Yamaha T50 any way to increase charging/stator output ?

tkvoice

Cadet
Is there a way to get more charging capacity out of a Yamaha outboard? As my electrical needs are greater than what this outboard can produce.

I have a pontoon with a 2005 Yamaha T50TLRD 50hp outboard. I have lots of power sucking electric gadgets (massive stereo/subwoofer extra amps, sea legs, lighting, etc.) I have dual batteries.
Being a pontoon we rarely drive full open throttle so 95% of the time we putt around the lake at 2500-3000 rpm. My voltage output is 13-14 volts when no electrical gadgets are being used. Since it is a party barge we usually have the stereo cranked which drops the voltage down to 12 volts when putting around. The batteries never charge and slowly deplete so when we dock the batteries are so dead the sealegs won't work. I can run a power cord and charge the batteries up over night using a little 2amp charger. And then I am good for another 2-3 days of use before having to charge over night again.

Cruises are typically 1 hour so that means moving the sealegs twice in 1-hour.

Not sure if larger batteries will help as it just might get me one more day before having to charge manually. What I really need is a regulator/rectifier that can give me more juice also not sure what the stator output is even rated at but if I am using more amps than the stator can put out what can I do to increase the output?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
charge every night or get a small generator.
or solar panels.
please do not disturb everyone else with your loud noise on the water,
that would also be helpful with your battery drain

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Only solution I can think of is to use a lithium battery. It can accept more of the electrical power that the alternator is capable of providing, more quickly. Whereas a lead acid battery will draw less current at any given time and thus take longer to get charged back up.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The F50TLRD alternator is rated at 17 amps. Some of which is used by the motor itself.

If you were to put an ammeter on the battery cables I doubt you will ever see north of 10 amps. With lead acid batteries. I suspect that you would see more than that with a lithium battery.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your party barge stereo is drawing more juice than the motor could ever put out.

Get a few more batteries and an on-board charger and plug into shore power every night (like guys running high power trolling motors do)

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Party time ? ALWAYS kills battery life very fast. Get load test every couple of months. Install biggest battery possible.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Install a small alternator from a foreign car.----Make brackets and adapters.----Modify cowling as needed .----Might need to add a " performance " bulge so cowling fits