yamaha saltwater series II 250HP MOTOR info

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have had this boat for a feww months now and it runs great. (32.5 Ft Donzi with twins) i was out running it for its every other day startup and noticed that when i went to max RPM it is rediculously loud. I usually dont run it at WOT as i run out of lake in about a 2 minutes. Also my Left engine runs about 300RPM behind my right and i have to vary the throttles to get them together. I love the boat and never have a problem with it. Also i was wondering if my current numbers are accurate at about 4500 RPM i get about 45 MPH burning 30 GPH. All this info is from the guages.

cousinabe

Re: yamaha saltwater series II 250HP MOTOR info

what are the full model numbers? off the port side bracket.
also, what maint history has been done.

peacekeeper6

i odnt hvae the full numbers i'll get them tomm. they are 98 saltwater series II 250s. Maint is upto snuff compression is good across and all fluids look good.

cousinabe

Have you checked that your spark plug caps are in spec?
Also, clean and TEST your O2 sensors. Make sure they are sending the spec voltage to the ECU.

peacekeeper6

is there a program i can download to plug my laptop to the motor? Like in a car?

cousinabe

no. there is a diagnostic test lamp called a winky blinky that can test certain sensors. it plugs into the oil sensor harness and another wire. it will test any realtime codes that come up. do a forum search on winky blinky.

do you have a manual?
If you plan on servicing these motors yourself, get an OEM manual, DVM, O2 test harness and TPS test harness. They are great motors if serviced correctly.

peacekeeper6

good i like to hear they are dependable, my buddy says that i should premis the gas and not trust the pumps. are these known to blow from weak pumps?

cousinabe

your buddy is wrong. the oil mix system is the best in the business. most guys who opt to premix, don't even mix correctly and the oil ends up sitting in the bottom of the gas tank.

Not knowing what preventative maint has been done, I would look into:
1) replace low pressure fuel pumps
2) replace/clean VST screen and o-ring.
3) clean pressure regulator screen on VST.
4) clean fuel injector screens
5) clean/test O2 sensor for proper output voltage.
6) replace water pump
7) replace engine filter and water separator filter.
8) inspect/clean out popit valve; PRV.
9) link and synch and set TPS.
10) replace thermostats.
11) check that resistance of spark plug caps are in spec.
12) properly adjust the oil linkage rod.
13) clean filter on remote oil tank.

All of this can be found in the service manual.

peacekeeper6

i will work on getting that stuff done when i get it out of the water. Which version of manual should i get?

peacekeeper6

is that the certified shop manual? not a clymer or chilton.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the above LIT # is the yamaha service manual but as we still dont have a model number there is no way to verify what you have.
if they are 97's and not 98's and you use the wrong information then at a minimum your gonna beat youre head on a wall and the maximum is to pop a powerhead due to incorrect tune-up specs.
thats why the model number is so important when actually working on a motor.
the low pressure fuel pump diaphrams tend to last less than 3 years and I reccomend periodic replacement as maint.
yes a ruptured fuel pump diaphram can and will pop a piston or a rod bearing.
the oiling system is very reliable,if correctly maintained.
that also means periodic testing of the alarm system and NEVER remove the engine oil tank strainer without first completly draing the engine oil tank.
the early 3.1L EFI motors had an issue with the stabilizing foot at the bottom of the oil level alarm switch that if transfer becomes inhibited the alarm wont work and the operators first clue may be the rod hanging outside the block.
if the strainer is removed from the engine oil tank the seal on the end of the strainer MUST be retrieved and discarded.
replace with a new seal.
the O2 sensor MUST be periodically cleaned and tested as per the tech bulliten, pay no attention to the flame test in the manual or the tech guide. use the other three tech bullitens with a multimeter and a test harness to properly check O2 sensor output.
yes a faulty output can pop a piston above 4000 RPM.
somewher there is a tech bulliten on the T-stat covers, you need to check for it.
there is also a tech bulliten on both the O2 sensor draw tube and the mid year change in 03 on the mounting gaskets for the O2 sensor(applicble if the powerhead was replaced since mid 03).
maint up to date on an OX66 motor?
I have never witnessed it unless its a motor I sold and have maintained.
a simple quick test of the oil alarm and transfer rate can be done.
insure the remote tank is at least 1/2 full, turn the key on engine off, remove the engine oil tank water trap and allow the tank to drain into a suitable container. about 1" below the low mark the alarm should sound,3 bars flash on the tach and the transfer pump kicks on. with the key still on reinstall the water trap and time how long it takes to almost refill the tank.
transfer pump will run for 180 seconds and should have the engine tank about 2/3rds full at a minimum.
if the alarm wont sound turn the key off and finnish draining the engine tank and pull the engine tank oil switch assy and test as per service manual and the 3.1L oil tank tech bulliten.
remember all the 3 position switch on the engine tank does is command pump ON, pump OFF and if the level drops to far the bottom switch(SW3) simply commands the alarm ON and RPM reduction.
the normally closed switch in the remote tank simply alerts the operator that there is enough oil for automatic transfer. if the switch opens or a wire breaks then the yellow lamp or center bar is lit and automatic oil transfer is inhibited.
for all normal oil transfer functions, other than the above alarm test, the engine must be running for automatic transfer.
thats why we always beat up on the model numbers and since 06 the model AND the seriel numbers, without it we cannot properly ID the motor or its ign/fuel system.
when running and propped correctly that motor should turn 5300-5500 RPM.

peacekeeper6

ok well i will get a the model numbers.

peacekeeper6

the right motor is L250TXRW the left is S250TXRW and there is misc after that which i think is the serial number. here are some pics. i cleaned all the screens, i lifted the sensors out of the motors and both alarms went off and there is a little switch next to the internal tank on both motor what is this switch, its on the right side.

Photo_031509_001.jpg

Photo_031509_002.jpg

Photo_031509_003.jpg

Photo_031509_006.jpg

Photo_031509_007.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I really really hope you followed my procedure and DRAINED the engine tank BEFORE removing the oil switches and replaced the screens correctly on the switches and used a NEW seal when you reassembled them cause if not you may get to post about piston/rod failure due to debris in the pump or a lack of oil cause the old seal got jammed down ther intake pipe.
I dunno why I bother posting cause nobdy ever reads them and nowhere in the above post did I mention removing the switches to test an alarm.
I did post about how to test not only the alarm but the oil transfer rate at one swift simple motion.
I dont have a clue what your chatting about cause there are simply NO sensors on the oiling system only open or closed switches.
I am a vet as well but the navy taught use to read the PMS card and follow the correct procedure or our weapon system may fail to go whiz or bang.
what you have are a pair of very precision high performance 25" transom V76 degree 3.1L EFI yamahas.
mainain them and they run thousands of hours, do the maint incorrectly or not at all and they fail very rapidly.

peacekeeper6

I really really hope you followed my procedure and DRAINED the engine tank BEFORE removing the oil switches and replaced the screens correctly on the switches and used a NEW seal when you reassembled them cause if not you may get to post about piston/rod failure due to debris in the pump or a lack of oil cause the old seal got jammed down ther intake pipe.
I dunno why I bother posting cause nobdy ever reads them and nowhere in the above post did I mention removing the switches to test an alarm.
I did post about how to test not only the alarm but the oil transfer rate at one swift simple motion.
I dont have a clue what your chatting about cause there are simply NO sensors on the oiling system only open or closed switches.
I am a vet as well but the navy taught use to read the PMS card and follow the correct procedure or our weapon system may fail to go whiz or bang.
what you have are a pair of very precision high performance 25" transom V76 degree 3.1L EFI yamahas.
mainain them and they run thousands of hours, do the maint incorrectly or not at all and they fail very rapidly.

what are you talking about, there is a long tube on top, i pulled that tube out, both alarms went off. thats all i was trying to achieve, i havnt even gotten the boat out of the water to do the things you are asking, and i havnt gotten the manual to yet to test anything else. Good job in the Navy I thank you for your service but i havnt even gotten the equivalent to a PMS to test anything. will post when i get the manual and start to test the system components. I just reread the post and understand what happened. the test i did was at the end of the day and the motors were not run after testing teh alarm so i will go and drain the oil tanks and retrive the seal.

Another note what that switch on the side of the motor? In the last picture you can see the switch its light bronw.

peacekeeper6

was that test with 1 or 2 motors? or does it matter? i think those numbers accuratly describe my boat.

cousinabe

those performance numbers were with twins.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

almost everything I just told you about how to test the system CANNOT be found in any manual.
the procedure to test the oil alarm on the 3.1L motors can be found in a tech bulliten due to the switch centering pad can curl and prevent the alarm from sounding or RPM reduction in the event of a loss of transfer.
in that case the operators first inclination there is a problem is cause a rod is hanging outside the crankcase.
when reassembleing the engine oil tank strainer to the switch assy care must be taken to properly orient the switch body to strainer.
there again its in a tech bulliten.
if you look closely at the design of the engine oil tank strainer you will not the actual strainer starts about 1/2" from the bottom and the strainer nipple actually drops into the oil pump intake line and the area between the strainer bottom and the tank has a seal.
if this seal is dislodged any accumulated debris on the tank bottom now flows directly into the oil pump intake.
occasionally I see blown motors that the seal was actually stuffed back into the intake line on reassembly.
quite a bit of the stuff I post really cannot be found in the manual. its from about 30 yrs experience.