yamaha fourstroke crank bearings

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, Im rebuilding a 2004 yamaha f150, can anyone please advise where to get new rod and crank bearings? Yamaha ones are NLA.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hard to believe that these new 4 strokes are not well supported.----One stroke against Yamaha I guess.----Many folks will be disappointed by modern corporate policies !!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You get the idea that they don't want anyone rebuilding them, but shops that sell remans, must get those parts from somewhere!

flashback

Captain
The 150 is a very popular engine, and Yamaha is a reputable company, I'm surprised you can't find parts..

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
You get the idea that they don't want anyone rebuilding them, but shops that sell remans, must get those parts from somewhere!
Yes, ive heard somewhere that the bearings are federal mogul and that the engine has a lot of ford parts in it... but suspicions aren't enough to get me down to the right tolerances needed to build a reliable engine...

anyone ever had success with putting in generic automotive bearings from the auto parts store as long as oil clearance etc is proper?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
local shop in Largo Florida offers reman power heads cheaper than I can buy parts for. includes new block halves, new crank, new pistons/rings and if you need, new rods. if they can get new parts, you should be able to

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Crowley----offers a rebuilt powerheads at about $4000
Yes, but the whole point of me tearing into this engine was to go through the fun of rebuilding a motor and have a learning experience ;)

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
oh well, I guess I will pull the old bearings and see if I can see some federal mogul or timken or skf markings and then go from there. Thanks for the advice everyone!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use ---google ----and the bearing part #.------Seems they are on hand on some shelves.

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright, for people's reference, the yamaha f150 (at least my 2004 TXRC) shares many parts with many ford and jag engines. Main bearings are the same... they have the ford part number stamped into them (not even a yamaha number) - 1S7G6A338. Hope someone finds this useful! Now I can get a set of good bearings for under $100 at the auto parts store. What brand would you all recommend? I was thinking of going with mahle?

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
One more question - about oil clearance. Should I just follow the rule of thumb for 1" diameter 0.001" clearance, or should I go a little up or down for outboards (since they run at high rpm mostly)?

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
One more question - about oil clearance. Should I just follow the rule of thumb for 1" diameter 0.001" clearance, or should I go a little up or down for outboards (since they run at high rpm mostly)?
what does the service manual say? i like to hear it from the guys that made the motor from the ground up what clearances they like unless using aftermarket stuff with their own clearances.

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
what does the service manual say? i like to hear it from the guys that made the motor from the ground up what clearances they like unless using aftermarket stuff with their own clearances.
Well, I got a few updates for you all in case someone is in my situation.
The manual says 0.7 to 2 thou clearance on the mains. I figured if I would be around 1.5 that would be golden. I went ahead and made mistake #1, I ordered some ACL race bearings for a 2.3 Duratec/mazda cx-7 (the bearings that came out of block #1 were all good, and all had ford part numbers on them). Since yamaha uses different bearing colours, I needed to find a manufacturer that made that bearing in under/regular/over sizes in 1 thou increments. Only ones I could find was ACL. When the bearings came in they mic'd at about 8 thou clearance - WAY too much! Uhh that is when I found out that ACL race bearings come standard as 1 thou over, and I also bought the HX variant, which is another thou over!

But wait... that still brings me to 6 thou if I buy the regular variant - still too much! I am kinda just stuck at this stage thinking if I should try get the mahle standard size, or just say screw it and go visit the dealer (I got super lucky with my block/crank combo, all the bearings are the same size!)

stresspoint

Ensign
it looks as if you are going to have to use the ford part # on the OEM bearings to get the correct bearings .? what colour marking on them.
? has the crank been ground at some stage of its life. or was the crank possibly worn ( measure to see what spec it is)
the reason bearings come in 3 sizes from the factory is because these cranks vary in size ,PIA i know. also people clean up the journal's by nipping / linishing a few thou off.
this is why i posted , measure /compare the ACL race against the ones that come from the motor. its very easy to get it wrong as you have now found..

Last edited: