Yard sales, are they really worth it?

gaugeguy

Captain
I am a pack rat. My attic is overflowing with my stuff. Well, the boss got sick of it and is having a yard sale this weekend. I think I would rather bring it all to the dump than to have strangers haggling with the wife over my stuff in my yard.<br /><br />Anyone have any yard sale horror stories, or good finds at one? BTW, there are no Honus Wagner baseball cards there. She is not getting rid of that collection ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yard sales, are they really worth it?

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br />BTW, there are no Honus Wagner baseball cards there. She is not getting rid of that collection ;)
Oh GG, don't get me started on JP.<br /><br />Born: February 24, 1874 <br /> Died: December 6, 1955 <br /> Debut: July 19, 1897 <br /> Height: 5' 11" <br /> Weight: 200 lbs. <br /> Batted: Right <br /> Threw: Right <br /> Position: Short Stop <br /> Teams: Louisville Colonels Pittsburgh Pirates <br /> Hall of Fame: Inaugural Class 1936 <br /> Given name: Johannes Peter <br /> Nickname: The Flying Dutchman, Hans <br /> Batted .300: 17 Consecutive Seasons <br /> Length of Career: 21 years <br /> NL Batting Champion: Seven years <br /> Stolen Bases: 722

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I love garage sales...other peoples anyway!!! I doubt I will ever have one though, just seems like a nusance. I once disposed of an entire housholds worth of stuff by hauling it to a thrift store run by a boys home. It went to a good cause so I felt good about it and I got reciepts from them for my taxes. It was either that or the dump due to cercumstances. Really doubt I will ever have one unless it is hauling some of it to someone elses sale, let them deal with the circus.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by SBN:<br />Oh GG, don't get me started on JP.<br />
Do you have his card, my dearest oldest buddy ole pal? :D

ndemge

Commander

From what I've heard, you will do better donating it all and getting a receipt for your tax deduction

ehenry

Commander

Horror story???? How's this for one...We had a garage sale and a car load of women pulled up to plunder through the stuff that was for sale. They parked across the street from my house. While crossing the street one of the women tripped and fell..in the middle of the street before she ever set foot on my property. I was named along with the city in a lawsuit cause the clumsy a$$ woman who was about 325 lbs. on the hoof tripped and skinned her knee and busted her chin because she wasn't watching where she was going. It took 3 of us to get her up...brought her in to my house let her clean herself up, gave her bandaids and such and still was named in a lawsuit AFTER SHE STAYED AND PLUNDERED THE STUFF AND BOUGHT SOME THINGS ! !! ! !! !

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br />
Originally posted by SBN:<br />Oh GG, don't get me started on JP.<br />
Do you have his card, my dearest oldest buddy ole pal? :D
Just 2 GG.<br />1994 Upper Deck #55 and #163

gaugeguy

Captain

Those aren't the card I'm looking for :(

vista4u2

Seaman Apprentice

I know they can be a hassle, but the end result often time means a lot less clutter, and in some cases, a big pocket full of money. My experience is that, in the end, its been worth it. Besides, sometimes, some nice babes stop by! :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br />Those aren't the card I'm looking for :(
Well little buddy, which ones you looking for and I will see if I can locate for you.<br /><br />I have some close "Friends" in the baseball card business. ;)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Never worth it for me!!!<br />Now the wife,! that's a differant story!!! she keeps all the money!!!! :confused: :(

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

We go through yard sales all the time. I love picking up the old PII's for browser and chat systems for the kids. I have a small network, or large compared to everyone else's home network, and it keeps them off the gaming computers with the horse power. It also keeps the hassle with monitoring whos turn it is on the computer, down to a minimum.<br /><br />I come across all kinds of things in yard sales. The other day I came home with a decent cordless phone. I spent $5 on it instead of buying a new one that I won't use that much. However I hate being tied to a wall or base when I do have to use one.<br /><br />My wife picks up all kinds of things. The other day she got some baby clothes for a friend. We have goten pieces of house hold material from time to time.<br /><br />Remember. One person's garbage is someone else's treasure. :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by vista4u2:<br />I know they can be a hassle, but the end result often time means a lot less clutter, and in some cases, a big pocket full of money. My experience is that, in the end, its been worth it. Besides, sometimes, some nice babes stop by! :p
I live in NH, the babe count is pretty low up here. Half of them haven't crawled out of their igloos yet ;) And besides, the wifes gonna be there. Not good to be scoping out a hotty with the boss nearby ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Oh yea, did pick up a Hoover Wind tunnel at one.<br />The on/off switch was bad and they bought them a new one.(Hoover)<br />This one still worked and the switch would work sometimes and still have it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br />
Originally posted by vista4u2:<br />I know they can be a hassle, but the end result often time means a lot less clutter, and in some cases, a big pocket full of money. My experience is that, in the end, its been worth it. Besides, sometimes, some nice babes stop by! :p
I live in NH, the babe count is pretty low up here. Half of them haven't crawled out of their igloos yet ;) And besides, the wifes gonna be there. Not good to be scoping out a hotty with the boss nearby ;)
Dark sunglasses

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I depends on what you are selling. If it is usefull stuff that you dont need anymore, you will make money.<br /><br />If it is junk and stuff that everybody else already has too much of, it aint worth it.<br /><br />Ken

gaugeguy

Captain

Geez efhenry, I should have posted this a couple weeks ago, that may have gotten the boss to change her mind!! How did you make out, hopefully the judge tossed it out.

oddjob

Commander

Many years ago my brother inlaw and family were comparing garage sale stories and he topped us all.<br /><br />He said a family with 7 boys in an old ford station wagon came over and haggled over a set of hair clippers that he had previously used to groom his dog. He told the fella of the history but man obviously didnt care, bought it and left that morning. Around noon the man came back and said he changed his mind and wanted his money back. Brother in law was dumb-founded, the guy demanded his money back so he gave him back his money just to get rid of him and his brood of sons all with freshly shaven heads.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

That ought teach ya E F, next time leave her rolling in the street and let the city be named in the suit alone. Provided she wasnt blocking the drive of course. :( <br /><br />Oddjob...That is even outside the definition of cheap, downright stinggy!! Ever think about CCP into the home haircut thread? :D