Yamaha waterspout. Can I disconnect it?

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is the correct way to disconnect the fountain that rains on me from the back of my Yamaha? Is is just a simple matter of taking the hose off or should it be plugged up. Would that redirected jet of water make any difference to top speed?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha waterspout. Can I disconnect it?

do not plug it up it is the water exiting your cooling system, you can redirect it under the deck, it has nothing to do with speed I hate those rooster tails myself.

H2Olog

Cadet

Here is something fun, turn it into a water gun. <br /><br />One of the lakes I visit has a water parade every year. There are always lots of water balloons and buckets of water being thrown from boat to boat. Or in my case boat to PWC. <br /><br />So to fight back I purchased a large water gun, disassembled it and removed everything inside of it. I then ran a hose thru it with about 6 feet sticking out the back. I then disconnected the water hose on the back of the PWC and spliced in the hose for the water gun.<br /><br />Now when I come up next to a boat they look and my water gun and laugh. They keep laughing until I hit the gas, then its game over, I WIN!!!

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The reason I mentioned top speed is because the tail would create a bit of drag shooting 30 feet in the air flat out and it would take at least 1 hp to shoot the water that high. I reckon you could propel a small dinghy at snails pace with the jet of water. If that was turned towards the back of the craft then I was thinking (hoping) I could screw a couple of extra mph out of it. I'm probably dreaming. It's pretty annoying for a rearwards facing passenger when towing a tube etc. I notice that it doesn't pump water when you are flushing the motor so I was unsure whether it actually was part of the cooling system or not.<br />As a side note, I spent the day water skiing 2 up with a lot of trolling around picking up the skier and the whole time I'd left both bungs undone. I was wondering why it wasn't too good out of the holeshot. You reckon a hull full of water might have slowed it down a little? ;)

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

it is the exit for the cooling system water, years ago it was a divert-er in the nozzle and that could rob thrust, sea doo has one but it exits straight back by the pump and if someone wanted to do it they could hook a hose and put in a fitting to shoot it up like yamaha, I personally hate the things and have friends who accidentally get you wet when they cut in front of you, I make them ride to the rear of everyone else, or I hose the hell out of them with my jet, being an observer for water skiing, the stupid thing will drive you crazy.

ziggy

Admiral

so is that for all skis jeff, not pluggin up the waterspout? reason i ask is mine is plugged right at the nozzel..

sloopy

Commander

NO NO NO NO!!!!! It is not likely the exit for the cooling water! It takes a lot more water then that to cool down the engine. There is a little scoop that directs the water! I have a valve on mine so I can turn it off (purchased at lowes). I have never had any problems.

sloopy

Commander

All the service manuals I have clearly show the cooling water exiting in front of the nozzle!

sloopy

Commander

All the service manuals I have clearly show the cooling water exiting in front of the nozzle!

sloopy

Commander

***this applies to four stroke models! and the modern 2 strokes. I don't know about the old ones, it may be part of there water cooling system.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

water exits from the exhaust system not the jet nozzle and if you follow the hose in the boat it goes to your engine usually the head, blocking it will change the flow through the water jackets

sloopy

Commander

I never said the cooling water exits in the nozzle these is usually a separate opening on the back., covered by a rubber flap. all the wave runners I have seen have a hose that leads to the nozzle. I have yet to see a WR that whose visibility stream goes to the engine block, not saying that they don't. But even if some did blocking it off should not cause any harsh effects. It is still getting plenty of cooling water.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

you mean the exhaust port // water from the exhaust exits there after it cools the exhaust pipe but the water from the rooster tail is an exit from the engine, usually from the head, water is pumped in by holes in the pump housing sea doo has an exit by the pump ,if I wanted a darn tail I could pipe it up in the rear deck like yamaha does if he wants to stop it just let it go straight out from the transom and remove the hose that feeds the fitting .

ziggy

Admiral

i don't know about other skis. haddle don't even say what kinda ski he's askin the question about so i guess it's a general question. i don't know about other skis. only my 02 fx140. i just went and looked. sloopy is right. on my pump nozzel there is a scoop, right where it bolts up to the impeller duct assy. . the scoop is in line with the visability spout exit nipple . there is no feed hose going to the visability spout from the engine. i am guessing the water is coming out the jet pump at high volicity, gets scooped up at the nozzel and redirected to the visiability spout. i don't believe on 'MY' ski that it has anything to do with the exit of cooling water from my engine.<br /><br />i plugged my visiablitiy spout from day one. 0.0 hours. now have 198 hrs on my ski w/o ramifications from pluging the visiability spout where it comes out of the pump.

sloopy

Commander

I also have an 02 fx140! And all of the yami's I have seen have the same set up.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I will be on the water again today and now you have my curiosity up so I will look closely at a couple and see,, I was told it was not from the pump but if it is then it would hurt nothing to block it and by doing that the water would exit the nozzle adding a little thrust to the water jet.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

according to all the people with yamaha skies newer ones, they agree that the rooster tail is created at the pump, several have blocked the hose one with a brand new 1300 did it before he put it in the water for the first run because he hates the water spraying all over, so by bad on that one sorry.

sloopy

Commander

But I would highly recommend a valve, sometimes you will want that steam.

ziggy

Admiral

sloopy, at 199.6 hours, i aint ever wanted that p9isser stream yet.i disconnected mine at 0.0 hours, and aint never regreted it... just my opinion....<br /><br />oh, the disconneting the p9isser spout to get more speed aint never been addressed. i dought very seriously that any noteable speed increase would be noted though i wonder what would happen if the scoop was gone on the reductin nozzel. that's a restriction in the exit of high vilosity water jet? even that would probably not be noticeable for top end as it aint that much of of a restriction....my opinion once again.....

sloopy

Commander

260 some hours on ours. You will want it sometimes, if it is a busy day you want people to see you. kind tun to have it on when towing people (dodge the water) It is also nice to be able to get people (girls) wet with it. :p