Yankees Win The 40th Pennant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yankees Win The 40th Pennant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comparison, apples to oranges.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was at the '88 Kirk Gibson Home Run game. No comparison, one of the best moments in Baseball history so it does not take the Yankees to make a great series. What you guys are failing to recognise is an all east coast World Series is bad for the game. Needed another Yankees + Dodgers series . . . ;)

I disagree with the Hendrick/Yankee comparison although I am no Hendrick fan (I am pulling for Martin this Chase though). In NASCAR the money comes from excellence. In Baseball and other pro sports, generally speaking the money comes from Geography, big market vs. small market. Anybody could take on Hendrick, it's not like anybody cares where your garage is located. Others attract big sponsor dollars too, the trick is to turn that into Championships and then the snowball begins . . . This is one reason I love NASCAR. Big sponsors insure the survival of the sport. With a few minor exceptions, sponsors eliminate the riff raff. No drugs as the Sponsor will send you packing whereas in other sports the Uinion and fans will keep big stars coming back. Home Depot, or Lowes or Target, or even Budweiser do not want any association with ANYTHING that might cost them customers. You mess up, you are gone . . . I like that, and might even support corporate sponsorship of other major league sports for that same reason.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I disagree with the Hendrick/Yankee comparison although I am no Hendrick fan (I am pulling for Martin this Chase though). In NASCAR the money comes from excellence. In Baseball and other pro sports, generally speaking the money comes from Geography, big market vs. small market. Anybody could take on Hendrick, it's not like anybody cares where your garage is located. Others attract big sponsor dollars too, the trick is to turn that into Championships and then the snowball begins . . . This is one reason I love NASCAR. Big sponsors insure the survival of the sport. With a few minor exceptions, sponsors eliminate the riff raff. No drugs as the Sponsor will send you packing whereas in other sports the Uinion and fans will keep big stars coming back. Home Depot, or Lowes or Target, or even Budweiser do not want any association with ANYTHING that might cost them customers. You mess up, you are gone . . . I like that, and might even support corporate sponsorship of other major league sports for that same reason.
I hear what you're saying and maybe just using Hendrick as an example wasn't giving a complete picture. NASCAR has turned into "those who have the most, win the most". Along with Hendrick you have RCR(although they looked terrible this year. I'm a Jeff Burton fan), Rousch/Fenway(apparently the "cat in the hat" even needed help) and Gibbs. If you don't belong to one of those teams you're at a disadvantage. There is Stewart/Haas which depending on who you listen to is a spinoff of Hendrick. Not sure I buy that, but they do use Hendrick equipment. There are some exceptions to this, but as a whole, there's only a few teams that dominate the circuit. And the ones that do have the most money. Other teams are merging just to try and stay competitive and remain in the sport. I do give NASCAR credit for trying to run a squeeky clean organization as far as zero tolerance. They've been successful to this point. One example Mayfield. What a meltdown that was for himself.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I I'm a Jeff Burton fan
Me too . . . originally Ward, but have settled for Jeff . . .

Sorry or the hijack guys :redface:

woosterken

Lieutenant

hey,what are you guys talking about :)
i think the last time the cleveland indians won a pennet was like in 1948

now thats funny,i don't care who you are :)

woosterken

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Me too . . . originally Ward, but have settled for Jeff . . .

Sorry or the hijack guys :redface:

We're one of the few. It's funny when they give driver intro's at 'Dega and when peoples favorite driver is announced you hear a loud cheer. When they announce Burton, I jump up and yell "Go Burton" or whatever. I get alot of people giving me a wierd look since I'm about the only one in my section and one of the few at the track rooting for him. Whatdoyado... It's fun....
Not to dwell here, but, when Jeff was asked once why his brother Ward had such a southern drawl and he didn't? Jeff commented, "Ward grew up in the south part of the house"....:D

Anyway, to get back on track....... Go Philly's!!!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Sorry, NY sucks. I hate the city.

Flew in to JFK National once expecting a grand airport, what a dump. In all fairness, that was 30 years ago. They've probaly changed alot since then.....:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can't believe I have to close a thread about a sports team (or maybe I can believe it). The original poster was just excited that his team was going to the series. Now that this has gone from an innocent thread, to a thread insulting the team, to insulting sports in general, and now to insulting a city millions call home, it's CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.