Yamaha L4 3.0 seawater pump impeller??

rdoty

Cadet
Does anybody know if there's an aftermarket replacement for the Yamaha L4 3.0 seawater pump impeller? The OEM Yamaha ones I found on the internet are a whopping $120! There's a Jabsco one for about $20 but I don't know what model it would fit. The service manual shows a 10-blade impeller but the Jabsco has twelve.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
all parts for the no longer supported yamaha drive are either obsolete or expensive.

hopefully this nearly 30 year old boat is a family heirloom with sentimental attachment and not a recent purchase.

without knowing diameter and length, spline info, etc you are on your own for a cross to jabso or johnson if there is one

CDNSPORTSTER

Cadet
Does anybody know if there's an aftermarket replacement for the Yamaha L4 3.0 seawater pump impeller? The OEM Yamaha ones I found on the internet are a whopping $120! There's a Jabsco one for about $20 but I don't know what model it would fit. The service manual shows a 10-blade impeller but the Jabsco has twelve.
I have ordered the Jabsco 1210-0001, ($55.00 CDN on Amazon) from my research this is the correct crossover from the OEM part; YSC-70R-12457-00-00
My current installed is a 12-blade - still working great, just old and had sat for a couple of years.
Impeller.jpg
Check this website;

I also ordered a Sierra Thermostat # 18-3550. 140*. I will follow up with info re; the fitment once they arrive and I have had the time to install.
Hope this helps...

Tannerking97

Recruit
I just purchased the jabsco impeller 1210-0001 and installed it on my pump but still not pumping water. Any ideas as to what the problem could be. Already back flushed the system through the lower drive and flushed the system through exhaust. So no blockages. I can remove the pump from the boat and stick inlet in bucket of water and spin with a drill and it pumps fine but will not pump on the boat. I’m thinking maybe a leak somewhere and the pumps sucking air when on the boat. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

tauket2

Cadet
Hi.

I also have the same water pump that is not sucking water. i noticed a small water leak coming from the pump itself. I am thinking that changing the 0-ring and the 2 oil seals could fix the problem. could anyone knowledgeable confirm?

thank you!

CDNSPORTSTER

Cadet
I just purchased the jabsco impeller 1210-0001 and installed it on my pump but still not pumping water. Any ideas as to what the problem could be. Already back flushed the system through the lower drive and flushed the system through exhaust. So no blockages. I can remove the pump from the boat and stick inlet in bucket of water and spin with a drill and it pumps fine but will not pump on the boat. I’m thinking maybe a leak somewhere and the pumps sucking air when on the boat. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
My pump is working perfectly with this Impeller;
It does sound as though you may have an Air leak if the pump functions as you mention when not connected to the Raw Water Hose leading from the drive.

CDNSPORTSTER

Cadet
Hi.

I also have the same water pump that is not sucking water. i noticed a small water leak coming from the pump itself. I am thinking that changing the 0-ring and the 2 oil seals could fix the problem. could anyone knowledgeable confirm?

thank you!
I'm not an expert, really just a Back-yard Mechanic / Gear Head.
I don't believe Oil Seals will effect water leaking - not positive though
My pump works perfectly with the Jabsco impeller. It came with 2 O-rings and a gasket. I only used the Impeller and the Thin O-ring.
(I didn't open the Pully Side of the pump and assumed the gasket and Thick O-ring install on that side)
I had read in another thread of a pump not pulling/pushing water due to an O-ring that was too thick.
Good Luck!