Yamaha/Suzuki outboards - better years than others?

Spartans

Seaman
Hello all. I’m thinking of repowering my boat and getting a little bigger HP. I’m thinking of keeping it simple and sticking to used two stroke and no oil injection likely in the 40 hp range.
I like the Yamahas because I see a lot of 40s with power tilt and trim

Like other brands there are some years that people like to avoid. While understanding that an outboard is only as good as how it’s been maintained are there certain model years to avoid?

I’m generally thinking looking between late 80s to early 90s but if I’m wrong go ahead and flame me.

any advice would be appreciated

thanks

Spartans

Seaman
Used Yamaha/Suzuki 2 strokes. Years to avoid ?

Hello all. I’m thinking of repowering my boat and getting a little bigger HP. I’m thinking of keeping it simple and sticking to used two stroke and no oil injection likely in the 40 hp range.
I like the Yamahas because I see a lot of 40s with power tilt and trim

Like other brands there are some years that people like to avoid. While understanding that an outboard is only as good as how it’s been maintained are there certain model years to avoid?

I’m generally thinking looking between late 80s to early 90s but if I’m wrong go ahead and flame me.

any advice would be appreciated

thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The Yamaha 3 cylinder 40 is an excellent motor. Don't let one having oil injection deter from one of those motors. The Yamaha precision blend is an excellent oil injection system.

thatone123

Banned
I believe that with Japanese motor products in general and the very best bulletproof models were made in the 80's when they were trying very hard to impress the US market. I have had early Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi cars and trucks that were amazing with engines built to industrial standards. I now run a 80's Yamaha 55 2 stroke that is a total winner and still runs like new. I know those 80's Yamahas are very good outboards. Suzuki too. Both though seem to have had problems with dissimilar metals used in the water jackets, lower units etc. Maybe stainless steel with Aluminum was not a great idea. Maybe someone knows about this?

Spartans

Seaman
I vaguely remember something about this affecting models starting in around 2000 but can’t confirm as of yet

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Johnson / Evinrude have used stainless shaft since about 1950.-----Some of those motors from the 50's are still running / looking fine.-----Well in salt water all bets are off.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I believe that with Japanese motor products in general and the very best bulletproof models were made in the 80's when they were trying very hard to impress the US market. I have had early Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi cars and trucks that were amazing with engines built to industrial standards. I now run a 80's Yamaha 55 2 stroke that is a total winner and still runs like new. I know those 80's Yamahas are very good outboards. Suzuki too. Both though seem to have had problems with dissimilar metals used in the water jackets, lower units etc. Maybe stainless steel with Aluminum was not a great idea. Maybe someone knows about this?

WhAAAAAT?