You got to look at this impeller!!

newtoallthis

Cadet
Finally got the lower unit off with some help from some good people on here. Check this impeller out. How do I know this junk is not lodged in the motor somewhere? Airhose I'm guessing. What is the plastic piece called on the shifter shaft located on the lower unit. It looks pretty beat up. May need to replace that also. Thanks John005.jpg

narvlebenoit

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: You got to look at this impeller!!

That plastic is the water pump housing with the looks of that impeller I would change it to.

newtoallthis

Cadet

Yeah I'll probably order one those housing's. I was wanting to know what this plastic part on this shaft is called. It looks beat up.014.jpg

carholme

Rear Admiral

Here is the parts list for your engine:

MERC 402 - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

If you look at item 43 under GEAR HOUSING ASSEMBLY, COMPLETE (PAGE 1), this is the reverse lock cam which prevents the engine from rising upwards when in Reverse gear. I think that may be what you are seeing. Scroll down the page to item 43 and click on the picture of the cam, then click again to enlarge it.

Gerry

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same thing happen to my 25 Mercury where the impeller "grenaded". I had little pieces of rubber stuck in the water jackets and the only way i could get them out was to pull the head and completely clean. Some of the pieces just are to big to get blown out.

Mi duckdown

Commander

If I saw an impeller like that. I would check cylinder compressions. Just ME.?? Can't hurt. You need to find all impellar pieces.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL I no longer feel bad about how awful mine looked!

bgc

Ensign

Thats gonna take some time to clean out......... For good measure, I change mine every other year. If you're going to keep this motor I would recommend a routine for service.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMG.... get some bubblegum and zipties and your good to go lol my impeller looked new when i replaced it and now after seeing your I will never look back.