Zebra Mussels

SS182

Seaman
Zebra Mussels... others may be aware of this in OK and elsewhere, but just an FYI..<br /><br />- A New Problem in Oklahoma<br />A small mussel known to greatly impact the environment has been found in the state, prompting concern by state and federal officials. Zebra mussels have been found inside the locks at both Robert S. Kerr and Webbers Falls along the McClellan-Kerr Navigation System, and may already occur in other Oklahoma waters. <br />Researchers believe that zebra mussels were accidentally transported to North America by trans-Atlantic ships. They were first found in the United States in St. Clair, Michigan, in 1986, and are expected to spread throughout the majority of the U. S. waterways within a decade. <br />What Are Zebra Mussels? <br />Most zebra mussels are thumbnail size. They have an elongated, D-shaped, somewhat pointed, thin shell with a zebra-like pattern of stripes. <br />Adult zebra mussels can be as large as 1 1/2 to two inches and live up to five years of age. They have threadlike filaments used to attach themselves to boat hulls, reefs, navigational buoys and other submerged objects. <br />Zebra mussels reach sexual maturity when they are about one-half inch in length. Females typically produce from 30,000 to 100,000 eggs per season, but can produce a million eggs in a single season. Reproduction can occurs when water temperatures are between 54 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. <br />Due to their high reproductive rate and the limited number of natural predators, zebra mussels can significantly populate a body of water in two or three years. They can cluster together with hundreds of thousands per square meter. <br />Possible Impacts <br />The zebra mussel's reproductive and living habits have raised concerns that they may affect the American aquatic environment. By altering the food chain and water chemistry, as well as through sheer numbers of mussels, native aquatic species may be adversely impacted. <br />Zebra mussels may also affect man made facilities either built in water or that transport water. They clog water intake pipes and disrupting water withdrawal operations. This causes problems with lakeshore municipalities and industries, power plants, farms and irrigation systems. More than 70 percent of U.S. power plants are expected to be affected by the year 2000. <br />High water flow rates inside pipes provide a constant source of food for the mussels. There, they cluster in mats on top of each other, lining the inside of pipes. The larger facilities of the Great Lakes are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars each year in efforts to eradicate the Zebra mussel. <br />Researchers face the challenge of finding a way to eliminate the zebra mussel without harming native species. Experimental methods for controlling the mussels have included chlorination, thermal flushing, mechanical filtration, anti-fouling paints, electrical shock and acoustics. Although some treatments have proven effective for spot control, eliminating zebra mussels once they are established is not likely. <br />****************************************************<br />Problems and Solutions for Boaters <br />Boat owners who frequent known zebra mussel waters, such as the Navigation System, should be especially cautious. The mussels attach themselves to, and grow within, water intakes of both inboard and outboard motors. Subsequent restriction of water flow can cause motors to overheat. <br /><br />They also attach themselves to boat hulls, which affects boat handling, reduces fuel efficiency and slows boat speed. If a boat hull feels grainy or gritty, it might be covered with young zebra mussels, which are about .02 millimeters long. <br /><br />As prevention, boats should not be left in the water for extended periods of time. With regular use, engine heat will keep mussels from colonizing inside most engine parts. Because microscopic zebra mussel larvae can be unknowingly transported in bilges, engine cooling systems, minnow buckets, live wells and anywhere water is trapped, the following pre- cautions should be taken to help slow their spread. <br />* Drain the bilge water, live wells and bait buckets. <br />* Inspect the boat and trailer immediately upon leaving the water. <br />* Scrape off any zebra mussels found. Do not return them to the water. <br />* If possible, dry the boat and trailer for at least a week before entering another waterway. <br />* Wash boat parts and accessories that contact the water using hot water (at least 140 degrees F.), a 10 percent solution of household chlorine bleach and water, or a hot saltwater solution. Do not wash your boat at the boat ramp where these solutions could pollute the water. Always finish with a clean water rinse. <br />These tips will help protect our environment from further spread of this mussel and will help protect water users from expensive repairs and mussel clean-up costs. <br /><br />For the Future <br />To address Oklahoma's zebra mussel problem, a task force has been formed. The task force includes representatives from the Wildlife Department, Oklahoma Water Resources Board, Oklahoma State Department of Health, Oklahoma Conservation Commission, Oklahoma Biological Survey, U. S. Bureau of Reclamation, U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Geological Survey and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. <br /><br />Throughout the summer, Oklahoma water ways will be monitored by task force agencies to find out how far the zebra mussel has spread. The task force is asking people who find zebra mussels to collect some and contact any task force agency. <br /><br />For more information about zebra mussels or to report findings, call:<br /><br />U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (918) 669-7411, or<br />Oklahoma Dept. of Wildlife (405) 521-3721

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Zebra Mussels

This subject is better suited for-Nothing to do with boats.

Carphunter

Commander

I figured Zebra muscles would be kinda like Horse muscles, since they are sorta built the same. :D

FLATHEAD

Captain

Zebra muscles are no joke. We have several lakes which require a quarantine period for boats. :(

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

I do most of my boating on Lake St Clair, mentioned in the article, and those things have been nothing but a pain. The only remotely positive thing about them is they clean the water and reduce the pollution, and even this is negative because fish eat them and ingest the toxins.

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I've heard, if you like to fish for smallmouth bass, you will love zebra mussles.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Zebra's have been in the Ohio River for about two or three years now. They are a pain. I work at a power plant along the River and I can tell you these critters get into everything. We chlorinate the water as it comes and it kills them. But, they clog coolers something fierce. At my shop, boats coming in that spend the summer in the water have the darn things out and in the outdrives. One poor fellow had his water tube darn near plugged off because of the darn things. He left the valley for a month and left the boat in the water while he was gone. Get a snag in the river and pull it up and it's covered with the Zebra's. No doubt, they are a problem. But how do ya' kill the suckers without harming the other species already here?

rwise

Captain

At least one lake in OK is already infested, seen it on TV the a few days ago. Warnings have been in our fishing regs for several years. I mostly fish the same lake with the same boat, do not let it set in the water more than the trip, and inspect it every trip. So far the only zebras I've seen was on TV. There is talk of killing everything in the lake and starting over, but it's also a water supply. And not exactly a smale lake! something has to eat these things. One of the problems they were talking about on the news, zebras use the oxygen out of they water, small fish need that oxygen. Big fish eat small fish, no oxegen no small fish, no small fish no big fish, no big fish no fishing!<br /><br />This is a fishing issue! And a boating issue. etc.<br /><br />Richard

Carphunter

Commander

I try to see the funny side to everything Flahthead, thats what keeps me feeling young. :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I have to think that pleasure boaters and sports boaters, like Bass fishermen and folks that change lakes often, agrivate the situation. If your in a body of water that is known to have Zebras, then by all means after your boat is recovered, wash it down with clorox and flush the engine out with clear water. No, I'm not saying that boaters are the entire cause. Nature helps even more probably. But I do think we can help curb the spread a little as the original post in this thread suggests.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

they are a pain for sure we have had them here for years and yes they really clean up the water but tey do have a negative impact as you all have said

JHOLE

Seaman Apprentice

We have had them from the beginning. Everything said above is true. Heads up for people who are just now starting to get them - they make razor blades look like butter knives.

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear it, Oklahoma. Your in trouble. Theres simply no stopping them! They are for sure very sharp little b@$*%#^'s! I like the fact that they clean up the water, being a diver. But an (almost) equally negative drawback is that they cover the wrecks (and ANYTHING else) 2-4 inches is a good average around here. I hear in lake Erie it gets 3 to 4 FEET thick in places. Since they clean up the water, more sunlight gets down there, making weeds much more abundant, and we have green slime all over now, some relatively new type of algea. theres positives and negatives, mostly the latter, but once the first one is there, theres nothing you can do.<br />Craig

golfer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Someone touched briefly on this, but I want to give a warning....Be very careful around the mussels, they will put you in the hospital. They are very sharp, and in clusters or seperate can wreak havoc on any human body part. Step on one hard and you will be cut to the bone. I do alot of boating in the Bay here in Traverse City, we have a ton of Zebras...Have to be very careful walking on the bottom, they are like land mines. I have been told that one of the really big concerns, not addressed very often, is the effect of the mussels cleaning the water. Sounds like a great thing, but it is terrible! This lets the sun go deeper, and easier into the water, and promotes weed/algae/etc. growth. Imagine in 20 years swimming in weed carpets. This thing is the Ebola of the water, and needs to be killed, regardless of the negative impact on other species (unless of course the impact is greater than the outcome). :(

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Its been reported that the eggs can also hitch a ride on the feet/feathers of ducks and other migratory birds.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We got em up by us. They latch onto anything, and I mean anything. They mostly bond to old clamshells and tumble across the lake bed as a razor sharp mass. Awating any unsuspecting boater to jump off and plant his foot firmly onto. They also clog drainage pipes and overflow drains. Mess.

**Didnt think to look at the age of this post before I replied, still relative though I suppose**

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

So how do other contries deal with other zebra mussles? Why are they a problem here but not anywhere else?