Your Finest Hour

Carphunter

Commander
Re: Your Finest Hour

Wow Ladyfish.<br /><br />You are a great person, thats for sure.<br /><br />You always have to upstage us fella's here, don't ya. ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

Oh Carpy, you are soooooo sweet ;) <br /><br />Excellent post, LF.

gonfishn

Commander

I also never knew Kenny and have my utmost respect..<br /><br />Being A paramedic for over 25 years I will look back and see how many people that are still here because of my being there..Many of whom would come by and say thank-you..Many times once we left folks at the Emergency Room we never saw again..<br /><br />The most pleasure I have experienced is that I have delivered three babies. My first and most memorable one was when after a firefight I found a Vietnamese women in labor and helped her give birth amidst all the death and destruction around her.I placed a baby boy on her breast and the smile she gave me made it all worth it..<br /><br />I found out later she gave him a nickname of Doc but I never saw her again..

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks but I didn't post it to blow my own horn. In fact, I debated for a day whether or not it would come across as that.
blush.gif
<br /><br />I posted it to show that we can all help change the quality of life for others. Whether it be baking cookies for an elderly neighbor and spending just a few minutes of your time visiting with someone who is lonely, or just listening to someone who really needs a friend. Little gestures can always make a difference in someones life. We just need to take the first step.

KennyKenCan

Commander

OK, now that more of you know, please don't dwell on it.<br /><br />Don't make me regret informing everyone, as this is one topic I wish not to discuss in detail.<br /><br />I feel that I should remove what I posted, because it is now buggin the crap out of me, but this is also part of my therapy, so bear with me.<br /><br />I am getting by, without being reminded everyday of the week, and I wish for it to stay that way.<br /><br />Please do not flood this site, or any other site for that matter, asking me questions about that day.<br /><br />I will not respond to any inquiry.<br /><br />Maybe, one day in the distant future, I'll be able to discuss that day freely, but I will make that decision, no one else.<br /><br />Thank you all for honoring my request.<br /><br />Thank you, to all who offered their kind respect, I really appreciate the thoughts.<br /><br />Hope I didn't kill this thread, that was not my intention.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I have been racking my brain for one defining moment, I just cannot pick one. There have been so many on so many diffrent levels.Thinking about some of the top contenders sure have brought a smile or two though, thanks.

Carphunter

Commander

Hey Kenny, you'll always be one of the 4 stooges to me. :D leave it up to me to say just the right thing, i'm good at that. :p <br /><br />I will absolutely respect your request there buddy.<br /><br />Now, hows the "new" family doing?

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hi Carpy,<br /><br />All is well with the "new kids".<br /><br />They will be visiting me this weekend for the holidays.<br /><br />Also plan on them helping me get to the boat prepared for the water.<br /><br />Gotta make them earn their keep, if you know what I mean.<br /><br />Also planning a wedding, as Kevin is getting married in October. (Another one bites the dust!)<br /><br />Other than that, nothing new to report.<br /><br />How's everything on your end?

Carphunter

Commander

Glad to hear everything is going good Kenny.<br /><br />Everything is great here. The boys started their new baseball season which is always fun.<br /><br />Took the boat out the other day with the boys, and it ran great. We caught about 30 crappie, nothing big, but thats ok.<br /><br />Turkey season just around the corner, I can't wait.<br /><br />Congrats on the upcoming wedding.<br /><br />As they say, life is good. :) <br /><br />Stay in touch.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Parrott_head,<br />You started this thread and did not post "your finest hour". I have not determined mine yet but will post it as soon as the :p wife tells me what it was... Or will be!!

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

trblshtr,<br /><br />Like the rest of all of you the common things that make us all who we are. The love of someone special, the tenderness of a new life.<br /><br />The one time I put it out on a limb for someone else was a few years back.<br /><br />I was headed to work at about 6:20 am.<br />It had not rained for maybe three weeks.<br />The morning was a gray overcast, drizzly day. The roads were just wet enough to float the oil off the surface but not get the oil off the road. Very slick.<br />As I approched an intersection I notice the car ahead of me had stopped and I could see volumes of steam and black smoke ahead.<br />As I pulled closer I saw the wreck. It was bad.<br />A small pickup had packed off under the rear axles of a tractor trailer that had been pulling out of a shipping terminal. <br /><br />Front and rear windshields were gone and the fire in the engine compartment was coming across the dash and out the rear windshield area.<br />Two men were valiantly trying to open the drivers door of the truck but it was stuck and the heat was driving them back. <br /><br />I jumped out of my truck to assist the other two men when a lady yelled at me and tossed a 2.5 pound fire extinquisher. By the time I got to the vehicle the men had pried the door open but could not get close enough to grab the drive.<br /><br />I put the bottle across the dash and sprayed into the engine compartment. The driver was unconscious on the floorboard of the pickup.<br />I crawled onto the drivers seat of the cab to try and get the fire supressed better. The other two men grabbed the guys legs and tried to pull him clear but he was too big and wedged in.<br /><br />With one hand I directed the bottle and with my other hand I grabbed the guys shirt and lifted. I was able to take enough of the weight up so that the other two guys could pull him free.<br /><br />Once we got him out of the truck I lifted him by the sleeves of his shirt with his head between my knees. The other guys still had his legs.<br /><br />We ran holding the victim this way until we got to the shoulder.<br /><br />The victim was wearing an insulated hunting type t shirt and the insulation was burning in a few places. I ran one hand under the shirt and the other on top to smother the flames. If you have ever got the melted end of a poly rope on you you know how sticky that stuff is when it is hot and melted.<br /><br />The paramedics arrived about that time and took over. The victim was still unconcious but was reflex coughing.<br /><br />I later found out the guy was 6'5" and about 280. Didn't seem like it at the time.<br /><br />I wish the story had a happy ending but it did not turn out that way. He never regained conciousness and was pronounced dead less than an hour later. I found out later he was one of two brothers. His younger brother had died in a car wreck a few years earlier. <br /><br />I was contacted by the coronor after a couple of days. I wanted to know if we had done the right thing by moving him when we did. The coronor replied that if the victim had been wearing a seatbelt he would of had some cracked ribs maybe but would have lived. The victim died as a result of hitting the steering wheel. Massive damage to internal organs.

LadyFish

Admiral

There are so many great stories here.<br /><br />I just wanted to add a link to the pic of the little girl I was talking about.<br /><br />If you ever run across anyone with this disorder please, please make sure they see an opthalmologist. Surgery really does change their life. <br /><br /> Ashley Before and After

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

My finest hour,<br />Any hour on the lake towing my daughter around in the tube.<br /><br />She was born with spina bifida and we had no warning. When she came out and I saw the open spot on her back with the bottom of her spinal cord hanging out I aged 10 years in ten minutes. She had brain surgery for a shunt, spine surgury to repair the defect on her back and both of her legs were in casts to repair the broken femur and clubed feet before she was 18 hours old.<br /><br />The Nerosurgeon told us that she would never be able to situp by herself because of the level that her spine was damaged.<br /><br />Today 7 shunt surgeries one bladder surgery 2 ankle surguries later can walk with braces but live most of her life in a wheel chair. She sat up by herself when she was 9 months old and has been proving every one wrong ever since. Her favorite saying is " No daddy I can do it myself. <br />She attends regular school and caught her first legal stripper this year.<br /><br />This summer she wants to try the knee board.<br />Every time I put her in the tube I am a little afraid for her saftey but after all she has been through I thank god that she make my hair turn grey.<br />Every time she complains about how hard math is in the first grade, I soak it up. :) <br /> <br />she is my finest hour!

LadyFish

Admiral

Bluewater there is a reason God put people like you on this earth. You prove it everyday of your life. :)