Yamaha trim / tilt hydraulic pump not working

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yesterday while out on the river, my trim got stuck in the up position while shored up. Luckily, I remembered the "manual" override switch / valve on the hydraulic motor. I flipped that, stood on the outdrive and it slowly went down (while bubbling hydraulic fluid out the top of my pump reservoir - I have a cracked cap and sometimes it does that under pressure).

This worked great to get us back to the dock, but at the dock, now my drive was stuck in the down position with no pressure to hold it up. I tied up the sterndrive with a bunch of ski rope to hooks and cleats on the boat to hold it up and I trailered it home slowly.

My relays work (they are "clicking"). I assume my pump is shot. It was asked some time ago if these pumps can be swapped out with another brand. I don't recall seeing an answer, so I want to check again if anyone knows of an alternative.

Also, are these repairable? I see forum posts talking about replacing brushes. I've never done this and not sure how I'd go about finding replacement brushes. Is it easy enough or am I going to get in over my head like I did with my raw water pump (what a nightmare the bushing was in that thing)? I am mechanically adept, but don't feel like having to do anything that I cannot accomplish in my garage.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

f-ish crazy

Cadet
I own a Yamaha and had trim issues also, my relay clicked. I to thought pump was shot. Make sure your relay is actually good. I replaced the relay and trim worked perfect. I was nosey and broke the old relay apart and found the contacts inside heavily corroded. My trim was working intermittently for a short period of time before I repaired. When trying to raise as I was driving and at the landing. No issue with lowering but, those contacts did have some corrosion starting on them but apparently not bad enough to cause an issue. I don't know the age of your motor but I would download the service manual (about 14 bucks). The manual does have a good section on the tilt/trim and testing guidelines.