You guys are gonna love this one...

BassFishin42

Recruit
Re: You guys are gonna love this one...

Wow! I just spent a hair over $400 to get a custom Taylor boat and motor cover for my 17 year old Javelin bass boat that will be sitting the most part in my driveway (just a tad tooo long for the garage) when its not being towed to a few lakes in my area (Conroe, Livingston, Rayburn, Toledo Bend). I didn't even bat an eyelash at the price, figured 400 bucks is a lot cheaper than putting another grand in carpets and seats!

Cabela's did the honorable thing in this case. BUT- the OP should have just gone and bought another cover without all the hoopla that I'm going to imagine that he did over that cover..

shrew

Lieutenant

I am willing to pay a little bit more to know that I will be satisified. I bought a winter jacket from Kohls for about $75, in less than a year the seams under the armpits started to become unstiched. I returned it and have been buying from LL Bean ever since.

Kinf of a weird position since Kohls doesn't manufacture the items they sell. The jacket was made by a manufacturer, such as London Fog. LL Bean doesn't make clothes or jackets either. They have an OEM manufacturer make them and use the LL bean labels and logos. Bad product, I boycotte the manufacturer. Bad service, I boycott the reseller.

Now, if the seller is farming out manufacturing on the cheap, then I avoid that retailers brand of product. Since this was a Cabelas cover, I would simply stop using them if I thought they were inferior. For the price of this cover, I think it is you get what you pay for.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that most on here would argue that leaving a boat cover in the Phoenix sun goes beyond normal use, kind of like off-roading with your new car engine.

It's the same place that he bought it. Why would it not be considered normal use? I have had my cover for a couple of years under the California (desert, not beach unfortunately) sun for a couple of years and no ill seems to have come from it. The cover basically looks brand new. I think I paid about $70.00 for it from...you guessed it....Wal-Mart. Boat is bone dry after the winter and the cover hasn't failed in any way.

Like I said, faded, dirty, stained, etc is pretty normal after a couple of years, but if the MFG goes so far as to put a big ol' "5 year warranty" sticker on the box, to me they are making the claim that this cover is expected to last the consumer at least 5 years.