Zodiac F470 Bailer question

newbie38

Cadet
I have a Zodiac F470. From what I can see, it has two bailers in the transom, one above the rigid deck and one below. Neither has any type of floating ball/one way valve to stop water from getting into the boat. They both have a "flap" on the outside I assume is supposed to let water out, but not in. Bottom line is that the flaps don't work, and I generally have to crimp the flaps when I'm in the water, to keep from taking on too much water. Do they sell inserts for these bailers, and, if so, where do I get them? I'm also open to other suggestions.

On a related note, I have a '98 Mercury outboard on this boat. The mounting bracket partially covers the below-deck bailer, folding the flap over. Moving the motor to starboard a few inches would take care of the problem (it's centered on the transom plate now), but I assume moving it would cause significant handling problems.

I'm kind of at a loss now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

soarin

Cadet
Re: Zodiac F470 Bailer question

the boat will take on water until you accelerate then the water under the floor will drain out.
are your chambers isolating? i cant get mine to isolate.

newbie38

Cadet

So far, I haven't had any problems with the chambers isolating. Regarding the self-bailers, the biggest problem is that the below-deck bailer seems to let water in quicker than it lets it out. For a temporary fix, I got a hand-operated bilge pump, and just insert it in a slit between the rear-most two aluminum deck sections. Seems to do ok for now...

soarin

Cadet

sounds like a good workaround for your situation. my chambers dont isolate. if i got a puncture in a tube, the entire boat would go flat pretty damn quick. i can turn the valves to like 10, 2 or 7 and isolate air escaping if the valve caps off but doing this and inflating the boat air passes readily from chamber to chamber. i have no chamber isolation at all. any suggestions?

newbie38

Cadet

Hey Soarin: I did a little research on your problem with the chambers not isolating properly. Sounds like you may have one or more intercommunicating valves that are either malfunctioning or frozen. Might not hurt to deflate the boat, break down the valves, and clean and reassemble. If that doesn't take care of the problem you might need to buy replacements. Not sure what state you live in, but there is a place in Miami that sells military replacement parts for the FC470. It is called Lifeline Inflatables. Phone number is (305) 621-1500. I think the kit for the complete intercommunicating valve is part #Z2239. Caveat: you may want to be sitting down when they hit you with the price... Good luck brother.

One other thing: The U.S. Marine Corps has a great website dedicated to its combat small craft, including the FC470. The website is http://usmc.boats.dt.navy.mil/crrc/zodiac.asp. Great resource; it has detailed schematics for the entire boat and all parts, as well as a field service manual. Pretty useful stuff.

CRRC418

Cadet

Newbie,

Are you in the US? Have you tried to call Zodiac NA to see what they can do? Another option is to ask Zodiac if the Futura model Self bailers will fit into the 470. That would be a cheaper repair option I would think. If you need, I could measure the diameter of the holes for mine on my Futura.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up the surplus 470?

newbie38

Cadet

A friend of mine had an inside line on a surplus sale a number of years back. Apparently after the first desert storm there was a glut of them going fairly cheaply. He was able to get one still in the crate and kept it in storage for a while without using it, then passed it along to me.

Currently, you might want to check out a website called governmentliquidation.com. They have similar boats going through fairly regularly, as well as some other pretty neat stuff. I've seen a number of 470s on there; recently they auctioned off a Mark V fairly cheap. Thanks for the idea on the futura self-bailer. I'll look into it.

cataractbart

Recruit

I'm also having a problem with isolating the chambers on my f470. The intercommunicating valves seem to be in good condition leading me to believ that this is a problem with the "tubes" that connect the valve to the diaphragm. I can feel the tubes through the rubber and they feel connected but they may be faulty. It seems that I will need to remove the valve in order to visually inspect this problem, but it also seems that the removal of this valve requires a special tool. Has anybody had to resolve a problem like this? I have to fix this problem in order to use this boat for the purpose for which I bought it. Class 4 white water with a single chamber boat is a chance I'm not willing to take.

Steve-0

Recruit

I had the same problem with the scuffers on my FC470 landing directly under my engine mounting plate. I got some 1/2"x6" aluminum plate, cut one piece for the left of the engine that goes right to the bottom of the engine mount, and cut the right piece a little shorter so the bailer is a little less crimped. I don't take on water and water can still exit from the lower bailer. My only issue is the steering arm (I have a console with a wheel) rubs on the transom and has rubbed through some paint. I'm going to put some thin aluminum up there to stop the rubbing.

Drop me an email addy if you're interested and I'll send some pics.