Yamaha trim/tilt problems

crookedmullet

Seaman
I've got a 2001 150 HPDI yamaha engine that started giving me trim/tilt problems a few weeks ago. I was getting power to the relay box on both the green and blue wires. Continuous power to the relay fried my first trim relay. I traced it back to the keyswitch which broke around the same time the trim was giving me problems. So, thinking it was an easy fix, I ordered another keyswitch and I installed it a few hours ago. At first, the motor tilted up but it wouldn't stop until I had to press the down button. It wouldn't go down until I pressed the down button a few times. It doesn't go up or down very fast, the trim motor sounds like hell. Could my trim/tilt switch on the throttle handle be shorting something out? Where should I begin to look?

ianyoung77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha trim/tilt problems

The keyswtich and engine switch normally connect to a relay in the motor which supplies either negative or positive volts to the tilt motor. I would first disconnect the motor up/down switch and check operation. From there you can check using a meter the operation of the relay and what voltage is being sent by the relay to the tilt motor