Yet ANOTHER hvac question.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
ComfortMaker heat pump approx. 11-12 years old.

Went to turn on the AC for the first time thie year a couple of days ago and got warm air (mid 80 degrees out of the vents). The fans were working, and every so often I'd hear a buzzing/ humming noise from the outside unit for 4-5 seconds like something wanted to turn on but couldn't. Doubted it was just freon cause the heat was working well just a couple of months ago.

Turned off power, discharged the capacitor (3 terminals, maybe 4" long, double unit I think?), removed it and the contactor and took 'em down to a HVAC place. The capacitor was shot (I learned what the term 'domed' means). They didn't test the contactor, just suggested that I put in a new one rather than risk cleaning & reusing it since the silver contacts were pitted. Before taking it off I tested it according to instructions in my 'Time-Life: How to Fix Things' book & ir seemed bad anyhow (unless you need the capacitor hooked up when you test the contactor; I think I removed it before testing).

Replaced the parts and turned electricity back on, but kept AC turned off at the thermostat; I know that you need to turn the liquid freon back to a gas if electricity has been off to the unit for awhile or risk doing some serious damage.

Here's what's troubling me; when I turned on the electricity, I didn't hear any noise from the outside unit. Should there have been some noise if the compressor (I assume) was turning the liquid back to a gas?

Given the 'no noise' condition, I'm kind of afraid to turn the AC on in case there's more wrong than the capacitor (and probably the contactor). I'd hate to do any more damage if something else is still wrong.

Anyone know whether I should have heard some noise when I kicked the electricity back on (again, AC still off at the thermostat)? If so, best steps to take from here? I'd like to resolve it myself if at all possible as funds are kinda tight right now.

Thanks for any feedback!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: ANOTHER hvac question.

No, you will not here anything. You may be confusing it with the defrost cycle you hear when in the heat mode. If all you did was replace the contactor and capacitor, should be no problem. Turn it on and see how it goes....

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Rick. Gonna squirt a couple of drops of oil in the fan motor and then fire her up. Hopefully everything will work.

Working like a charm. Great to have cool air again!