Yep, it's that time! :-(

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
So normally, when winterizing my Merc 4.3, I simply put fuel stabilizer in the tank, pull the 5 blue plugs, make sure they drain properly, and that's it. (It doesn't get too awful cold here in Georgia for very long).
But since I have a newly remanufactured engine, I figured I'd throw in a few more steps, specifically AF for its anti-corrosive properties. My plan is:
1. Run engine, spray fog into carb until it dies
2. Pull the 5 plugs (what does the one on the front actually go to?)
3. Pull hoses off (still need to determine which ones - looking at Youtube for this)
4. Pour AF down said hoses

Now my question is: to take advantage of AF's anti-corrosion ability, do I need to re-install the plugs and leave the AF in the engine, or will simply pouring in AF 'till I see pink coming out ensure the inside is protected from corrosion? My instinct tells me I need to leave it in with plugs...)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the big J hose and the hoses running to the coolers need to be drained

yes, you need to use a good PG AF and leave in the engine.

if you have a brand new engine, why did you not install a heat exchanger?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed that is the very first thing I’d do…

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, clean the spark arrestor, grease the zerk fittings, spray the engine block with corrosion guard, change the engine oil and filter, change the water separator, grease the steering rod, pull the prop and clean the propshaft, remove the barnacles. I miss anything?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Gee, clean the spark arrestor, grease the zerk fittings, spray the engine block with corrosion guard, change the engine oil and filter, change the water separator, grease the steering rod, pull the prop and clean the propshaft, remove the barnacles. I miss anything?
Yep....get a big bottle of scotch and become depressed for the next few months until boating season returns !!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It used to take me all day (short days in December) to pull the boat and winterize my MerCruiser 4.3LX.

With my OB motor, I can be on that scotch by noon!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep, it took me about 2 hrs to do my I/O and about 1/2 hr to do our Suzuki DF2.5. But I do love my old Chevrolet.