Yamaha FX 140 4-Stroke High Speed Miss

vaboatdoc

Cadet
Bought 2 2002 yamaha FX 140's 4-Stroke. Lake tested when first got them both ran great. A few days later after a long while of riding one began to have a high speed miss, seemed like it missed whenever you cross another boats wake. If anyone has any advice please assist me with any tips. I am a BOAT mechanic (but dont know alot about jet skis) so i have some knowledge on how things on these work. but never messed with any of the four stroke skis especially yamahas

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha FX 140 4-Stroke High Speed Miss

first replace the spark plugs they are known to go bad pretty easily in those engines,, also inspect the air cleaner element,, if you overfill the oil just one time ,,oil will soak the element and make the engine starve for air.

nw4

Recruit
Re: Yamaha FX 140 4-Stroke High Speed Miss

I have a yamaha 4 stroke and it just started giving me some trouble this summer. First couple of weekends ran great top speed than all of a sudden it just would not plain. The rpm's were high but just no speed. Topped out at 30mph and it usually will hit 52-58mph. Any advice please oh how to fix the problem?