Youth and the Death Penatly.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
The Supreme Court has ruled that a minor cannot be put to death. So any that had been sentenced to Death are now sentenced to Life. Simple question ... Agree or Disagree?

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: Youth and the Death Penatly.

I saw on TV last night were a kid killed some body(s), and was one day shy of his 18th birthday. Now I cannot see the justice in this. :mad:

Homerr

Commander

You take a life... You give your life.<br /><br />Simple as that the way I see it.<br /><br />(Of course there are exceptions... someone trying to kill you, military, etc...)<br /><br />H.

gaugeguy

Captain

Justice Kennedy in his opinion for the majority cited "international opinion" as one of the major factors in why they reached their decision. Since when do we create our laws according to foriegn opinion? This could open a whole new can of worms. <br /><br />Good for Justice Scalia for lambasting the majority in his opinion for the minority.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A sixteen year old who kills anyone should definitely be hanged, electrocuted, gassed, injected or shot. <br /><br />So should a six year old. <br /><br />They're both minors.<br /><br />(EDIT) <br /><br />A nice simple kill 'em all rule is definitely best, especially if it gets rid of the victims and saves wasting valuable resources investigating just why they might have committed their crime.<br /><br />It ain't a simple yes / no answer.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Why is the state putting a kid to death any different than the state putting an adult to death?<br /><br />Why do we value a youth's life more than someone who is 18+.<br /><br />Why do we think that someone younger than 18 isnt smart enough to know right from wrong.<br /><br />The circumstances involved around the death are way more important when determining punishment.<br /><br />Ken

Stratosfied

Ensign

Very well stated Ken, and my thoughts exactly.<br /><br />But, it seems that 'the' court thinks that it takes a village. BS.

NYMINUTE

Captain

If the penalty is off the board the gangbangers will employ the kids to whack their rivals.

KennyKenCan

Commander

This is just the Supreme Court saying that you are stupid, and that they know what is good for you and America! <br /><br />You and I will have absolutly no say in what these bleeding heart libral judges rule on, even though they claim they are acting in your, and my behalf!<br /><br />If these judges truely want to rule on my behalf, then they should be required to learn to follow the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independance, before they can even begin to consider ruling on changing it!<br /><br />This is what happens when 3 wealthy, neo nazi, athiest librals, force their will upon the rest of us! <br /><br />295,578,863 end up suffering!

cmyers_uk

Oh ****, I guess I am the one who voted No, as Im a minority group now you cant all abuse me remember that!.<br /><br />We had a case overhere where two 10 year olds killed a two year old baby, horrific case but im not sure that I feel happy to execute them both, I dont see how that achieves anything other than revenge. There are age bounderies where you understand the full consequences of your actions. For example what if a 4 year old held his sister age 3 under in a bath, do you blame the 4 year old and kill him or the parent who left them<br />unsupervised. Its a tough call

gaugeguy

Captain

The two ten year olds wouldn't be eligible for the death penalty here either Chris, even in Texas or Florida. It WAS for juvies who committed their crimes at 16 and 17 years of age (maybe even some 15 year olds).

Stratosfied

Ensign

I will have to agree with this logic,"That the circumstances involved around the death are way more important when determining punishment."

cmyers_uk

The two ten year olds wouldn't be eligible for the death penalty here either Chris, even in Texas or Florida. It WAS for juvies who committed their crimes at 16 and 17 years of age (maybe even some 15 year olds).
Thanks Gauge, quite happy once they reach 15 - 16 they have learnt the difference between right and wrong, I thought from the responses like Tinkerer that it meant no age was too young.<br /><br />Does this mean I might not be a liberal?

KennyKenCan

Commander

Should a 6 year old be put to death?<br /><br />Probably not.<br /><br />But what about a 6 year old who has plotted to kill his/her buddy's?<br /><br />He/she has spent the last 5 weeks planning, and aquiring the needs to commit his/her premeditated crime.<br /><br />In this case, yeah, string him/her up by the neck till dead!<br /><br />But a 6 year old who blows away his/her step-dad, because the step-dad is beating up his/her Mom, well then, I'd have to say NO! Thats just self-defence.<br /><br />Its all about the circumstances!

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

I am absolutely amazed at the results of this poll. Since a majority of the people all claim to be new testament God fearing christians what happen to the proclamation "justice is mine." Said the Lord (paraphrasing)<br /><br />While I agree these delinquents should be punished does anybody disagree that teens and younger have no concept of the future. They are only aware of the here and now. They only care about the past 10 mins and the future 10 mins they don't think 10,15, or even 20 years down the road. And while they may grasp the difference between right and wrong. They probably do not grasp the long term consequenses of their actions. Is this not a form of "insanity"?<br /><br />And what would be the worse punishment, death or having a 16 yr old grow old and gray for the rest of his life behind bars. Contributing, at least some what, to the prison community. <br /><br />Let me carify my position, I am against the death penalty, as if you couldn't figure that out. I am also human enough to realize that position may change if it was a family member that was the victim. After doing much reseach, the death penalty is plague with inconsistancies, Innocent people sent to death then released because of DNA evidence, socio-economic disparity,etc... <br /><br />And I also recognize that I am not going to change anybody's mind so I will leave it that we will agree to disagree.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Recent research has verified what our ancestors knew intuitively, that the human brain does not complete its development until the middle twenties.<br /><br />That's why our ancestors didn't allow children (under 21) to drink or vote, but still used them extensively to fight wars. Young people haven't the judgement of adults, they have fully developed agression and libido but little self discipline.<br /><br />How does this relate? I am not sure, but I have known people who were completely evil in their childhood who grew up to be completely evil adults. I have also known really mean, wicked children who grew up to be responsible, law abiding citizens.<br /><br />Should a person under 18 be automatically immune to execution (I don't see it as a punishment, I see it as a way to protect society permanently)? I don't think so, but I also think that they should be viewed as who they really are. . .children. . .in deciding what to do with them.<br /><br />Sentencing an 18 year old to life in prison will cost the community about 3 million 2005 dollars to house and feed him/her for 60 years. Why bother? Sentencing him/her to death would cost about three times that before the lawyers and the courts get done with appeals, etc.

Link

Rear Admiral

If the (Darn Judges) would put stealing automobiles BACK to GRAND Theft Auto with serious jail time attached, there would be far less of it.<br />Same with all other crimes kids commit<br /><br />Right now a Gang Banger/kids only fear other Gangs.. they dont fear the Law! Why should they. <br />Esp if they are a minor! They know nothing serious is going to happen to them.<br /><br />Do your social studies..then get back to real life. Kids learn what they can and can not get away with then act accordingly

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hey jg,<br /><br />The Bible also says "An eye for an eye"!<br /><br />So, we should just have the Bible edited, to eliminate that too, huh? Good thing the Supreme Court isn't in charge of that!!<br /><br />If your old enough to even think up the crime, let alone commit it, then be prepared to reap the consequences of said actions.<br /><br />But I must enphasize, that when the courts are dealing with a minor child, that the circumstances are everything! And, for that matter, the circumstances should be weighed, in all cases brought into court! <br /><br />Read my post above.<br /><br />Unfortunatly, in this day and age, the courts have become a circus media! Its not about proving whether or not a person is truely guilty of said crime, but rather that someone, even if its not the actual perpatrator, that gets procecuted for the crime. Its more about the lawyers resume, that matters, then lives the lawyers destroy!