Yamaha water pump wear plate. Plastic coated?

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all! Trying to get my new to me Yamaha 150TXRS in shape for the season. Bought an OEM water pump kit and went to install the wear plate. The plate feels like it has a plastic coating on it. Not sure if this needs to be removed before installing or if it's just the way the plate is manufactured. Never worked on a Yamaha outboard before , so I have no idea. Anyone familiar with the water pump parts on this motor?

Thanks!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
all of the wear plates I have seen are SS
peel the plastic off if is just a blue film that is easily removed

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
It doesn’t seem to be blue plastic like what you would find on a new appliance or tool. It doesn’t seem to peel off easy. Tried scratching it lightly around where the dowels fit through. Nothing lifted. I defiantly feel a coating like plastic it’s not raw stainless. Is this an anti wear coating like Teflon?

Thanks!

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
Yes. OEM Yamaha part. I tried scraping on the edge of the plate with a razor blade. I just made small scratches. Nothing lifted or came loose. There doesn't seem to be a film that can peel off or be removed. I'm assuming it's a coating to aid in corrosion protection and reduce wear on the impeller. I went and buttoned it up and will install the lower back tomorrow. Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

robert graham

Admiral
I can't imagine any kind of coating on a wear plate or a good reason for having a coating....first quick trip across a sand bar with your motor and the coating would be gone anyway....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Never heard of such a thing myself. Could it possibly be just a coating so it don't start dry on the first fire up?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some BRP / Evinrude plates are coated.----Use it the way it came out of the package.-----Not sure , then call a knowledgeable Yamaha shop for a lowdown.