rolleyes:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

badasselectric <br /><br />Have you ever tried another Tach? 30 MPH sounds about right for your set-up. I find it hard to believe you could get 28 MPH at only 3900 RPM's. Check the Tach and let us know.

alcan

Commander

Hi Bad<br />Your motor is equipt with the S.L.O.W. feature built into the ignition module (power pac). SLOW stands for, speed limiting overheat warning. The heat sensor sends a signal to the module and limits rpm. Some times the modules go south and get stuck in this mode. some times the sending unit is bad. The rest of the time everything works and your motor is overheating. This may or may not be the problem. To test the heat sensor follow the brown wire from the sensor to a plug. Just unplug it and run it see if it makes a differnce. Do make sure your not over heating first. Rule everything else out first before you run out and buy an ignition module.

Rebuilt carbs, tried running on hose. Running kind of rough at idle.What is the Idle rpm supposed to be for this engine. Checked timing at idle and it was -4 deg. Is this right? Hope I'm running better at WOT , I'll let you know next time I take it to the lake. It's raining to hard now, maybe sat. :(

Got a break in the weather today. Decarbed the engine. Also a local mechanic showed me how to do the sync and link. While I had the air cover off I noticed the top carb was coughing once in a great while while idling, but you could make it cough every time you cut back the throttle. Any ideas sure would like to get rid of that coughing. I tried adjusting the screw on the carbs, didn't seem to change how it was running to much. The book I have shows a fixed intermediate jet where I have the adjustment screw.this is the only needle in the carbs. :confused:

acc

Seaman

Hello Badazz,<br /><br />I have a 93, 40hp, Tracker Evinrude pushing a Tracker Pro17......<br /><br />The prop is 11/2X19...and its the one that was on the boat when I bought it out of this guys barn a few weeks ago..........Original???....i donno....<br /><br />At WOT, RPMs are 6000 --- at least 500 too high...<br />I'm not gonna correct it since I'm the only operator........

Well I took it out today. It ran good at WOT but still only 3900 rpm. I did get to 30 mph. Thats the good news although I would still like to get up to about 5000 rpm. The bad news is when I set up to start trolling I had a hard time getting it to idle down without dying. As I was troll ing along it just died, and would not start. I had to get towed to the dock as I was drifting into a stand of trees. At the dock I pulled my sparkplugs and they were fouled. I sprayed them out with some carb cleaner, let them dry, put them in and it started fine. Still had trouble with the idling. I talked to a guy with a 70 hp Evinrude, '92 , he said when he goes to another lake about 3000' lower he picks up another 1000 rpm. I'm thinking of taking a trip down there and seeing what happens. :confused: