Yet another OMC stringer tilt question.

H2ot Times

Cadet
Should I be able to grab the outdrive,with the boat on the trailer, and lift it up with no resistance ?

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Yet another OMC stringer tilt question.

if u can do that you have a problem.

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice

if you can do that you have SERIOUS problems. Do NOT use that boat until it is corrected! You can tear up the drive gears,(especially in the water!)

chiefalen

Captain

what year outdrive and make and model would help.post it and i'll try to walk u thru fixing it.but do not run that boat in the water till fixed.maybe a small problem.

H2ot Times

Cadet

1979 3.0L OMC400. I took the cover off of the tilt clutch and found milkshake. When I lift the outdrive the outer ring of the clutch doesn't turn just the inner part does. The tilt motor doesn't work at all, but I think that is an electrical issue.
I have already had it in the water and did slight damage to the ball gears when I tried to use reverse and the outdrive tilted up rather than the boat backing up.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

"I have already had it in the water and did slight damage to the ball gears when I tried to use reverse and the outdrive tilted up rather than the boat backing up."
That's exactly why you need this fixed before you use it again. :eek: :D
Sounds like either the clutch pack is toast, or the wormgear or shaft is stripped/broken. Pull the gear and clutch and check. IIRC it's held in with a large snap-ring. If the gears are ok, you could try to revive your clutch pack. Search chiefalen's posts. He's described how to re&re the clutch fairly well.

chiefalen

Captain

usually the clutch pack will rust up and not allow the outdrive to go up.when u are looking at the drive from the back there is a half moon gear connected to a round gear .is the round gear there.is the half moon gear there?

RJLeuwen

Seaman

1979 3.0L OMC400. I took the cover off of the tilt clutch and found milkshakeWhen I lift the outdrive the outer ring of the clutch doesn't turn just the inner part does The tilt motor doesn't work at all, but I think that is an electrical issue.
I have already had it in the water and did slight damage to the ball gears when I tried to use reverse and the outdrive tilted up rather than the boat backing up.

So there still was some oil in the clutch housing. (good thing)

The clutch pack is slipping!! or you would not be able to lift the drive up manaully, this is caused by the the snap ring that keeps pressure on the clutch plates becoming dislodged from it's groove in the clutch shaft. It wiil jump out of the groove if the lower unit hits something! (usaully under the water)

RJ

H2ot Times

Cadet

The half moon gear and the small round gear are both still there and look like new. Is that snap ring on the gear end of the clutch shaft or the bearing (bushing) end ? Meaning the end that the cover slips over.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the snap ring is out of its groove, hold it at arms length and view it from the edge. You will likely see it is no longer flat. Turn it around and reinstall it, or replace it. As for the tilt motor not working, it is probably toast due to rust.

chiefalen

Captain

do u have a manual?order a rebuild kit for the housing.raise the outdrive all the way up.what i did was jam a piece of wood in the large holes in the intermediate and outdrive itself to keep the drive up be carefull it is heavy the outdrive.now the drive is up and out of the way.take off the gear that connects to the half moon gear.take off the triangle shaped cover on the front of the gear housing.remove all the components of the housing.inspect all the parts.do not try to take apart the clutch.it will need a press to put back together.soak all the parts over night in the most powerful solvent u can get.acetone is good.clean out the housing good.i used spray brake cleaner in a can cheap and perfect for this.go inside the boat way low on the port side is the tilt motor.disconnect the battery.clean all the connections.ground also.most don't clean the ground,be smart clean all of them.pull the tilt motor.there is a small hammerblow coupler on the end of the shaft of the tilt motor.is it still good not frozen or rusted up bad?rebuild the housing new seals.if tilt motor still good install or install a new tilt motor don't forget the hammerblow coupler very important and the gasket..80 bucks gets u a new tilt motor.a good used tilt clutch maybe 30-50 bucks auctions all the time on ebay with all good used tilt clutch componets.re connect the battery. now the stuff soaking blow them dry.soak them in motor oil 2-3 hours.new seals all installed in housing?install the parts in the housing.pack the housing with greese.i know it calls for 30 weight oil.pack it with greese.the housing will leak again they all do.do not over tighten the bolts that hold on the cover it will bind the clutch.gear back on that connects to half moon gear?cross your fingers remove wood.hit the switch the tilt working?while the drive is up there is a hole half way up the drive on the front its a zerk fitting shoot it with greese u will need to push the pump nozzle in the hole till u feel the zerk fitting.5-7 pumps will do.put down the drive.remove the rubber bunpers gently pry them off don't mix them up .shoot the zerk fitting both sides.install bumpers and your good to go.good luck let us know how u made out.

H2ot Times

Cadet

I finally got around to pulling the clutch pak out. The moon gear and the small gear on the clutch pak Look like new. The large brass outer gear on the clutch pak, the one that meshes with the worm gear, also looks like new. I yried to get the worm gear out to inspect it but when I took the 3 bolts out of the triangular cover on the back side I couldn't get the round plug,for lack of a better name, to come out and expose the end of the worm gear. I can feel the worm gear with my finger and I don't feel anything that would lead me to believe that there is a problem with it. the clutch pak it self has very little resistance if you hold the inner shaft and turn the large brass gear on the outside edge, You can turn that outer gear quite easily. All of that having been said I suspect the friction plates, or surfaces, what ever they're called, are simply worn out. Am I on the right track here? Can I buy a new clutch pak and just put my gears on it or do I have to buy the whole unit?

chiefalen

Captain

You can probably get a good used clutch pack on e-bay. You can still use

everything else. Sometimes they sell everything in the clutch housing together.

Good luck!

mattfish68

Recruit

Wow. It looks like I may be in for a lot of dinking around. I have a 78 OMC outdrive and my lower unit is stuck in the down position in the driveway. All I get with my switch (I only have one switch - up or down - no trim or anything else) is the celonoid clicking. I loosened all the electrical connections up on the THREE celonoids and sprayed them with an elecrical cleaner. Only thing is is when I tightened them back down, I busted one of the studs out of the plastic. I wanted to be sure it was tight and making a good connection and oops. I am getting 3 new celonoids today and going to replace all three to eliminate that part of the puzzle. Looks like I may have a-lot more to do - hope not but we will see. All of you out there posting help to others of us that don't know much about this yet is such a great help.... Thank you so much.