zinc chromite then paint the outboard or prime then paint?

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
I've searched around but i get different answers and I cant decide which way to go with this. Motor was is fairly rough shape, paint wise, and decided to paint it. I sanded down the whole thing and since i had various spots where the aluminum was visible decided to spray the zinc chromite paint over the whole thing. Now what I cant find is if I should prime the motor before painting or since the zinc chromite is already a primer should I just paint over it? tnx

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: zinc chromite then paint the outboard or prime then paint?

The zinc chromite is the primer.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In agreement with Dew2. The green zink chromate is the primer, especially formated to protect and adhere to aluminum and it is the only primer you need.

yorab

Ensign

I am by no means an expert in painting so take this advice with a grain of salt. You may need to apply another coat of primer over the zc if the topcoat color won't cover the green zc very well. I learned this when I painted my block yellow. After numerous coats (too many) the green still showed through the yellow in some spots. As far as adhesion goes, the zc is fine on its own.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

ok... very good, thats the answer that I was hoping for... I'm using Interlux polyurethan one part paint which i have used in the past,with great succes, painting the whole boat. I plan to put 3 coats per instructions so hopefully that would cover the green ZC ... thank you for your comments

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Very important to remember that color choice affects the amount of coverage needed, depending on the qaulity of product used.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

before and after pics... with two coats so far 1 left to go... the pictures were taken right after i painted so the gloss is not very visible, plus the motor is in the garage...

Boat 1 011.JPGBoat project spring2011 013.JPGBoat project spring2011 026.JPGBoat project spring2011 022.JPG