zodiac zoom motor question

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
i'm thinking about buying one of these - 2008 Zoom 310 S Inflatable Boat -
i checked on e-bay and would be happy to get this boat here on i-boats.
in the spects they recommend a 15" shaft motor
i have a 9.9 sears game fisher trolling motor that i"m not using and would like to use it for this boat
i have 2 questions; how do you measure the shaft lenght and if i have, as i supect a longer than 15" shaft lenght, will i still be able to use it?
as always thanks john

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: zodiac zoom motor question

Using a longer shaft is possible but there is great possibility to break the wooden transom.If you want it only as a tender (so you won't go on plane) no problem.
I had this small rib it's very good. Make sure you get a new model because the older type had a problem on the join of the floor with the tubes, water was coming inboard!!!

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

yes we are looking for tender and speed isnt a problem
this is the $999 free shipping speical that i-boats is running now so how would i know if its a new model? would it being a 2008 make it so. this is the wood floor model but for what we want, and the difference in price to up grade to the air floor that seems ok

flashfly

Cadet

If you buy the Zoom let us know how you like it and how it works out. I am think of buying a 310 and they are recommending a 8 HP motor for it. I think short shaft.

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the old model have a piece of fabric sticked on the tudes and an aluminium rail that is hold this fabric with the bottom.The problem is that this rail is not water proof so water is coming on board. Mine zoom 310 was a 1997 model. Later model is better made.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

miker-gr - I looked into this issue and have been told by a Zodiac dealer that it was fixed for the 2008 Zodiac Zooms.

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Because i still have the small mercury i used with the zodiac i am thinking of get another small boat but if i do it, i will get a rib or a classic sib (you know the one with the wooden bottom) not a mixed type.
Another problem that this rib suffer from.

Look at this picture.Can you understand why are the 2 blades on the transom?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

to answer your question on measuring. measure from where the motor sits on the transom, to the flat plate just above the propeller.