Yanmar Diesel Puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpalmer497

Cadet
I have a puzzling issue that I will attempt to describe and sorry for the length of this post. We just picked up our “new” 2007 Cruiser Yachts 415 Express MY this past weekend in Massachusetts to bring it to Maryland. 90 minutes into our trip, we began to experience issues with the starboard engine. It began to lose power, then surge, then lose lpower until it completely stopped and would not restart. We have twin Yanmar 6LY3-STP 440 HP Diesels. We limped into a marina where a mechanic was able to look at it.

He thought the clamps on the fuel line to the engine need to be replaced which he did. The engine needed to be primed and it started right up. Thought it was an easy fix. Here is the sequence of events that create the puzzle. I am sorry for the length of this, but it is driving me a little crazy.

After we got back on our trip, 90 minutes later, the starboard engine started losing power again. We were running at 2950 RPM, both engines. This time, we switched both engines to the port fuel tank. As soon as we switched it, the starboard engine started purring. We ran that way until fuel was low. We then went back to the starboard tank. Both engines ran well off the starboard tank for 60 minutes. Only the starboard tank started to lose power in this configuration. The port engine ran fine. We switched both engines back to the port tank and got to our destination for the night…both engines ran fine.and the engines ran well again. We checked all fittings twice, everything was tight.

Day 2 – we left Fairfield, MA and continued down to NY (our next stop). This time we ran both engines off their respective fuel tanks. 90 minutes into the trip, the problem resurfaced. We put both engines on the port fuel tank and the starboard engine began to run smoothly again. We ran both engines for 60 minutes on the port tank and switched both back to the starboard tank. We only got 10 minutes into this configuration before the problem resurfaced. Please note that ONLY the starboard engine has a problem in this configuration.We put them back on the port tank and went and got fuel since we were emptying the port tank quickly. We kept switching back and forth since that was how we could run the longest with a problem.

Day 3, - We left NYC and put both engines on their respective tanks. This time, the engines ran for 3 hours at 2850 rpms before the starboard engine problem resurfaced. As soon as we switched both to the port tank, the starboard engine began to run smoothly again. Note, that the starboard engine never exhibited a problem when connected to the port fuel thank…only the starboard tank.

Day 4 – This was to be the last day of the trip. Here is where it really puzzles me. We ran for six hours straight on their respective engines with no problems. The issue did not resurface.

We checked vents, connections, etc. Could this be a fuel line issue? But why does it not manifest itself when it is connected to the port tank. The Port Engine ran regardless of fuel line configuration. The engines only have 400 hours on them and this boat was meticulously kept.

Thoughts anyone? This is a new boat for us and other than this issue, it was a long but good trip.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... It's obviously starving for fuel, you've just gotta figure out Why,.....
It sounds like a tank problem,....

rpalmer497

Cadet
Agreed it is a fuel problem. But when both engines are drawing off the port tank, the engines run well. When we put them on the starboard tank, we have the problem. BUT only the starboard engine. What am I missing?

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Agreed it is a fuel problem. But when both engines are drawing off the port tank, the engines run well. When we put them on the starboard tank, we have the problem. BUT only the starboard engine. What am I missing?
do both motors have separate pickups from each tank? sounds like fuel getting low in the stbd tank and one of the pickups not drawing fuel, and the other one is still getting fuel just fine...

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d say that there is a restriction from the port tank that’s allowing only enough fuel for one engine. Likely caused by a non return valve partially blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.