yet, another blinding flash of the obvious.... lol

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I spend most of my waking hours out in the garage, tinkering and thinking... but don't think I'm thinking. Make this about anything you've suddenly realized before or after the fact. We could all use some pointers from time to time.

The cold is perhaps something we all have to tolerate this time of year. I'm an outdoors person and hate to be confined. And I have 1200 sq feet that I pay dearly to heat and no one's inside. I have a DVR that records the weather channel so I can see what I missed while engrossed in whatever was missed with the door down :lol:

But just had an epiphany!! Wouldn't need but maybe 20' of ductwork to heat the garage....:stupid:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
20' of exposed duct work would cool off to ambient temps and become cold air.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
20' of exposed duct work would cool off to ambient temps and become cold air.
yes, it is a detached garage and would have to wrap it. It's only a thought, I like me some cold weather brrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol am tuff and have clothes!!

Just find it curious how sometimes an obvious idea hits me much later than sooner!!!!

Razor blades rust, that's some why they dull. There may be other alternatives to less expensive ones, but I keep mine in a coffee cup with an inch or so of Olive oil between usage. Shave in the shower - it's only me here so the water bill stays low?? lol - couldn't tell ya exactly how long, but am getting over a month with one Mach III blade.

Eventually, it does start to dull and drag a little, but NEVER nicks my skin!!! I may be tuff, but my facial skin is not :jaw:
edited to say - am using one blade until often those little plastic strips come off, and still get a good shave

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I get two months per blade cartridge. What does that have to do with heating your garage.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
lol the thread is about a blinding flash of the obvious.... only used heating the garage as an example of an observation that should be easily apparent.
My beard is thick haired, if I shave at 6am, have 5 o'clock shadow by 10am - brand new blade or not!!! :facepalm:

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Havn't shaved in months! And until it warms up I don't intend to !

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All of my working life I've been exposed to extremes of temperature and some other extremes, too :lol: And the medication I'm on makes that now almost impossible - plus my heart doesn't pump like it should. This thread started because my right foot got real cold; upon removing my boot, I saw the problem. My sock was inside out :facepalm: :lol: Yet, another blinding flash..... lol

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I built a Buck Stove style face out of 1/4" plate with angle perimeter bolted to a recirculating fire place in condo we once rented. First time we used it, I must have put tooooo much wood in because it was 125* upstairs in nothing flat!! Good thing it was in the low twenties that night

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Put a wood stove in the garage. Heat when you need it.:D

I used an old boiler, added an oil drip to it to burn waste oil. Burned pallets from work. Has it plumbed into the house to heat the basement of the house. Nearly free heat

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
and another BFO lol; I could just stop shaving, face would be warmer... and not trying to impress anyone anyway. I put earplugs in my nose to keep it from running today!!! NOT! :lol:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
my neighbor screaming "are you insane?"
what?
"You've got your fan on!!"
yeah, I'm pulling the cold air out and letting the slightly lol warmer air come in :D It ain't much warmer, but I'll take it any way I can get it!!