Yamalube marine grease

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since I own my boat and trailer, I was using Quick Silver high performance grease (92-8M0071841) for everything, from trailer hubs, to outdrive splines, pivots etc.

My local boat shop stopped selling that brand to go with their own brand name 'Amma' that I don't know.

My local ATV/snowmobile shop sells Yamalube marine grease and they swear by it for everything they work on.

Yamaha description is:
Especially formulated to resist wash-off and extreme heat and pressure.
  • Prevents corrosion and rust
  • Lithium soap based
  • Product should be used where grease "A" is specified in service manual

First, is that grease 'A' going to be compatible with the Quicksilver

Are all lithium grease soap based?

Can I use that grease for the hubs, splines etc. (extreme pressure with splines)

Anybody has used it?

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... See my signature,.........

Well, I guess photobucket has screwed it up abit, it says,......
"Any grease is better than no grease at all",.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I use yammie blue grease to lube my outboard and offshore fishing reels.

The stuff is expensive, and there are better greases out there, for wheel bearing use

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I use Wallyworld "Marine Boat Trailer Bearing Grease". It works real well.

I believe the time between greasing is more important than the brand of grease. If you grease once/5 years, no grease will hold up..

In saltwater, grease more than once/year. Freshwater is 1/year.

Don't forget steering rod and outboard swivel bushings, or you will regret it. I use a Quicksilver special lube 101 on steering rods. It is a bit better than standard grease, for that purpose, IMO.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use Wallyworld "Marine Boat Trailer Bearing Grease". It works real well.

I believe the time between greasing is more important than the brand of grease. If you grease once/5 years, no grease will hold up..

In saltwater, grease more than once/year. Freshwater is 1/year.

Don't forget steering rod and outboard swivel bushings, or you will regret it. I use a Quicksilver special lube 101 on steering rods. It is a bit better than standard grease, for that purpose, IMO.
You're right.
Previous owners never lubed the hydraulic rams near the transom, and the pin is stuck solid there.
I tried all kind of penetrating fluids, zip gun (air hammer), and it doesn't move.
Only the rearward pin can be removed, probably because the outdrive has been removed once in a while.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have used Walmart marine grease for years and years on EVERYTHING and I mean everything.I did see red grease on my relatively new trailer wheel bearings so I am sticking with that red grease for those wheel bearings so not to mix different greases as they are not all compatible.Charlie

tpenfield

Staff member
Grease is grease . . . I use a generic marine grease for everything. I'm sort of thinking all the different brands of greade come out of the same factory w/ different labeling :D

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm sort of thinking all the different brands of greade come out of the same factory w/ different labeling :D
The fallacy in this thinking is the realization that "grease" is a generic term for a class of oils formulated to met specific needs and demands.

You wouldn't put 10W-40 "oil" in your lower unit....

Proper grease specification requires all of the components of oil selection and more. Other special considerations for grease selection include thickener type and concentration, consistency, dropping point and operating temperature range, worked stability, oxidation stability, wear resistance, etc.

tpenfield

Staff member
The fallacy in this thinking is the realization that "grease" is a generic term for a class of oils formulated to met specific needs and demands.

You wouldn't put 10W-40 "oil" in your lower unit....
Actually, yes . . . in a pinch I have :D