Your Favorite Hunting/Camping Grub

LadyFish

Admiral
We did this last year and its was fun. Since we have quite a few new members in DC I would like to know what you guys cook for a crowd at your hunting camps or when you just go camping. You know that big pot of stuff everyone rants and raves about.<br /><br />Please don't leave out important ingredients, I know how you guys are. :p

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Your Favorite Hunting/Camping Grub

Jambaylaya<br /><br />peeled large shrimp<br />peeled cooked crawfish tails<br />chicken cut into chunks<br />spicy link sausage<br />stick butter<br />1 (13.25oz) can mushrooms<br />1 can Rotel tomatoes (diced)<br />1 can French onion soup<br />1 can beef broth<br />2 cups rice<br />green onions<br />Tony Chachere's to taste<br />minced garlic <br /><br />Melt 1 stick butter, Sautee chicken and sausage in butter with green onions and garlic. When chicken is almost done, add shrimp.<br /><br />In a large black pot (black iron pot - dutch oven) put in the rotel, beef broth, French onion soup and crawfish tails.<br /><br />When chicken/sausage/shrimp are done, put in the black pot with the other stuff.<br /><br />melt more butter in the pan and then pour the rice in the pan. sautee the rice until covered. Pour into black pot.<br /><br />Season with Tony's to taste.<br /><br />put black pot (covered) in a 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. ( you can also use the black pot as a dutch oven). I never make this at home...only when camping.<br /><br />Feeds about 6-8 people.<br /><br />Real easy to make and everyone who has ate it loves it!<br /><br />I usually use about 3 boneless breasts of chicken, 1 full link of sausage, about 1/3 - 3/4lb shrimp and about a 1/2 quart bag of crawfish tails from previous crawfish cooks.<br /><br />the initial recipe I had only listed chicken....I added the other meats.<br /><br />Good Luck!

ehenry

Commander

Theres 13 members in our camp but only a few of us do the cookin. Poppa Murph is our resident gumbo and italian food guy, Ike the Prez is the redfish/roast/steak master, Daddy Dave works wonders with turkey, gravy and pies, My claim to fame at my camp is chicken and dumplins. The first time I made them,Daddy Dave thought they were so good he signed the cook house wall with "The Best Dumplins I ever Ate....cooked by Dumplin EED!!" Another claim to fame is my cornbread and turnip greens. Everyone brags on that.<br /><br />If a bag of oysters hahppens to find their way in to the swamp just stand back and let my boy, The Swamptater, go to work. He can shuck an oyster faster than anyone i've ever seen. He also enjoys steamin them on the grill.<br /><br />We also have a resident cajun. Anybody know what a cajun can't cook??? If anyone knows let me know.

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks KK, I will definetly add that one to my cookbook.<br /><br />
Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> My claim to fame at my camp is chicken and dumplins. The first time I made them,Daddy Dave thought they were so good he signed the cook house wall with "The Best Dumplins I ever Ate....cooked by Dumplin EED!!" Another claim to fame is my cornbread and turnip greens. Everyone brags on that.
And the recipes would be.......................gotta share efhenry.<br /><br />How bout some wild game recipes while we're at it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My favorite is after getting out of the deer blind a nice eggs/bacon/toast breakfast. Extra greasy.<br /><br />We keep it simple, but this year we have 110v electricity so we may get a bit more complicated.<br /><br />Ken

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I love breakfast outdoors the most I cut up some taters,throw them in a skillet with a bunch of butter,brown them up a little,then through in some onions,green and red peppers,fry it up real good,then throw in a bunch of eggs,mix it all up like scrambled eggs,then cover every inch with cheese,cover with foil and make some toast.... shoot--now I'm hungry.

ehenry

Commander

Ms Ladyfish, Sorry....My C&D recipe in a family secret handed down by my Granmamma. I can't be letting it out. <br /><br />NOW, If you're chunkin a gauntlet for a kitchen dual....consider it scooped up and your challenge accepted ! ! ! My Chicken and Dumplins against what ever you desire to whip up.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

We usally keep it simple while family camping but a few of my hunting camp favorites are Breakfast Tacos...Nothing fancy there but there is nothing like coming back to camp in the Mountians to a BIG good breakfast. But the one meal I most look forward to is Tenderloins and Heart sliced thin rolled in flour fryed in butter in a cast Iron skillet over the camp woodsatove. No fixins just straight out the pan until everyone has had there fill...usally a couple hours worth of cooking. The only thing better is being one of the lucky hunters that scored the grub.

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> NOW, If you're chunkin a gauntlet for a kitchen dual....consider it scooped up and your challenge accepted ! ! ! My Chicken and Dumplins against what ever you desire to whip up.
Oh boy, do I love a good cookoff challenge. Been known to take first place even.
51.gif
<br /><br />But we will need some taste testers. <br /><br />Hmmmm, tylerin and spratt are you up for it?
28.gif

spratt

Lieutenant

All my recipes are pretty simple...take, for example, Steak le grille...<br /><br />- Get the Weber lit and ready<br />- Take a 16 (or larger) ounce Rib Eye Steak<br />- Spread a generous amount of Johnny's Seasoning Salt (made right here in the local Tacoma fish house<br />- Grill the seasoned steak for about 5 minutes per side, or until the meat is still reddish inside<br />- Remove from grill and eat while still hot

spratt

Lieutenant

Now, any Washingtonian or Oregonian can vouch for this one also!!!<br /><br />- Salmon le grille<br />- Same as above, but add garlic powder and lemon pepper to teh mix and put it all in a dish of butter; microwave till melted and stir up<br />- Before grilling salmon, cover the grill tray with foil (for easy clean up later)<br />- While salmon is cooking on grill, generously baste the fish with the pre-mixed seasoning<br />- When fish is flaking, remove from grill by scooping the meat from teh skin with a spatula (hence the easy cleanup, since yo uonly have to roll up the foil with the skin and toss into the garbage)<br />- Place on table and watch it disappear

gaugeguy

Captain

On the last Saturday of hunting camp (drinking camp), my uncle Vern roasts a pig on a spit. Doesn't get much better than that, good company, good eats and good beverages ;)

spratt

Lieutenant

gauge, yer right there...the company around the pit is as good as eatin' the pork!!! Specially late up in teh night with good friends, after a day of chili and beans, etc... :) :) :)

gaugeguy

Captain

Xactly Spratt. We have 18 guys in our camp, and sleeping in there is not for the faint of heart. Between the snoring and the sonic chili booms...that is the reason you have to be snookered to fall asleep. :D

KennyKenCan

Commander

I strongly suggest that if anyone wants to taste Campout Grub, follow any of KeltonKrews recipes, you won't, and can't go wrong!<br /><br />This guy really knows how to cook in the great outdoors, I know, I've sampled his cooking, and it was the best!<br /><br />This man can do magical things with BBQ!<br /><br />7 hours to cook corn, who'd have thunk it!

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

"Beans & Weenies", so you don't waste time with cooking and interrupt your beer drinkin, bullshooting time.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> - Spread a generous amount of Johnny's Seasoning Salt (made right here in the local Tacoma fish house
Hey Spratt! What do ya bid for my jar of original Johnny's Seasoning Salt? Back when the they still used MSG. Mmmmmmmmm. Now that's what makes steaks happen. :D