Your Favorite Hunting/Camping Grub

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Your Favorite Hunting/Camping Grub

I agree Boomy!!! MSG, mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm good!!! Talk about a flavor enhancer and chest tightener...hey, I know some folks who could use that!!! (Did I say that???)<br /><br />I remember those days, boomy...imho, there ain't no other seasoning thatn Johnnys's...I buy BIG 40# bottles at Costco!!! :rolleyes: :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

some of y'all got serious camps for that kinda<br />cookin! I like to really ruff it with the bare<br />essintials u can pack in, so eats is limited.<br />throw a few small red taters in coals wrapped in<br />foil with some garlic/onoins and take a couple<br />fresh stream trout cooked whole on a stick....<br />a good bed of hot coals makes 4 good eats!<br />man am I hungry now.<br /><br />PS. can I camp with u EF! :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br /> some of y'all got serious camps for that kinda cookin!
Childwold NY, 1/8 mile from Dumas' bar. Name of the camp is "half-way house", stop in sometime, the more the merrier and the camp is staggering distance from the bar, even though some of us have slept in the ditch. Uncle Bill owns the camp, tell him Kenny sent you and you will be welcomed just like family ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Call it Steak Boomyal. A real legend around these parts. (especially with the Boy Scout dads, on campouts)<br /><br />Two 1 1/2" porterhouse steaks<br />one cube of butter<br />6 to 8" round bag of Mushrooms, sliced 1/4" (they will shrink considerably)<br />Montreal Steak seasoning<br />6 oz of Yukon Jack<br /><br />You have to have a large 15" cast iron skillet to do this right and you have to have a hot fire. <br /><br />You can do this in the camp fire with a suitable bed of hot coals (use 2 bricks to support the skillet) or you can do it in a barbeque if you can place the skillet 1/2" above the a generous amount of coals.<br /><br />Heat the skillet, rub the stick of butter around the bottom of the skillet. Slap in the seasoned steaks and sear each side for about two minutes each side.<br /><br />Place the remainder of the butter in the skillet and pour the Yukon Jack over the steak and around the skillet. When the flames subside, flip the steaks around to mix everthing up and cover the steaks in the juice.<br /><br />Pour in the mushroom slices, mixing quickly to saturate the mushrooms in the juice. This will cool down the skillet a bit, that's why you want a good bed of coals. You want this to continue 'actively' cooking so you don't 'stew' the meat.<br /><br />Continue to actively stir the mushrooms and occasionally turning the meat, until the sauce is reduced and the mushrooms are well carmelized. The timeline object is to have the mushrooms/sauce carmelize at the same time the meat is done to medium. Once you add the Yukon Jack things move pretty quick. (assuming the fire stayed hot) <br /><br />Remove skillet from fire as soon as you reach that point. Cut up steak and get ready to be launched into Nirvahna.

oddjob

Commander

The old man likes to go to Red Lobster or Olive Garden Over in Cocoa about 40 min away. We used to cook but the new trailer kitchen is usually in-operable after the first season. Dad aint much on washing dishes and I usually have to clean it enough just to make a sandwich. <br /><br />My favorite food out there it Thanksgiving dinner. Its a pot luck of about 100-150 friends or relatives of the club. First time I ever had Fried mullet..umm...Was told it was a crap fish...NOT!.... After dinner we grab about as many plates of food as we can for the next two to three days....Were hunting dammit!<br /><br />Best wild pork I ever had was a Italion dressing marinaded tenderloin wrapped in heavy duty foil tossed in the morning coals for 30min. You can do it all with foil.

Macu

Cadet

Deer Camp: Well our deer camp is an oil storage tank converted to a camp called the "Chrome Dome".<br /><br />Favorites are last years Deer made into sausage. Then Deer roast and Deer chili. <br /><br />Gene, the camp cook makes a great seafood gumbo, and there's always some black eyed peas, beans, rice dressing, cornbread or something to stick to your ribs.<br /><br />Every now and then if one or three of them gro-becs have a coronary and fall into the pot, we'll put a gravy on that too and serve it with rice.<br /><br />Does beer and whisky count as an appetizer?<br /><br />;-)

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

I go light, maybe some matches, if i don't forget em. <br />The Kids think i am nuts, wife thinks it's funny. But we eat good, so I guess We cath lots of fish, frogs, quail, dove, (don't eat rabbit anymore, not after that big green lump in the last one, yuck!). Yeah, she packs it into stuff while Im getting ready to go. But I go light!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Breakfast: Brats and coffee/juice.<br /><br />Lunch: Brats/with chips soda/beer<br /><br />Dinner: Brats on buns Beer/mixers<br /><br />can't find brats, try italian sausage

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Dependent on what we caught ,Striped bass in mushroom and garlick sauce or dogfish(YAK)with brandy to get rid of the taste.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dogfish?? :( you bring them back to camp???gotta be better than carp....I would think.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Seven of us leave for camp Sunday in the state of Maine!!! Sunday evening we will be having a turkey dinner with all the fixins!!! We eat better at camp then we do at home!!! Also we alternate nights!!! One night we eat in and go to town the next!!! ;) :cool:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

My favorite huntin/camping grub.....Longnecks. Shouldn't be no surprise.
46.gif
<br /><br />BUT!! Coffee first thing in the mornin'.
43.gif

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea OBJ, I have my pot ready now for 1am.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I hear ya' Les.....love that stuff in the morning. <br /><br />I got ta' thinkin' bout it and once I posted a good recipe for beans. So....I went and found it so I could post it for LF. Here it is for all to enjoy. Fact....makin' a pot this weekend.<br /><br />As originally posted....<br /><br />She herself and Me was up early this morning to do some more work on the house. I said, "why don't I make up a mess of beans for supper and just let them cook all day?" She said great, get to it. Again, the beans were a total success. The kids got wind of it (literally) and showed up at supper time. Nothin left but an empty crock pot. Got plenty of good kudos from the family and I thought, well, knowing there may be some bean lovers out there, why don't I jist post my recipe and share....so....here's my recipe guaranted to keep the house full of odiferous odors for at least two days.<br /><br />I don't use any magic or voodoo. Just what looks good. I dump about 2lb of beans in the crock. Dice up a goodly protion of ham and throw that in.<br /><br />Then I dice up about five strips of bacon and fry them till crisp and dump out most all the grease. Into the skillet goes a good size diced onion. My formula for onions is, 1lb beans a good size onion, 2lb beans a little larger size onion and so on. <br /><br />I think the word they use is saulty (?). Well, just throw the onions in on top of the bacon and let them cook for a few minutes or until your eyes are about ready to fall out. I take the mix and dump it on paper towels to get rid of any extra bacon grease and then dump this bacon/onion mix into the crock. Throw in some salt and pepper and let her cook.<br /><br />Now when the soup gets a little thick and near servin time, I drop in some thumbnail size dumplings and let the whole thing cook for another 1/2 hour or so.<br /><br />You can also throw in some veggies like celery diced up or carrots is good to. <br /><br />Serve it up and watch the faces of folks that like beans. Sliced up raw onions on the side and fried taters round out the meal. And if ya want to get fancy, make a couple skillets of corn bread with fresh country butter.<br /><br />Dang.........gettin hungry again.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Dang it OBJ, I just knew you were going to do that again.<br />Man, I will have beans tomorrow and wife beware. :D :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Les....we ever get the chance to meet up with some of the other guys around here, what we need to do is have a bean soup cook off. Think the area we'd be in could take it???
26.gif

SpinnerBait_Nut

Might stand the cook off, but don't know about the aftermath. :D :D :D