Yamaha 90TRL propeller issue

brodius

Seaman
I recently purchased this 2008 motor and the cotter pin that locks the nut for the prop has rusted out and i cannot get it off. I have tried pentrating oil and tapping with a punch but i dont want to over do it. What is the best was to remove this so i can install new one without damaging anything? Photo attached.

Attachments

• yammy prop.jpg
    yammy prop.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I recently purchased this 2008 motor and the cotter pin that locks the nut for the prop has rusted out and i cannot get it off. I have tried pentrating oil and tapping with a punch but i dont want to over do it. What is the best was to remove this so i can install new one without damaging anything? Photo attached.
Tough one. The only thing I can think of, is to cut or shear off each end so you can get the nut off, remove the prop and then have the clearance to drill it out.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Tough one. The only thing I can think of, is to cut or shear off each end so you can get the nut off, remove the prop and then have the clearance to drill it out.
I was thinking the same thing.
maybe cut the brass nut to get it off and then the pin ends with a drimmel tool

brodius

Seaman
i sheared off eack end until i could get the brass nut off then i could drill the pin out. thanks for the help

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
i sheared off eack end until i could get the brass nut off then i could drill the pin out. thanks for the help
that is good news.
how did you shear off the ends of the cotter pin with the nut in the way?