Yamaha Sterndrive Engine Coupler

ERock77

Recruit
I have a 4.3L v6 Yamaha Sterndrive. It's been a good and reliable engine for years. Yes, it still works. Up until now. I recently blew the engine coupling, totally stripped out the splines. Can anyone help me find a new or used Yamaha drive coupling? I understand they were all the same. Alternatively is there a cross reference to a sierra, OMC or Merc replacement? I bought a sierra unit for a v6 merc but there's no way it will fit inside the bell housing. I'm stuck for now. Thanks!

Attachments

• 16622602701472550961483251106020.jpg
    16622602701472550961483251106020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 4.3L v6 Yamaha Sterndrive. It's been a good and reliable engine for years. Yes, it still works. Up until now. I recently blew the engine coupling, totally stripped out the splines. Can anyone help me find a new or used Yamaha drive coupling? I understand they were all the same. Alternatively is there a cross reference to a sierra, OMC or Merc replacement? I bought a sierra unit for a v6 merc but there's no way it will fit inside the bell housing. I'm stuck for now. Thanks!

I'm afraid I need to convey the serious situation you are in now. Yamaha no longer makes parts for that sterndrive system anymore because they lost a lawsuit for patent infringement and was ordered to stop making the drives.

No part company hardly wants to touch Yamaha sterndrive either because it is not profitable to make parts for that system.

You will either need to sell the boat as-is, part it out, or obtain a donor boat package that matches the year model of 4.3L V6 you have. The easiest to find will probably be a Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 1 or Gen 2 depending on year model of engine you have.

Some people may say different, but searching for a used or old stock new coupler is a waste of time and money on drive system that you can't get parts for.

That unfortunately is the cards you've been dealt with.

If the motor is older than 1992 for that 4.3L V6, I would ask in the mercruiser section what your options are on outdrive packages.

Hopefully your GM 4.3L V6 engine is a 1992 or later balanced shaft version. Much easier to switch outdrive packages with that motor to use the Mercruiser Alpha one Gen 2 system.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is no cross reference. You can try going to a high volume marina service center to see if one is close enough to be used

ERock77

Recruit
There is no cross reference. You can try going to a high volume marina service center to see if one is close enough to be used
Ok, thanks. It's hard to justify a drive swap for a 28 year old deck boat worth 3k. I'm going to try to use/modify a sierra mercruiser style triangle shaped coupler, part #18-2321, and see if I can get a few more years out of this deal. I'll let you know if it works. If not I'll start begging the wife to buy me a new boat.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Ok, thanks. It's hard to justify a drive swap for a 28 year old deck boat worth 3k. I'm going to try to use/modify a sierra mercruiser style triangle shaped coupler, part #18-2321, and see if I can get a few more years out of this deal. I'll let you know if it works. If not I'll start begging the wife to buy me a new boat.
You may change your mind about the swap after u look at current boat prices…

Only source is used best bet type in part number on google search

There is a complete Yamaha drive incl coupler on eBay now but is expensive

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was referring bringing the coupler in to see what you can use.

however if it was up to me, I would never have bought a yamaha drive.