Your Finest Hour

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer
In response to JB's post where he expressed his concern about the amount of negetive posts in Dockside Chat I thought I would pose this question to the members of the forum.<br /><br />If you were lying on your deathbed and you had to choose one thing you did that you would consider "Your Finest Hour", what would that be?<br /><br />The moment of your wedding?<br /><br />Birth of a child?<br /><br />Taking a stand knowing it was right buy knowing it would have repercusions?<br /><br />What would be your finest hour?<br /><br />My Best Wishes to All,<br />Parrott_head

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Your Finest Hour

Oh, that would the time I backed my buddy's new Ford Ranger into a mud hole that was about 4 feet deep. Yeah, we were drunk. Five hours later I pulled him out with my 4x4 Yota, but not before we filled his nice cloth interior with some primorial slop. I popped over to his house the next day to discover his interior was gutted and stewn all over his front yard, and he was standing in drive with a garden hose rinseing out his truck. And yes, we are still friends :rolleyes: <br /><br />My second finest hour would be the time I stuck my 4Runner in some primorial slop in the middle of the night on the coldest night of the year. After digging for hours, we called a tow truck. He got there about midnight and stuck his big tow rig, which then ran out of gas. At about 2:30AM I was out and the tow truck was out, and about 8 or ten tow truck employees were out there. I didn't make any freinds that night.<br /><br />The on my son's 15th birthday we went bowling. On the way home I noticed the gate to an interesting little trail was open, so I decided to explore. About five hours later we were all covered in mud, mud all inside the truck, my son and his friends all pi$$ed off at me, a buddy in Dodge 4x4 pulled us out.<br /><br />Maybe my absolute FINEST hour was the time I stopped up the toilet :eek:

ndemge

Commander

soulwinner....<br /><br />Sounds like you need a chevy :D :cool:

SoulWinner

Commander

Ha haaa ha....verrry funney ndemge. What I really need is to get my head out of my a$$ sometimes :p

KennyKenCan

Commander

Surviving on September 11, 2001.<br /><br />72nd floor, Tower 1, World Trade Center!<br /><br />It was my worst, and my finest 3 hours.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My finest hour occured when I was going home after a blind date with a part Irish lass named Vicki.<br />We'd had a great time and riding the motorbike back to the coalmine I realised that we "clicked". Yes I believe in love at first sight.<br />That was when we were 19 years young and thereafter started a trip that I never wish to end, she's been my best friend, partner, lover, confidant, she's laughed and she's cried with me. I couldn't love her any more than I do and that still increases each week.<br />Yup that date was my finest hour indeed!!<br />Ross

Stratosfied

Ensign

God Bless you KKC. I never knew that. We lost a local in the Pentagon attack. My finest hour (lately) has been rescuing a kitten left on a deserted bridge and two puppies later. We found that the puppies had Parvovirus and we have them today in the picure of good health. Generally, I am just an average "Joe".

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have to go with Ross on this one.<br />Some 30+ years ago was mine and have not looked back since.<br /><br />She is my all around buddy.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Finest hour or smartest hour?? Hmmmm.<br /><br />Smartest hour? When I married Elizabeth, 49 years ago.<br /><br />Stupidest hour? When I gave her a divorce, 27 years later.<br /><br />Finest hour? When I reported my employer's violations of law and professional ethics to FL Attorney General.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Buying a Force outboard, just to prove everyone was wrong about them. :D

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My being invited to Buckingham Palace, for a private tour and cocktails. I was in there for over a half a day. It was the invitation of a life time!<br /><br />This was about 20 years ago, during one of my Europe trips.<br /><br />The second best part of the above, was getting Christmas cards for several years running, from the "Royal Household." <br /><br /> ...Bob in Calif...

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dec. 27th, 1972 - first date. Like wise with Ross J & SBN - Aug. 30th will be 30 years of marriage. She loves God, me, our daughter, and fishing.<br /><br />When the tranny in the Ranger started going bad, told her we would have to get it fixed. Her responce - let's go look at 4 door trucks. I now drive a 4 door Dakota that was her idea. How luckly can a guy be. :D :D :D :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Watching (and kinda participating in) the birth of my sons. Nothing I could ever do could be finer.

ehenry

Commander

Finishing the eulogy my Daddy wrote and was trying to read at the funeral for his older brother, my uncle Jessie. By the time I finished it we were both helping hold one another up. Also the things Parrot_Head listed.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

My finest hour is any hour spent with my wife and our two sons. I have it pretty good.

Carphunter

Commander

My finest hour(s).<br /><br />The birth of my Sons.<br /><br />My marriage to my sweetheart.<br /><br />My first Buck.<br /><br />My first Turkey.<br /><br />My first Largemouth over 5-lbs.<br /><br />But most of all, the precious time I spend with my family. I have my finest hours everyday. :)

Carphunter

Commander

Kenny, I too never knew that. <br /><br />I don't even know what to say except, Thank God your still with us buddy. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

the day my first son was born. as soon as they<br />handed him to me, I looked in his little face and<br />it was like lookin in a mirror at myself! changed<br />my life forever from that moment on. he's 16 now<br />and towers over me, but we are good buddies :)

LadyFish

Admiral

Of course the birth of my daughter, holding her for the first time and seeing a reflection of myself, and knowing that I created a life. Followed by the birth of my first grandchild and seeing that same look in my daughters eyes.<br /><br />Catching my first 58 pound Cobia was a shining moment for me too. However the first time I honestly felt that I had been put on this earth for a reason was when I made it possible for a 10 year old child to see.<br /><br />I found this child while performing a vision screening at her shcool. She had a severe case of strabismus (lazy eye). Her mother had left her on the doorstep of a friend when she was only a year old and was never in touch with her again.<br /><br />This friend, a single man never married but supported this child the best way he could. He took her to an opthalmologist when she was 4 and was told that the vision could never be restored and that surgery would only fix her cosmetically.<br /><br />As Ashley grew older her good eye did all the work and the other eye turned so far inward you could barely make out the iris. She was not only legally blind in the affected eye but as she grew older she became reclusive, started skipping school, her grades were falling and she told me her mother probably didn't want her because she was not perfect. Kids were calling her names at school and making fun of her.<br /><br />My heart bled for this beautiful little girl. I knew she would have to provide for herself one day and would never have the confidence to excel and she was so bright. I then made it my mission to do everything in my power to get the surgery done.<br /><br />When I approached her father's insurance company, they told me the same thing "the procedure is cosmetic only" and refused funding.<br /><br />My guts told me different so I pursued the issue with several hospitals and opthalmologists until I conviced one to do the surgery at no cost.<br /><br />The physical and emotional advantages of this surgery were vital to Ashley’s future. The cosmetic change was an added bonus for her as she interacted with her peers and would give her the confidence needed when she gets out into the working world.<br /><br />The delicate surgery was done by adjusting the muscle tension in Ashley’s impaired eye, thereby allowing it to move outward. She made a full recovery and is now enjoying full vision. Before surgery her vision was 20/200 now she is seeing 20/25 in that eye. The entire procedure was extremely successful.<br /><br />She has completely changed. Her demeanor is up, she has plenty of freinds now, she's involved in socker, and last year she even narrated the school's Christmas play.<br /><br />When she thanked me I became so weak at the knees I thought I would drop to the floor. The tears of joy from both of us will be something I remember for the rest of my life.<br /><br />When I went to bed that night I realized we all have the power to change someone's life for the better and its the greatest feeling in the world to use it. :)

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you follow that? I'm all teared up(realy). Good job Ladyfish.