YamaV-MAX 150 OVERHEAT

fozzieb

Cadet
I have a 1997 yamaha v-max 150, and every now and then the overheat temp light comes on and a buzzer sounds. If I take the cover off and let it cool down, it usually stops after a few minutes and goes away. My pump is pumping plenty of water, and the low oil light comes on occasionally. Is there anything to do with the battery like I've read from other posts, or am I into bigger problems? Motor runs great with or without overheat buzzer sounding, just annoying when it goes off, and make me think that the motor is going bad. I always shut down and wait to see if it stops and it usually does after a few minutes. Any help would be nice. Thanks, Fozzieb --- WAKA WAKA!

fozzieb

Cadet
Re: YamaV-MAX 150 OVERHEAT

Just to add a little bit, This is on my Skeeter 185c bass boat.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> what gauge is your overtemp lamp in? if the over temp switch's onthe cyl head trigger the alarm and the lamp the engine will go into speed reduction. what speedometer style are you running. the 3 lamp analog or the 3 bar digital or the early digital with lamps? what RPM's does it occur?

fozzieb

Cadet

The lamp is by itself, as a red light on the panel, next to the horn and other switches. As for the speedometer style it is a skeeter style one that I don't believe it would be digital, not sure, will look it up. Thanks

fozzieb

Cadet

It doesn't occur at any RPM, just sometimes here and there. Sometimes at Idle, and sometimes when I am full bore. Not sure what to do?

fozzieb

Cadet

Well for anyone that cares, I found the problem to be a water pump. It finally for the most part gave out today. It works in spurts. I will replace it now. Thanks for all the help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you have an alarm system issue as well. if the low oil alarm or overheat alarms trigger the engine should go into a speed reduction mode if the RPM was above 2500 when the alarm triggered. sounds like itrs a factory cobble cause yam did not offer seperate lights <br /> but in any case an overheat will not trigger a oil lamp. not gonna happen. its either or not both. and with or without visual or audible <br />alarm indicators speed reduction mode is enabled unless someone wired around it. non yamaha gauges normally create problems.<br /> just how it is.

fozzieb

Cadet

Well I found it to be a water pump issue. I was just getting an overheat alarm, and the light as well, and a low oil light at the same time. I ran it agian today, and the water pump stopped pumping water, and then it pumped it and stopped again. I am just going to replace the water pump for starters. I just need to know how to do this, and where to get a water pump kit from. I guess a good place to start would be from Yahama. Thanks for your help. By the way, how do I determine what type of Yahama ProV I have????

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

post the model number<br /> but I am telling you if your motor was turning over 2500 when the lamp came on and it did not go into speed reduction you have other problems as well.

fozzieb

Cadet

model #P150TLRV<br /><br />By the way it did go into speed reduction, I just didn't know that it did, until today. I found that the water pump stopped pumping water as well and the water pressure dropped from normal to 0 quickly. I turned motor off and let cool down, and tried to start it again, and it ran fine for about 5 minutes and then it stopped pumping water again and water pressure went to ZERO again. Shut her down and used trolling motor from there on.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its a pro series not a v max. trim, 20" shaft, remote control, 1997 model. do the pressure grommet and t-stat service as well. also you might want to retorque the heads.